PDA

View Full Version : Renting PowerBook G4 or iMac G4/G5

cpjakes
Apr 4, 2007, 11:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm in charge of putting together a live concert that requires four computers for some realtime processing. The programmer calls for G4 or G5 computers with 10.4.x, admin access, and displays that can do 1440 x 900 or better.

I'll also need shipping, as the concert will be in Buffalo, NY and I don't think we have anyone local.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
cpjakes

Xylene
Apr 4, 2007, 12:05 PM
What's your budget? You might be better off buying some used machines somewhere.

cpjakes
Apr 4, 2007, 12:08 PM
What's your budget? You might be better off buying some used machines somewhere.

I'm not totally sure on our budget. But we really only need them for less than a week and this is the first time in 5 years in my position that we've needed a setup like this.

Anyone have experience (good or bad) with any rental agencies?

cpjakes

CanadaRAM
Apr 4, 2007, 12:22 PM
Make sure you have at least one hot spare...

Rizvi1
Apr 5, 2007, 06:09 AM

I agree with Xylene, you might be better off buying used and reselling for pretty much what you paid for it.

Since you need it shipped anyways, just look at some ebay auctions going on that will end in your timeframe.

When it comes time to resell, if you go the ebay route, there will be some fees involved in the reselling part, but you can go through craigslist also to resell. Ebay would fetch you more than craigslist though.

cpjakes
Apr 5, 2007, 09:19 AM
We are renting other equipment for this program as well and I really don't want to deal with the hassle of eBay. We're at a public university and the purchasing system doesn't necessarily play well with vendors like that.

And how much could renting really cost? Does anyone have any experience with it?

cpjakes