Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
A shame they did not upgrade the graphic card options as well.

Well, at least the complaining will end now that they finally ship Quad-core processors in the Mac Pro line up.

And it's only a $1498 upgrade for the standard configuration to boot.

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
Awesome! And I thought they were going to cap off at 2.66 for the 8 core pros.

p.s. Take the apostrophe out of your title. The Mac Pros are not posessing anything.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Awesome! And I thought they were going to cap off at 2.66 for the 8 core pros.

p.s. Take the apostrophe out of your title. The Mac Pros are not posessing anything.

They posses the power of 8-core processing!
and the power to make me go "hommana hommana hommana"

P.S. don't you mean "possessing" ? :D

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
Where are the blu-ray drives? This update doesn't make sense. I'd like to think that they were waiting for NAB but got sick of all the complaints/dip in sales, so they rushed out the octo as a bto option but this doesn't make sense. There were other features ppl were expecting too, like new graphics cards. I doubt they will drop a new form factor with new features in a fortnight now. They were obviously just waiting to get clovertown to 3 Ghz so that their product line was differentiated enough.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
CDN store now shows 8 cores as well

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore/

kwood, i'm pretty sure the displays were at $699. i only remember this b/c i bought one when they first came out (gulp...1699 cdn). DOH!

i'm actually pretty disappointed by the lack of price cut on current models. I know they don't HAVE to, but i was kind of hoping the prices would drop a bit.

MAYBE, without a significant announcement and press release, this means that newly designed mac pros will be released in June as the rumour is abound.

cheers,
keebler

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Where are the blu-ray drives? This update doesn't make sense. I'd like to think that they were waiting for NAB but got sick of all the complaints/dip in sales, so they rushed out the octo as a bto option but this doesn't make sense. There were other features ppl were expecting too, like new graphics cards. I doubt they will drop a new form factor with new features in a fortnight now. They were obviously just waiting to get clovertown to 3 Ghz so that their product line was differentiated enough.

simple post-update depression.
rumors fly around so much we always expect more than we get.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore/

kwood, i'm pretty sure the displays were at $699. i only remember this b/c i bought one when they first came out (gulp...1699 cdn). DOH!

i'm actually pretty disappointed by the lack of price cut on current models. I know they don't HAVE to, but i was kind of hoping the prices would drop a bit.

MAYBE, without a significant announcement and press release, this means that newly designed mac pros will be released in June as the rumour is abound.

cheers,
keebler

If you look at the store on the Displays' icon it says "New Prices". I have also been comparing prices of the 20" displays' as well. The price did indeed drop.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
How shameful of Apple! The current quad line has been the same price for almost a year! Same crappy ram, hd space, and graphics card! WTF! What computer stays the same price with no upgrades for almost a year! What a complete rip off. I love Apple but F this. seriously. An expensive "super computer" with non super parts!

Should we see some well deserved price cuts or upgraded components in the next few months?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
after all this waiting, nothing but a super-expensive ultra high end option? No change whatsoever to the base configuration, any of the options, or any of the pricing... just the 8 core high end. too bad.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Still no decent graphics options. I want to buy a Mac Pro this year, but I am not willing to buy without an NVidia 8800 (or 8900 if we have to wait that long) series card. And I'm not willing to pay for the workstation class card either :(

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
i'm not quite sure what the diff. is between the 3.0 GHz quad and 8 core... they are 3.0GHz total or each chip, i don't understand
Each core is 3GHz. which means a total of 24Ghz per processor...although it doesn't work quite like that - explaining it more is probably another thread...and probably for someone that understands it better than I do :eek:

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
after all this waiting, nothing but a super-expensive ultra high end option? No change whatsoever to the base configuration, any of the options, or any of the pricing... just the 8 core high end. too bad.

Agreed, price drops and/or spec. upgrades would be welcomed.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
i'm not quite sure what the diff. is between the 3.0 GHz quad and 8 core... they are 3.0GHz total or each chip, i don't understand

The way I understand it

2 x 3.0 Dual Core option is 2 chips in the machine, both chips having 2 cores = total 4 cores.

2 x 3.0 Quad Core option is 2 chips again, only each chip has 4 cores = total 8 cores

each chip runs at 3.0Ghz

...I think

zign

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
London
Each core is 3GHz. which means a total of 24Ghz per processor...although it doesn't work quite like that - explaining it more is probably another thread...and probably for someone that understands it better than I do :eek:

4 cores in each processor - 8 in total....

zign

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
London
The way I understand it

2 x 3.0 Dual Core option is 2 chips in the machine, both chips having 2 cores = total 4 cores.

2 x 3.0 Quad Core option is 2 chips again, only each chip has 4 cores = total 8 cores

each chip runs at 3.0Ghz

...I think

4*2=8 cores :) (you edited your post :) ) It makes a much stronger statement to say 8 cores instead of 2 quad-core

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.