PDA

View Full Version : Amputee asked to prove his disability

BoyBach
Apr 3, 2007, 09:32 AM
A man with no legs was asked to prove he was disabled before being allowed on to a bus in Manchester.

Double amputee Brian Callaghan, 60, was asked for his disabled pass entitling him to free travel, while boarding the number 17 First bus to Middleton.

"I've got no legs, it's pretty obvious," he replied.

Bob Mason, of First Bus services, apologised to Mr Callaghan for any embarrassment and said an investigation into the incident had been started.

Mr Mason, First's service delivery director, said he was "saddened" to hear about Mr Callaghan's experiences.

"I'd like to apologise to him for any embarrassment and discomfort he experienced," said Mr Mason.

"We need to establish all the facts so that we can learn what transpired and introduce steps, if necessary, to ensure there is no repeat at any time in the future.

"We would be more than happy to send a representative from the company to meet with Mr Callaghan to discuss his concerns."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6521979.stm

This is just plain bonkers.

Applespider
Apr 3, 2007, 09:36 AM
Probably just a jobsworth driver.

Question is - has the bus company scared the 'common sense' out of its bus drivers by insisting on passes being shown or else the drivers get disciplined?

Or was he just one those sadist drivers who wait til passengers run to the door before shutting it in your face and driving off?

In general, I've got a lot of time for bus drivers considering the amount of crap they have to put up and the level of pay they get in return, particularly in comparison to some of the Tube staff.

Scarlet Fever
Apr 3, 2007, 09:44 AM
reminds me of a story i heard a while ago

and elderly man, who was an ex-mayor of the area, went into a liquor shop, and got asked for ID to prove his age when he tried to buy something.

its all pretty bonkers...

Lau
Apr 3, 2007, 12:56 PM
Well, as ridiculous as it seems, the linked article says the driver asked for a pass because he just got on the bus without showing it. It's fairly obvious that he didn't have legs, and so that was over the top to shout back at him. But it's good practice to expect everyone to show a pass, because you're less likely to offend someone by having to ask for it. If someone got on just after him who perhaps looked as if they might be disabled, but the driver wasn't sure, do you then risk asking and offending, or not?

If he'd let him on without a pass, there's nothing to say he wouldn't have thought "Bastard driver thinks just cause I've got no legs I'm disabled! I've got a good job and I can pay my way! How dare you assume that...", you know? If you expect everyone to either show a pass or pay for a ticket, it avoids that sort of situation.

-----------------

It's a bit like IDing anyone who looks under 21 for booze (at 18), because then you can explain that it's not that they look 17, it's just we ID everyone under 21. Another tough one is OAP discounts – I used to work at a cinema and if someone didn't ask for an OAP ticket and wasn't obviously 85, I'd ask them for the adult price and would usually get an "Oi, I'm an OAP" which to my mind was better than charging it as an OAP and offending them if they weren't. However, it was always a dilemma of someone looked 60ish, and if they didn't challenge the adult price, do you then say "Look, you can get in for £3", or do you assume they know and are either under 60 or value pride over money?! Tis a minefield...

mkrishnan
Apr 3, 2007, 01:07 PM
But it's good practice to expect everyone to show a pass, because you're less likely to offend someone by having to ask for it.

I tend to agree... I think it's best to just have a single policy that is implemented evenly for everyone, and not get into the habit of having people make "if she/he looks like..." kinds of decision calls. It's more open and upfront for everyone.

Abstract
Apr 3, 2007, 07:41 PM
In some ways, I agree. But, this man has no legs.........um........I'll leave it at that.

And why should the bus company apologise? So he was asked for ID. And?