Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I want to mount an FTP server how do I do this, and yes i have an account??

i need to read and write

Your question is hard to answer because one does not "mount" servers one mounts filesystems. So, "mount" is not what you want to do.

You are asking in a "programming" forum so I assume you are writting some software that needs to access an ftp server. There are quite a few ways to do this which to use depends on exactly you want to do. Can you give more details.

If yo are asking how to do this from the user level application you are asking in the wrong place but still I would have to repeat "There are quite a few ways to do this which to use depends on exactly you want to do. Can you give more details"

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I'm not sure how to create a dmg file,

Put the stuff you want to go in the disk image in a folder

Then load /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

then go to File==>New==>Disk Image from Folder and choose the folder you have just created.

michael-appleru

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Minnesota
I want to create a disk image directly to a quotaless account and then open the disk image in the quotaless to mount it and not use any space on my computer

room on my computer:10GB
Room on server:10000GB

I want to create a 100GB disk image so i can back up my data

SUMMARY

use disk utility to create 100GB disk image directly to server

open image on server without downloading it

put files on disk image

quotaless wil not allow .dmg file types!!! where's a place that does??

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
does FTP even support his kind of thing?

You basically want to use an FTP server as a network drive, and 'backup' your huge data directly to the FTP, on the fly, without consuming space on your own machine? hrmm.

Do you know what the remote machine operating system is? do you have an account on it?

I would probably use rsync personally. Otherwise, is samba running on the remote server?

just providing options, not trying to have a dig.... It would be interesting if you could mount an FTP server's folder as a mountpoint/drive and 'work' off it like that! heh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.