Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old cholo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
So. California
i really like the sony products because of their nite vision infer red system any pros or cons??? also is sony gonna be friendly to my imac??? its new, thanks in advance

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
And your question is ..... ?

Just guessing from your heading, you're wanting to know if Hi8 or DV would be better to work with your iMac. If so, there isn't any comparison; Hi8 is an old, outdated analog format while DV is a digital format. Hi8 would have to be converted to digital for capturing while DV can easily be captured via Firewire without converting (or quality loss).

-DH

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
There's also Digital 8 which uses Hi8 tapes, but records on them in DV. When I was buying a few years ago, they were a few hundred dollars cheaper than the miniDV tape based machines.

They aren't as compact because of the much bigger tape mechanism, but if you're on a budget and the price difference still exists it might be an attractive option.

Mine is a Sony DCR-TVR530, it has the nightshot function. I haven't done much more than play with that for a few minutes so couldn't really tell you if it's a good or bad implementation, but it does work. Mostly I use mine to record stuff with the kids. As the previous poster mentioned, it's as easy as loading iMovie, switch to VCR mode on the camera, and plugging it into the firewire port.

shellbryson

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2006
Edinburgh
There's also Digital 8 which uses Hi8 tapes, but records on them in DV. When I was buying a few years ago, they were a few hundred dollars cheaper than the miniDV tape based machines.

They aren't as compact because of the much bigger tape mechanism, but if you're on a budget and the price difference still exists it might be an attractive option.

Mine is a Sony DCR-TVR530, it has the nightshot function. I haven't done much more than play with that for a few minutes so couldn't really tell you if it's a good or bad implementation, but it does work. Mostly I use mine to record stuff with the kids. As the previous poster mentioned, it's as easy as loading iMovie, switch to VCR mode on the camera, and plugging it into the firewire port.

We've got an old Sony DCR-TV--something, that records in Digital8 format on Hi8 tapes. It's been great over the years, but the size annoys me and the picture quality isn't great by todays standards (which is why in another thread I'm looking for a good replacement). I don't like these big cameras. You get bored of carrying them around all day, and the battery lives aren't that great. Having said that, works perfectly with my Mac over firewire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.