Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
A bit earlier, my MBP inexplicably restarted on me after I closed the lid, a few seconds elapsing between the time I put it down and walked a few feet away and then heard the chime. When OS X was back up, I noticed that the temperature had somehow spiked to about 150+ degrees F, which somehow happened in the space of a few minutes of little real usage (and while set to max energy savings).

Also, Activity Monitor is not showing me any processes, no matter what I do. It's just blank. No program usage or any changes can make it show a single process. It was fine yesterday.

Any help?

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I just created another user account to see if I would encounter the same problem with a fresh account, and it turns out that I can see the normal processes with activity monitor in the new account.

What's that mean and what can I do with it?

My MBP really seems to be suddenly running much hotter than usual, with no apparent change in usage.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
i seem to have solved the immediate problem by fiddling around in activity monitor and having it show the processes be heirarchy. That triggered everything else to start working, it seems.

Still doesn't explain the sudden heating up or shutdown, though.

My usual application is safari, and I guess that's about it on an always-running basis. Earthdesk is running too, though.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Can't say I do. But, I was networked with my iBook via my router, and I didn't shut that down until after the above-mentioned trouble. Could that be related to what happened?

Thanks for the help :).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I can't really see how that'd happen. :eek:

There's an app called Console in the Utilities folder. Open it up and check the crash logs. Maybe post back with anything you think might be relevant. :)

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Thank you for the heads up on that. Unfortunately, I ran a 3rd party maintenance application, and it deleted that log. Otherwise, it looks like it would have been helpful to see.

kjbarth

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2008
iMac G5 also no processes show up in the Activity Monitor's process window

My father's iMac G5 is having a similar problem. No processes show up in the Activity Monitor's process listing window-area. I was hoping that luminosity had found a solution and could updates us. The next time I get access to Dad's system, I'll check out the logs (system and console logs) to see if I can find anything that might indicate what is going on...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.