Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2003
Missouri
I know that it is a common problem for the TiBooks to become blistering hot, but is it good on the Book to get this hot? I only ask because my mom's old HP would freeze when it got too hot. I was wondering if the TiBook might get too hot. It usually gets really hot after Quake 3 (understandable) after 2 hrs or so. So should I buy a cooling pad or such to preserve the life on my TiBook?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I was wondering about that too. I have a 500 TiBook and it gets really hot, when the fan comes on I have to turn up the volume so I can hear things properly. Sometimes just setting off the screensaver will start up the fan.

If I'm not using it, I pull off the keyboard and leave it like that. I know it's probably not good, but it cools it off much faster.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
The best thing you can do is to make sure there is adequate airflow around the sides, back and underneath the TiBook.

I try to prop mine up a little when I have to put it on a desk. I have a 1GHz 15" and it doesn't get that bad.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
i think these TiBooks were really made to take the heat, but any alleviation you can afford it would be a good idea. i have one of those coolpads or whatever both to pad my lap and to prop it up so air can get under. i have heard lots of reviews about tibooks getting pretty hot and still working fine. i know mine has gotten pretty darn hot, and i've never had any kind of problem relating to the heat.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I bought the Podium Pad for my PowerBook, and it works great. It seldom gets very hot at all (The PB, I mean), and makes typing a wee bit easier. Go with the Podium Pad. It's great.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
the problem with the heat issue is that these things haven't been out quite long enough to do great studies on how long term heat affects it.

so it certainly wouldn't hurt to get some protection against the heat (as colojohnboy suggested)...

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
The heat problem was even worse with the 400Mhz Ti's, wasn't it? I seem to remember seeing pics of a guy's machine where his finger print burned into the paint on the back and the mobo warped. With mine, I prop it up now in the back, but even just running the Finder and the screen saver, after about 2 minutes the fan kicks into high gear. Is this normal??
One of the reasons why I wanted to get even an 867Mhz (15") was that I heard the paint issue was fixed as well as the heat (except the 12"- I used it at a store and it was pretty warm.)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by 5300cs
The heat problem was even worse with the 400Mhz Ti's, wasn't it? I seem to remember seeing pics of a guy's machine where his finger print burned into the paint on the back and the mobo warped. With mine, I prop it up now in the back, but even just running the Finder and the screen saver, after about 2 minutes the fan kicks into high gear. Is this normal??
One of the reasons why I wanted to get even an 867Mhz (15") was that I heard the paint issue was fixed as well as the heat (except the 12"- I used it at a store and it was pretty warm.)
the 12" doesn't have any heating issues i have heard of (translation: it gets really freaking hot, but it can take it, you just may not be able to). the 15 inch powerbooks are reputed to occasionally have really odd fan behavior. when the first GHz TiBooks came out, lots of users posted on MacNN forums etc about how their fans were incredibly overactive. they took them to apple, some of them, and actually got their computers replaced in some extreme cases of bad fans, but there was a manufacturing change on deember 6 of last year that was supposed to be related to the cooling issue (just a fan firmware change or an adjustment of the thermometer).

mine does come on strangely often, but it really doesn't bother me too much. the side fan that comes on a lot is pretty quiet. it's the center fan that comes on more rarely and it is NOISY. but that one usually doesn't kick in.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by 5300cs

I don't think so. My 400MHz ran very warm, but not hot enough to do anything described above. Although, I got mine at the very end of that revision's life cycle, so they may have done some small fixes along the way.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Me and my generalizations :rolleyes: should've taken revisions into consideration

I have a friend with a 400Mhz and he's reported no problems. How does it run 10.2 by the way? It feels slow on my 550Mhz

A side note slightly off topic, when did the iBooks start sporting fans? My 500 doesn't have one, but my 800 does :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.