PDA

View Full Version : lokking for a Ibook to use for internet ?

tola5
Apr 2, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hallo I are lokking for a Ibook to use for internet, what it that ende to ahvde can you please tell me, I only nede it to internet and maby to se movie but that not the primer that are internet, so what it the min. mhz ? or you know som ther havde one for sale :)

KurtangleTN
Apr 2, 2007, 06:08 PM
Well, I just got my first Mac, an iBook G3 (800mhz) and can say it is pretty fast, and i'm pretty much doing what your doing, Internet and multimedia.

Depending on what you want with it, it can go from 200-350 for the 800mhz (maybe more, depending on accessories)

You will need an airport card for wireless internet, and because Apple no longer makes them you'll be paying anywhere from 50-80 for them on eBay.

Frankf300
Apr 2, 2007, 09:41 PM
Yea, my iBook G3 (specs in sig) was my first Mac and I've had it for about 6 months now. I got my iBook from a trusted store online as a used/refurb. It came from them with the power brick, Airport card installed, and 256mb RAM. I now have it at 640mb RAM. Otherwise what you see in my sig is what I got for around $490. Granted, I would say that was stupid of me to pay when I look at it now, but o well. I just wanted something from a trusted store and not some Joe Schmo, plus the airport card was a huge plus and necessity for me. I also wanted the 40gb hard drive. Did I pay a bit too much? Yes. but I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

For your purposes I see no reason why a 500mhz or 600mhz G3 wouldn't meet your needs. I got the 900mhz because it is actually my main computer. Safari, Mail, iTunes, iCal, Photos, iPod and it handles it awesome. For you I'd say if you want an iBook that will run OS X smoothly for what you want...a 500mhz-600mhz should be fine. You could most likely find those for around $200-300. I see no reason for a G4 iBook based on your needs. The iBook G3 is still extremely capable of handling everyday tasks plus a little more with the wonders of running OS X. :D

zioxide
Apr 2, 2007, 10:19 PM
IF you're going to buy an iBook, get a G4. That will give you the opportunity to run leopard if you max out the ram. G3s won't be supported.

drake
Apr 2, 2007, 10:33 PM
Be sure to get one with a good spell checker. :p

SkyBell
Apr 2, 2007, 10:41 PM
IF you're going to buy an iBook, get a G4. That will give you the opportunity to run leopard if you max out the ram. G3s won't be supported.

Well who says he needs Leopard?

I have an iBook G3 800 MHz with 256 MB RAM, and it does all you described just fine with 10.4.8

zioxide
Apr 2, 2007, 10:47 PM
Well who says he needs Leopard?

I have an iBook G3 800 MHz with 256 MB RAM, and it does all you described just fine with 10.4.8

Nobody says he needs Leopard.. that's why I said "opportunity". Anyways, you can probably get a G4 for just a little bit more money than a G3, so it makes sense to get a newer processor.

mokeyjoe
Apr 4, 2007, 04:22 AM
The other advantage of the G4 iBook is that it's likely to come with Airport built in.