PDA

View Full Version : Macs and consoles?

Benjamin Black
Apr 3, 2007, 03:19 PM
I didn't see a previous thread regarding this, so I thought I'd ask...

Does anyone have any experience/advice regarding using a video game console (PS2 or X-BOX 360) with an Intel Mac? Elgato's EyeTV 250 and Hybrid claim to make this possible with zero-latency. Anyone used either of these, or something else?

I would like to use a MBP 2.16 Core 2 Duo as my screen to play some Madden 07 while away from home for the next several weeks....will this work or will it d-r-a-g-g-g-g-g?

Thanks in advance for your info!

Chone
Apr 3, 2007, 03:21 PM
An elgato will work but make sure the model is specifically designed for gaming and you'll be fine.

Benjamin Black
Apr 3, 2007, 03:28 PM
Have you used an Elgato/console/Mac? If so, which one? If I'm not mistaken, they all claim to allow game play with your Mac, but each model is quite a bit different...for instance the 250 claims to process the signal before it reaches your computer, and the Hybrid says zero latency through an analog signal?

I'd just really like someone's input from hands-on experience, rather than have to play the "wait for shipping-wait dammit this isn't working-return product-try again game."

giganten
Apr 3, 2007, 04:23 PM
I am looking for something like this too.
Maybe this can help?

http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/faq/more/443/

http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/faq/more/453/

xparaparafreakx
Apr 3, 2007, 05:29 PM
Remember that you will be playing your games in 480i using the hybird.

Benjamin Black
Apr 3, 2007, 05:40 PM
So it looks like the Hybrid is the better deal...it's about $100 cheaper than the EyeTV 250, plus it's bus-powered, which is ideal for my purposes for use with a MBP...

What does 480i mean? Interlaced? Does this mean the picture is gonna be weird/jagged/blurred?

Are there any alternatives to the Elgato products?

speakerwizard
Apr 3, 2007, 06:49 PM
Hey, i use a wii with an elgato hybrid and it works fine, this is with 2gb of ram, no delays

Benjamin Black
Apr 3, 2007, 07:06 PM
THANK YOU speakerwizard! This is what I was hoping to hear. How does the picture look? Someone commented about 480i being the largest size possible. Do you run the system in full screen mode? adjust the lcd's resolution?

giganten
Apr 4, 2007, 12:38 AM
Hey, i use a wii with an elgato hybrid and it works fine, this is with 2gb of ram, no delays

Okay so you don't have any problems with this?

Some Games published on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii Virtual Console might not work on the Hybrid. PAL 60Hz input is not supported, and some widescreen content may not be accessible.

Wii (not all games - Virtual Console might be an issue)

I have a PAL machine so I don't know if I should get this.

200 posts

speakerwizard
Apr 6, 2007, 04:41 PM
THANK YOU speakerwizard! This is what I was hoping to hear. How does the picture look? Someone commented about 480i being the largest size possible. Do you run the system in full screen mode? adjust the lcd's resolution?

hi sorry for delay, i could send you an actual screen grab if you would like? i just change eyetv to composite input and stretch picture (it doesnt stretch but goes proper fullscreen)