PDA

View Full Version : Airport or USB for an iBook G3?

KurtangleTN
Apr 3, 2007, 10:17 PM
So, I need wireless on my iBook G3.. Airport cards go from pretty much 55-80 USD, and are only 11mbps.. should I be worried? My connection I believe is 8mbps..

But the thing is, doesn't wireless work where just because it sends at 11mbps, doesn't mean you really get 11mbps.. With interference you could get 1mbps, compared to the potential 5 or so with 54mbps..

How is the signal strength with the original airport cards? I'm going to be pretty far away.. so want to make to sure i'm not going to disconnect and reconnect all the time..

So, the other option is USB.. most now go for about 40-50 with 54mbps.. now i've heard bad things about kernel panics, and just overall frustrations.. anyone have one that works well..

Thanks again!

sysiphus
Apr 3, 2007, 10:48 PM
Just get the Airport card. You'll thank yourself for the integration, and besides, the USB 1.1 on the G3 iBook is too slow to give you a speed advantage from the USB dongle.

KurtangleTN
Apr 3, 2007, 11:01 PM
Ah I forgot all about 1.1 over 2.0..

Thanks! Will probably be picking up the airport card in the next week or so :)

me hate windows
Apr 4, 2007, 12:06 AM
Or, if you like cutting things up and don't want to spend much money, you can do this:
1. Buy an Orinoco WaveLan card for 16 bucks shipped on eBay.
2. Cut it up so it fits in the iBook and solder the antenna connector to it.
3. Make a ghetto masking tape and Sharpie AirPort logo.
4. Paint your iBook so it looks cooler.

Simple.:p

KurtangleTN
Apr 4, 2007, 09:19 PM
Ha, I have seen that before. Not sure I'd like to do that though!

Another question, does the original card support WPA?

SuperCompu2
Apr 4, 2007, 09:26 PM
iBook G3's get incredible reception with internal Airport cards. I'd go for the AP card in a heartbeat. Besides, the prices will only go up for those old cards, so when you get around to selling the iBook you could part out the card for extra dough. :D

KurtangleTN
Apr 4, 2007, 09:56 PM
iBook G3's get incredible reception with internal Airport cards. I'd go for the AP card in a heartbeat. Besides, the prices will only go up for those old cards, so when you get around to selling the iBook you could part out the card for extra dough. :D

Alright thats great news, I was a bit worried about that.. good to know!

I'll probably give my iBook to a family member if I upgrade (which I probably will within the next year or so) to a MB or MBP, but it's good to know the AP card won't lose it's value if I were to sell it.

Do you know if it supports WPA?

Snide
Apr 4, 2007, 10:15 PM
Yes, the original Airport cards support WPA - as tested on G3 iMac and Powerbook Pismo.

KurtangleTN
Apr 6, 2007, 05:22 PM
Ok great, thanks a ton!