Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
Recently my Canon XM1 died on me halfway through a shoot (talk about timing) and I just dismissed it as a flat battery. After attempting to recharge the battery and get the camera working again I realised it wasn't a flat battery after all. Took it to a Canon dealer in Manchester and they confirmed that is was dead; something to do with corroded wiring if I remember correctly. Anyhoo, I've decided instead of getting my XM1 repaired that it's time for a change and I'll get a new camera. I'm stuck between the XM2 and Sony HDR-FX1, both being fantastic cameras and both I've used in the past.

I must admit I'm drawn closer to the XM2 due to its size and similar layout to my XM1, it's cheaper too. But then again, isn't the XM2 due an update? I dunno, I've been out of the whole check-on-camera-update-and-lifespan game for a while so I have no idea.

The FX1 on the other hand, is a camera I've had my eye on since its release. I'd love the availability of HD capture and supreme SD quality but size and price are putting me off.

So yeah, give me a hand if you can, I've got a budget of £1600 to spend on my next beast. Any help is much appreciated.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
What's your budget and what kind of shooting do you do? If your camera makes you money I'd definitely lean more towards the FX1 an the MX2. I wouldn't be surprised if the MX2 is the end of that line as Canon is moving everything over towards HDV.

Do you mean the XL1 and XL2?

P-Worm

The XM1/2 are the PAL versions of the GL1/2.

Lethal

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
What's your budget and what kind of shooting do you do? If your camera makes you money I'd definitely lean more towards the FX1 an the MX2. I wouldn't be surprised if the MX2 is the end of that line as Canon is moving everything over towards HDV.

Lethal

I shoot primarily sports (namely parkour/freerunning) but I do like to shoot random arty pieces. The thing I loved about my XM1 is the small size allowed me to get certain angles that an FX1 couldn't even fit into.

Yeah, I thought the XM2 was nearing the end of its life. If Canon release a HDV version of it I think I'll go with that. Oh, and my budget is £1,600 so roughly $3,000.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I shoot primarily sports (namely parkour/freerunning) but I do like to shoot random arty pieces. The thing I loved about my XM1 is the small size allowed me to get certain angles that an FX1 couldn't even fit into.

Yeah, I thought the XM2 was nearing the end of its life. If Canon release a HDV version of it I think I'll go with that. Oh, and my budget is £1,600 so roughly $3,000.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the XH-A1/XH-G1 were the HDV replacements/versions of the GL2 (like the XL-H1 replaced the XL-2)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.