PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone play Go?

cayley
Apr 3, 2007, 02:46 PM
What are some good Go clients/servers?

Agilus
Apr 3, 2007, 04:11 PM
What are some good Go clients/servers?

I play Go on occasion. Here's what I've played on/heard of:

Goban - A nice little native Mac program that you can play against GnuGo with, or analyze SDF files with. It might also work with some online servers.

DragonGoServer.net - You can play correspondence games online here, no client required other than a web browser. Some people even play fast games on it. This is what I played on when I played regularly. I haven't been active on there for a year or so, though.

Kiseido Go Server (http://www.gokgs.com/) - I played on here once or twice, but they had a java client back then. Looks like they have a downloadable client on their web page.

Actually, I'll just link you to the Sensei's Library wiki. They have -all- sorts of resources for the Go junkie. http://senseis.xmp.net/ In particular, you can check out their entry on Go Servers: http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoServers

Have fun and good luck! :)

Agilus
Apr 3, 2007, 04:15 PM
Oh, and I haven't played in a while, but if you're looking for someone to play against, I'd be up for a match sometime.

My username is Severian on Dragon Go Server.

cayley
Apr 3, 2007, 05:25 PM
Oh, and I haven't played in a while, but if you're looking for someone to play against, I'd be up for a match sometime.

My username is Severian on Dragon Go Server.

Thanks for the info and links. I haven't played in a while either, but I had the sudden urge :) This site maybe of interest to you: www.gobase.org They have a nice database of pro games.

Corrosive vinyl
Apr 3, 2007, 05:38 PM
I am new to go and don't know much about it, but am interested in it.. what are good resources to check out to learn how to play? either online or at the library, and what is that game otello, or is that a seperape entity?

cayley
Apr 3, 2007, 05:47 PM
I am new to go and don't know much about it, but am interested in it.. what are good resources to check out to learn how to play? either online or at the library

The Sensei sight mentioned earlier appears to have some good beginner material. When I first started, I also read a few books... I forget the title, but the author was Janice Kim. Other than that, play, play, play and look at other people playing.

Agilus
Apr 3, 2007, 06:08 PM
I am new to go and don't know much about it, but am interested in it.. what are good resources to check out to learn how to play? either online or at the library, and what is that game otello, or is that a seperape entity?

Sensei's library is a great resource for learning. Also, like cayley said, just play. Open an account on Dragon Go Server and give it a try. I'd suggest playing on some smaller boards first (9x9, 13x13), to play fast, and to not worry too much about how you do at first. Just get through some games, and see how you feel about it. If you start out with a 19x19 game on Dragon Go, it might take a month or two to finish it if you're not playing quickly with someone.

It's not the same game as Othello. The two games are completely different except that the game pieces look similar.

Agilus
Apr 3, 2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info and links. I haven't played in a while either, but I had the sudden urge :) This site maybe of interest to you: www.gobase.org They have a nice database of pro games.

I've been to gobase.org. I didn't study that much, and was much more interested in reading books and just playing. Maybe if I have the time to really get into it in the future I'll try to analyze pro games. However, looking at them at my current skill level would probably just confuse me. :)

Agilus
Apr 3, 2007, 06:13 PM
Oh, above, when I said, "Play fast," I meant in relation to the normal game on Dragon Go Server. Since the games are correspondence games, anything faster than one move a day can probably be considered "fast". Sorry if there was any confusion. I didn't want you to mistakenly think I meant, "Don't think about your moves and just go fast."