PDA

View Full Version : The real picture

zap2
Apr 4, 2007, 09:13 PM
So lots of things have been said about the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. How well there doing, how evil company "X" is ect ect. What we don't have it a clear picture of how each console is doing. However thats all about to change thanks to http://www.kotaku.com/.

The people over there got some chart together over sales of NGC, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2 and PS3. On overall sale for first 4 months. They also have a chart with those system, plus N64,PS1 and Dreamcast and sales of software in the same period of time.

Link- http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/charticle-the-first-four-months-249629.php

I present to you the NPD numbers of console sales in the U.S. for the first four months the consoles were in stores. Looks like the Wii isn't being held back, it's just selling like a mofo. And wow, Xbox, I had no idea. Brian Crecente

Update: I threw together an updated chart (on the jump) showing software sales for the same period and with a few more consoles thrown in for good measure. Thanks markmarkmarkmark for the data, though I never saw your original email.

sikkinixx
Apr 4, 2007, 09:25 PM
does this mean anything? :confused: aside from PS3 having a really poor attach rate, actually so does Wii compared to the 360.

The PS2 kicked the crap outta last gen and it was well behind in all those charts...

Dagless
Apr 4, 2007, 09:27 PM
Looks like the Wii isn't being held back, it's just selling like a mofo
Is finally put to rest.

zap2
Apr 4, 2007, 09:28 PM
does this mean anything?........The PS2 kicked the crap outta last gen and it was well behind in all those charts...

Maybe you just anwsered you own question :eek:

Its just nice to be able to look at some hard numbers to a look at the facts. What they mean it up to you.

Sky Blue
Apr 4, 2007, 09:33 PM
lol, kotaku.

madmax_2069
Apr 4, 2007, 10:08 PM
Humm, the dreamcast outsold the PS2 on launch in the first 4 month's, i was also hearing it also started to catch up on the PS2 around its demise. goes to show you what can happen with the lack of good 3rd party support, and the lack of funds sega had from its failed hardware (sega cd, 32x, saturn).

like i was saying the lack of sales of the PS3 is keeping some 3rd party developers from making PS3 only games which can hurt the PS3 in the console war. so far the Wii and 360 is taking it away. the Wii is on a wildcat run catching the 360 number of sold units. its way to early to tell really on what will happen. im thinking its a toss up between the 360 and Wii, the way the Wii is selling it looks like it will start to outsell the 360.

Chone
Apr 4, 2007, 10:13 PM
Launch and initial sales don't tell the whole story.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the GameCube looking very bright when it was first released?

Additionally Nintendo can put out more Wiis than Sony and MS can put out PS3s and X360s COMBINED.

Not to discredit the Wii of its launch success but just because its selling better now doesn't mean its got the war won now.

To be honest, I was all for the Wii 4 months ago, now that I see things more clearly, the Wii looks like the whole GameCube deal all over again (just with motion controls) I'm confident the PS3 and 360 will reign supreme.

G5Unit
Apr 4, 2007, 10:15 PM
The PS3 will win, sadly.

madmax_2069
Apr 4, 2007, 10:37 PM
with its lack of sales and most 3rd party developers are no longer going to make SONY only games i dont see the PS3 winning anything. the only people are going to buy the PS3 is SONY fanboy's. there is only going to be a select few PS3 only games and those are going to be made in house, or from a 3rd party developer that cant refuse a offer from SONY. if you look allot of SONY only games are also being made for 360. since there is more units sold. the success of one of the systems is going to boil down to who will have the better original games and what the system offers in usability to the user.

2nyRiggz
Apr 4, 2007, 11:29 PM
the only people are going to buy the PS3 is SONY fanboy's.

Really now....Well thats over a million so far. Dude half of your post goes both ways so all that "games are moving over to blah blah" both systems are gaining titles.
You are right about it all coming down to inhouse games and from what I experience sony has a hell of a line up.

Bless

applekid
Apr 4, 2007, 11:45 PM
These probably should be part of the Console Wars thread. The numbers definitely implied it.

Initial sales clearly don't matter. The PS2 made a killing last generation. This generation, the 360 is probably currently the market leader. Just more fodder for fanboys to eat up. Put it to rest already.