PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Lion

RicardoDiaz
Apr 4, 2007, 06:42 PM
I bet that will be the name of Mac OS X 10.6, being the last OS X version and given the fact that the lion is the king of the feline family.

JNB
Apr 4, 2007, 06:52 PM
I bet that will be the name of Mac OS X 10.6, being the last OS X version and given the fact that the lion is the king of the feline family.

And on what do you base the assumption that 10.6 will be the last of OS X?

What they call it is of no consequence, really. They could call it "Fat Lazy Furball Poop Machine" and I'd buy it.

Xavier
Apr 4, 2007, 06:59 PM
I prefer that the change the name to be Mac OS X - Sun

From that April Fools joke

BilltheCat
Apr 4, 2007, 06:59 PM
And on what do you base the assumption that 10.6 will be the last of OS X?

What they call it is of no consequence, really. They could call it "Fat Lazy Furball Poop Machine" and I'd buy it.

:D :D Me too! Do you think they would name 10.6 that if we all asked nicely? I would love it!!

Silentwave
Apr 4, 2007, 07:02 PM
My bet is that it might be Lynx or Cougar. You know...the ones they registered as trademarks at the same time as Tiger and Leopard.

Zwhaler
Apr 4, 2007, 07:30 PM
I prefer that the change the name to be Mac OS X - Sun

From that April Fools joke

That actually gives me an idea, what if the names of OS 11 were after planets? That would be pretty cool. Excluding Uranus, of course. :D

synth3tik
Apr 4, 2007, 07:33 PM
That actually gives me an idea, what if the names of OS 11 were after planets? That would be pretty cool. Excluding Uranus, of course. :D

yeah, get my OS out of Uranus!!

ok sorry I really really had to.

:D

wakerider017
Apr 4, 2007, 07:36 PM
It will be called:

OS 10.6 HouseCat :p

dsnort
Apr 4, 2007, 07:37 PM
Excluding Uranus, of course. :D

I think M$ has that one covered. It's the code name for the Vista upgrade process. :eek: :D

BilltheCat
Apr 4, 2007, 07:41 PM

ok sorry I really really had to.

I could just see the front page of macrumors. "popcorn Kernal panics in Uranus!"

:o I know. dont quit my day job!

Scarlet Fever
Apr 4, 2007, 07:54 PM

i bet it won't, seeing that Apple already have names (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/07/20030724025054.shtml) for 10.6 and 10.7, and neither are lion.

wanna go $50 for it?

tominated
Apr 4, 2007, 08:00 PM
mac os x hyena?

GoCubsGo
Apr 4, 2007, 08:03 PM
My bet is that it might be Lynx or Cougar. You know...the ones they registered as trademarks at the same time as Tiger and Leopard.

Yeah I bet Cougar next then Lynx but then again these threads are about as useful as us talking about problems with the iPhone that isn't even out.

iJawn108
Apr 4, 2007, 11:40 PM
mac os x hyena?
they shouldnt do dog names.

Lynxs would be great for sure. I wonder if they will give a name to the iPhone OS? I thought that since the lynx is small it could use that name.

But the best would be

OS XI Trogdor.

EricNau
Apr 4, 2007, 11:44 PM
My bet is on Cougar for 10.6. ...I doubt Apple will ever use Lynx because it could be too easily confused with Linux.

herr_neumann
Apr 4, 2007, 11:55 PM

Lynxs would be great for sure. I wonder if they will give a name to the iPhone OS? I thought that since the lynx is small it could use that name.

But the best would be

OS XI Trogdor.
Yes the BURNiNATOR is glorious enough to be the inspiration for an Apple OS. The question t that point is, would the OS be glorious enough to have the name?....

maxrobertson
Apr 5, 2007, 12:07 AM
I think Lynx sounds really cool. Leopard is probably just slightly less cool.

Father Jack
Apr 5, 2007, 12:13 AM
Yeah I bet Cougar next then Lynx

Surely not, there are aftershaves named Cougar and Lynx :eek:

FJ

dpaanlka
Apr 5, 2007, 12:15 AM
I still don't get why you think 10.6 will be the last OS X?

GimmeSlack12
Apr 5, 2007, 12:24 AM
I still don't get why you think 10.6 will be the last OS X?

Its because he's new to Mac and therefore he must create a dramatic tense for whatever he's talking about. I'm weary of the new Mac users who make dramatic claims about a company they really know ***** about.

BTW 10.6 will be called Kitten, because there just sooo cute!

Lynxpoint
Apr 5, 2007, 01:50 AM
being a baseless speculation thread, I will cast my vote for an upcoming OS X version being called Caracal (or Serval). :lol:

dukebound85
Apr 5, 2007, 04:08 AM

But the best would be

OS XI Trogdor.

well hyenas are related closer to cats than dogs

Manic Mouse
Apr 5, 2007, 05:22 AM
Its because he's new to Mac and therefore he must create a dramatic tense for whatever he's talking about. I'm weary of the new Mac users who make dramatic claims about a company they really know ***** about.

BTW 10.6 will be called Kitten, because there just sooo cute!

I hate grammar nazis, but come on! They're = they are. There = place.

OSX has been out for what, 7 years? Will apple really keep with it that much longer before OSXI?

Nutter
Apr 5, 2007, 05:29 AM
The classic Mac OS was out for 17 years before Apple replaced it with Mac OS X.

Father Jack
Apr 5, 2007, 05:33 AM
I don't really mind what they call it, so long as it's head and shoulders above that MS crap.

FJ

Apr 5, 2007, 05:37 AM
They should have gone with the names of the characters from 'Thundercats'

Jasonbot
Apr 5, 2007, 05:46 AM
Yes the BURNiNATOR is glorious enough to be the inspiration for an Apple OS. The question t that point is, would the OS be glorious enough to have the name?....

Trogdor might be the greatest BURNINATOR ever but Who want an OS that will just BURNINATE peasants and countryside's all day- That sounds less practical than even windows Vista!

giganten
Apr 5, 2007, 05:52 AM
Originally Posted by iJawn108 View Post

But the best would be

OS XI Trogdor.

well hyenas are related closer to cats than dogs

Yep they are closer to cats.

Although hyenas bear some physical resemblance to wild dogs, they make up a separate biological family which is most closely related to Herpestidae (the family of mongooses and meerkats).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyena

imMAColata
Apr 5, 2007, 05:57 AM
Uh, isn't Mac OS X just a snazzy way of playing with the number 10? Back in my first mac days it was OS 7 and then it was OS 8. In my long absence OS 9 came and then OS 10 - or Eckss - came. Defo didn't take them 17 years to go from OS7 to OS10 :)

[edit] ah, just did some wiki sleuthing. Seems that OS X was indeed a fundamental change to a loonix/oonix based operating system. Guess the difference between OS 7 and 9 was much smaller than 9 to 10. I stand corrected :)

tominated
Apr 5, 2007, 06:11 AM

But the best would be

OS XI Trogdor.

oh. i thought it was a cat. whoops

Tymmz
Apr 5, 2007, 06:18 AM
Who knows?!

OS X named after German Tanks? (http://ormset.no/wordpress/?p=152)

Cristian
Apr 5, 2007, 06:33 AM
Mac OS X Simba?

:)

dpaanlka
Apr 5, 2007, 09:43 AM
OSX has been out for what, 7 years? Will apple really keep with it that much longer before OSXI?

Mac OS X is a brand power house now a days.

iJawn108
Apr 5, 2007, 10:42 AM

:eek: I would have never guessed. They look so dog like. Thank you :D

animenick65
Apr 5, 2007, 10:50 AM
I think they should name OS11 by planet names. Would be pretty sweet. Or even by constellations. OS11 Orion just sounds plain cooool.

GimmeSlack12
Apr 5, 2007, 10:55 AM
I hate grammar nazis, but come on! They're = they are. There = place.

Arrrrghh You got me on that one!

We should speculate on the Finder changes in OS 10.6 now. Cause seriously we need to. I'll start:
The Finder in OS X 10.6 will be 4-D.

apb3
Apr 5, 2007, 10:59 AM
cryptozoological names would be so much, well, funner.

PseudoWoobie
Apr 5, 2007, 11:40 AM
OS X Sexual Harassment Panda

apb3
Apr 5, 2007, 11:52 AM

what? No pic?

PseudoWoobie
Apr 5, 2007, 11:59 AM
what? No pic?

Lol good call, I forgot about a pic

Manic Mouse
Apr 5, 2007, 12:18 PM
We should speculate on the Finder changes in OS 10.6 now. Cause seriously we need to. I'll start:
The Finder in OS X 10.6 will be 4-D.

Am I the only one who doesn't think the Finder is that bad? I don't own a Mac, but I play about with them fairly often and I like the Finder better than Explorer...

GimmeSlack12
Apr 5, 2007, 01:16 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think the Finder is that bad? I don't own a Mac, but I play about with them fairly often and I like the Finder better than Explorer...

That was kinda part of my joke on that post. Cause I have no problem with the Finder either. Which proves my theory that I'm not much of a complainer.

Shotgun OS
Apr 5, 2007, 03:57 PM
I think Cougar will be next.....the two-syllable thing seems to work (Jaguar, Tiger, Lepoard). Lynx makes me think of the 'last of the line' for some reason. :P

Apple should totally go random and name the OS after mythical creatures. Mac OSX:
Behemoth
Centaur
Chimaera
Garuda
Gorgon
Hydra
Titan

:rolleyes:

djstarrock
Apr 5, 2007, 04:16 PM
Can't wait until they get "os x Tabby' and when Apple name there os after planets and get to Uranus that will be the end no more apple.

:apple:

dwishbone
Apr 5, 2007, 04:18 PM
10.6 Fat Tabby

GeeYouEye
Apr 5, 2007, 04:43 PM
I doubt OS 11 will be planets. Mercury was a hardware codename, as was Jupiter, IIRC.

The real question is: what will Apple need to do in 10.6?

And there is only one answer we can give for sure:

FTFF

;)

gloss
Apr 5, 2007, 06:03 PM

Since when are meerkats and mongooses cats?

Being in a completely different family I'd say they're distinct from both dogs and cats.

psychofreak
Apr 5, 2007, 06:06 PM
The real question is: what will Apple need to do in 10.6?

It depends on what they DON'T do in 10.5 ... e.g. Touch, more voice control, blackqua and plenty more...

TheAnswer
Apr 5, 2007, 06:08 PM
Can't wait until they get "os x Tabby' and when Apple name there os after planets and get to Uranus that will be the end no more apple.

:apple:

I don't understand...surely Apple can push past Uranus. :D

JNB
Apr 5, 2007, 06:09 PM
I don't understand...surely Apple can push past Uranus. :D

Hey, Microsoft's been doing it for years...

decksnap
Apr 5, 2007, 06:27 PM
Lions really aren't the king of all cats. I think a tiger would destroy a lion.

BilltheCat
Apr 5, 2007, 06:50 PM

you are dreaming. wake up before the lion kills you and the tiger!

SMM
Apr 5, 2007, 07:15 PM
you are dreaming. wake up before the lion kills you and the tiger!

Actually, I think he is right. Tigers are larger, stronger and more generally more aggressive. Male Lions are generally most aggressive when they are defending their territory. But, the Tiger is more of a solitary, predator and is almost always very dangerous. I went to school in San Diego and made frequent trips to the fine zoo there. They had a HUGE Siberian Tiger. There were a couple times when we looked each other right in the eyes. It totally creeped me out. It was like he was saying, "One false move and you are mine".

tominated
Apr 5, 2007, 07:19 PM

i only saw that episode the other week!

cgratti
Apr 5, 2007, 07:40 PM
Mac OS X Panthera tigris

psychofreak
Apr 5, 2007, 07:44 PM
Mac OS X Chinese food - Sounds delicious, doesn't it?

GFLPraxis
Apr 5, 2007, 08:12 PM

Mac OS X Uranus?

*shivers*

GFLPraxis
Apr 5, 2007, 08:12 PM
I could just see the front page of macrumors. "popcorn Kernal panics in Uranus!"

:o I know. dont quit my day job!

You made me laugh out loud. :D

psychofreak
Apr 5, 2007, 08:16 PM
Mac OS X Uranus?

Mac OS XI Uranus I think you mean...

Greg_C
Apr 5, 2007, 08:31 PM
Apple could always pull out OS 10.9 "Ocelot" :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocelot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocelot)

maxrobertson
Apr 5, 2007, 08:34 PM

Finder is a lot better than explorer, but it's just not as good as the Classic Finder. It's somewhat buggy (although I rarely experience any bugs) and not very consistent.

MLeepson
Apr 5, 2007, 10:25 PM
What about OS X Liger? Twice as powerful?

SkyBell
Apr 6, 2007, 03:05 AM
WHY DOES NO ONE LISTEN TO ME?!

It HAS to be:

Mac OS X That's-one-big-freakin-cat

robPOD
Apr 6, 2007, 03:56 AM
I think apple has already copywrited lynx and couger, I just remember reading that somewhere

JFreak
Apr 6, 2007, 04:21 AM
Apple does not have to restrict itself to cat names and they do not have to drop the OSX (as in OS 10) name which is already very strong brand. One can better understand the versioning scheme if the "ten-dot" is omitted from the version number; meaning that the current version for example could very well be pronounced "OSX 4.9" or "OS 10 version 4.9", whichever makes more sense.

So, first of all -- as we're in 4.9 currently, there's no reason whatsoever that Apple could not be continuing Tiger support with 4.10 or 4.25 version, as the version number is not decimal. It's telling us major and minor version of OSX (or OS 10).

Then, another thing, whenever Leopard is out, it will be fifth version of OSX (as in OS 10 version 5.0). There's absotutely no reason why Apple should discontinue OSX at some point, the "OS 10" is their brand for a new generation operating system. As it is a very strong brand name, Apple will likely use it as long as they can really offer "the next big thing" that would put OSX to shame.

Historically, as we all know, things have looked like this:

1) System 1-6 (1984 - 1991)
2) System 7-9 (1991 - 2001)
3) OSX (1999 - current)

One could however predict that something major is going to be happening after OSX 6 in 2008(ish), but remember that history cannot be used to predict the future! Apple may have aces on their sleeves, or not. There's nothing inherently wrong with OSX that would need to be fixed with a major revamp; HOWEVER, there are two things that I can see that would justify calling OSX 6 or seven a "new generation" operating system:

A) feature called "running Windows applications on Apple OS"
B) decision of "running Apple OS on non-apple computers"

Should both of them be happening, we would see a direct battle between Apple and Microsoft. It is likely not gonna happen with Leopard, though, because Apple marketing is probably not ready for it. Yet. We'll see...

Mgkwho
Apr 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
Cougar sounds much better than Lynx...and Leopard sounds more advanced then Tiger. I think they won't use Lynx at all. Plus, as mentioned above, it is close to "Linux".

-=|Mgkwho

dominicansrul93
Apr 6, 2007, 06:50 PM
housecat ar domestic cat looks like its for iphone since its small.
lion is problably after 6 and 7.

Max Payne
Apr 6, 2007, 07:02 PM
Mac OS X 10.9 B!tch :D

Opss, sorry that's a dog family.

P.S. This was posted for fun. I hope no one gets offended. :)

G5Unit
Apr 6, 2007, 07:12 PM
It's going to be Mac OS XP:D

simie
Apr 6, 2007, 07:17 PM
OSX GEOFFROY'S or OSX Bob or even OSX Caracal

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~neils/africa/images/animals/caracal.jpg

Mr. Dee
Apr 8, 2007, 06:42 PM
Actually Leopard will be the 6th major release and version of the Mac OS X platform.

Mac OS 10.0 - version 1 Cheetah
Mac OS 10.1 - version 2 Puma
Mac OS 10.2 - version 3 Jaguar
Mac OS 10.3 - version 4 Panther
Mac OS 10.4 - version 5 Tiger
Mac OS 10.5 - version 6 Leopard

Apple does not have to restrict itself to cat names and they do not have to drop the OSX (as in OS 10) name which is already very strong brand. One can better understand the versioning scheme if the "ten-dot" is omitted from the version number; meaning that the current version for example could very well be pronounced "OSX 4.9" or "OS 10 version 4.9", whichever makes more sense.

So, first of all -- as we're in 4.9 currently, there's no reason whatsoever that Apple could not be continuing Tiger support with 4.10 or 4.25 version, as the version number is not decimal. It's telling us major and minor version of OSX (or OS 10).

Then, another thing, whenever Leopard is out, it will be fifth version of OSX (as in OS 10 version 5.0). There's absotutely no reason why Apple should discontinue OSX at some point, the "OS 10" is their brand for a new generation operating system. As it is a very strong brand name, Apple will likely use it as long as they can really offer "the next big thing" that would put OSX to shame.

displaced
Apr 11, 2007, 05:23 PM
I heard from a sound source that Leopard will be the final cat-themed release of OS X.

Prepare for OS X 10.6: Dave. 12-18 months later will herald 10.7: Jim and so forth, in that fashion.

10.9: Geoffrey is going to be simply awesome.

skunk
Apr 11, 2007, 05:32 PM
I'm waiting for Cedric.

displaced
Apr 11, 2007, 05:47 PM
I'm waiting for Cedric.

Me too. I hear that Apple will be adding Saxon language support in time for Cedric's release. About bleedin' time.

skunk
Apr 11, 2007, 06:20 PM
Unfortunately, Ethelred is still not ready.

g3ski
Apr 11, 2007, 06:25 PM

"Mac UranOS X"

I think it's already trademarked by M$, they call it Vista. :cool:

ivnj
Apr 12, 2007, 01:58 PM
I also read 10.6 might be it. But if 10.6 is the last X then what about 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9.?

Thanks,
ivnj

xUKHCx
Apr 12, 2007, 02:04 PM
I also read 10.6 might be it. But if 10.6 is the last X then what about 10.7, 18.8 and 10.9.?

Thanks,
ivnj

What about 10.1.6 or 10.1.7, etc 10.2.9

What about them, they don't have to be used apple could switch to whatever the hell they want.

Plymouthbreezer
Apr 12, 2007, 03:59 PM
I bet that will be the name of Mac OS X 10.6, being the last OS X version and given the fact that the lion is the king of the feline family.This post was by far my laugh of the day. :rolleyes:

(...I honestly think we have these threads almost eveyday, somewhere on this entire forum...)

crjeong
Oct 22, 2007, 09:05 AM
Bump.

Mac OSX Couger?
Mac OSX Lynx?
Mac OSX Lion?
Mac OSX Hello Kitty...

twoodcc
Oct 22, 2007, 09:07 AM
Bump.

Mac OSX Couger?
Mac OSX Lynx?
Mac OSX Lion?
Mac OSX Hello Kitty...

no bumps allowed!

anyways, there are other threads about this. no one knows

CRAZYBUBBA
Oct 22, 2007, 12:48 PM
I am really, really hoping for OSX kitten, kittypuff, or kittypie

Wayfarer
Oct 22, 2007, 03:30 PM
Psshhfff... everyone knows the next version will be Mac OS X 10.6 Lynx. :rolleyes:

netdog
Oct 22, 2007, 03:32 PM
OS X Cheetah ... the fastest cat yet!

Fuzzy14
Oct 22, 2007, 04:04 PM
Can anybody remember back to the old days?
Going from MacOS X 10.4 to 10.5 is a reference release, so we have to pay for it.
What was a reference release in the old system? Going from 7.5 to 7.6, or OS 7 to OS 8?

If the later, this means we are actually going onto OS 16 and they are just using the 'X' due to brand awareness.

For my two cents, when we run out of cats I want them to be named after British battleships, which are named after virtue names rather than the American system of people and places!
OSX Fearless (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Fearless_%28L10%29)
OSX Indefatigable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Indefatigable_%28R10%29)
OSX Vengeance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vengeance_%28S31%29)
OSX Battleaxe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Battleaxe_%28F89%29)
OSX Vanguard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vanguard_%28S28%29)
OSX Invincible (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Invincible_%28R05%29)
OSX Illustrious (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Illustrious_%28R06%29)

kakkoiimac
Oct 23, 2007, 03:28 AM
Psshhfff... everyone knows the next version will be Mac OS X 10.6 Lynx. :rolleyes:

as i read your statement i actually read Linux instead of lynx...i think apple may just stay away from that one :)

aswitcher
Oct 23, 2007, 03:48 AM

Agreed - except Tigers dont hunt in packs, Lions do...

Much Ado
Oct 23, 2007, 04:02 AM
Please bear in mind that 'Lynx' sounds an awful lot like 'Linux', and so Apple might wait until Mac OS is a little more established before calling it this.

"Hey! I hear you dropped Windows."
"Yeah, i'm on Lynx now."
"Oh really? Like, Ubuntu Lynx?"

Berlepsch
Oct 23, 2007, 04:31 AM
Please bear in mind that 'Lynx' sounds an awful lot like 'Linux', and so Apple might wait until Mac OS is a little more established before calling it this.

Don't you mean Lynx, the reliable, friendly text-only Web browser from the old days before Netscape? When browsing the web was 90% looking at the "Requesting document -- Please wait" prompt?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d5/Lynx-wikipedia.png/800px-Lynx-wikipedia.png

Sorry for this flashback. :D