PDA

View Full Version : Prompter / Slideshow: How hard would this be?

hotwire132002
Apr 2, 2007, 04:04 PM
I'm looking into automation for a (short-staffed) TV venture I'm working on. I've seen programs like Vara's VideoCue or Serious Magic's (now Adobe's) Visual Communicator, which will automate all the graphics, video clips, etc. for a pre-recorded presentation. These are almost exactly what I need...

... but here's one (crucial) thing none of these programs can do -- and that's display a full-screen graphic to an external monitor. Some of the programs can display their final output, but I need to drive an over-the-shoulder monitor that's built into our set. I simply need to run through a serious of images, timed to the script, on an external monitor.

Here's my question. (Considering I haven't programmed since the days of QBASIC on DOS) How hard would it be to make a simple program that would scroll through a script on one monitor, and trigger slides (full-screen) when hitting set points in the script on another monitor? I figure this is the most viable solution, and would do a good bit of what I need.

If there was any way to integrate this (via Applescript, perhaps?) with a program that could switch cameras and run graphics (like VideoCue, or even Vara's higher end program WireCast), that would be awesome -- but baby steps first ;-).

Anyway, if any of you programmers have any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!