PDA

View Full Version : Airport and Cordless Phones

vwcruisn
Jun 12, 2003, 08:46 PM
Im looking to pick up a new cordless phone, but I heard some 2.4 ghz phones interfere with some wi-fi. So I was also looking at the 5.8 ghz phones as well. Does anyone know if the airport extreme interferes with either of these frequencies? Also, sort of off topic... can anyone recommend a good cordless phone with answering built in?

Thanks!

e-coli
Jun 12, 2003, 09:55 PM
Yep. I have a 2.4 jiggawatt phone, and Airport drives it bonkers. Go with the 5.whatever.

Bill F
Jun 12, 2003, 09:58 PM
I've got the 5.8 specifically because of that. Works great.

Bill

solvs
Jun 12, 2003, 11:24 PM
Except that some 5.8 GHz phones also use the 2.4 GHz freq. Unless you need the range or extra security, go with a Digital 900 MHz Panasonic. Amazon has a couple with all the features you'd ever use for $40 to $90. Why pay more? Most tests show that the 900s are just as good as the 2.4s, and the 5.8 don't really offer much more.

Panasonic KX-TC1743B 900 MHz Cordless Phone with Caller ID, Answering Device & Speakerphone (Black) - $85.95

I have the non-answering machine version, couldn't be happier.

bbarnhart
Jun 13, 2003, 06:40 AM
We've got a 900 Mhz cordless phone and we recently switch from a dead Apple Base Station (graphite) to a SMC wireless router. We keep the iBook next to the cordless phone base station in the kitchen. For some reason, we have a lot of problems getting the iBook to connect to the network when it is near the cordless phone base station.

When we move the iBook away from the cordless phone base station it works fine. I never had this problem with the Apple Airport Base Station.