PDA

View Full Version : New Games Impressions (R6 Vegas, CoH, GoWII)

Chone
Apr 4, 2007, 10:08 PM
So April 1st (one day short of making MRU's thread :D) I bought three games, Rainbow Six Vegas, Company of Heroes and God of War II overall these are my impressions after playing them for a few days.

Rainbow Six Vegas: This is a fun game if you can play online or play the coop mode with a friend but overall I'm dissapointed, the graphics aren't all that but they still push both my PC and my Mac Pro (with a 7300GT though :p) to the limit, F.E.A.R. looks better and thats runs at 1280x1024 (as opposed to R6 Vegas' 800x600). There is no tactical action here or cool gadgets (like I imagined), merely run in, shoot everyone in the room then continue though the weapons are fun to use, the cover system is nice. The game is a bit on the easy side. Like I said graphics are nice and all but too taxing on the system and there are not many graphical options to tweak, it stinks of crummy console port all over it :( (sad considering R6 was born on PC).

Company of Heroes: I'm happy I bought CoH along with R6 because so far I'm really liking CoH, I'm a sucker for RTS games and CoH is a great RTS, fast paced, easy to pick up, never lets go, tons of different gameplay mechanics, a rather interesting way of acquiring resources, the game is practically based around controlling these territories for resources so the game is a lil on the frantic side, to be honest I still prefer the regular RTS resource-build model as it lets you concentrate more on battle but this is a different experience and I like it. Graphics are awesome, physics are impressive and battles are very fun, tons of destructibles, fun units to use and balanced gameplay. Presentation values are off the charts, the main campaign is so far really fun.

God of War II: Now this is really a half-assed impression since I've played GoWII for literally 5 minutes, I liked what I saw though, good graphics, good battle system, similar to GoWI. Hopefully it will be longer and a little more difficult than the first one.

Overall I'm happy with my purchases, so far I'd recommend CoH to any RTS fan but I'm not too sure of R6 Vegas, its not as good as I expected. Anyone who liked GoWI will most likely like God of War II.

LastLine
Apr 5, 2007, 04:56 AM
I play R6 on the 360 a hell of a lot, it's a fantastic game as far as game play is concerned, however the graphics in multiplayer are horrible compared to the single player. If you can find a good group to play with and get into the game, you'll love it - promise.

Suture
Apr 5, 2007, 06:37 AM
R6V has definitely been my favorite 360 game to date. It really shines in multiplayer.

I've been thinking of getting GoW II, but I really need to finish the first one, as I didn't complete it before I had to return it to Blockbuster.

Chone
Apr 6, 2007, 11:32 AM
I play R6 on the 360 a hell of a lot, it's a fantastic game as far as game play is concerned, however the graphics in multiplayer are horrible compared to the single player. If you can find a good group to play with and get into the game, you'll love it - promise.

Don't get me wrong, it is very fun and I've played some coop (thats even more fun) and all its just not what I expected, when I first saw the trailer I thought it was going to be a game where we could use tons of interesting gadgets, try different strategies for taking down enemies, rescuing hostages, infiltrating, etc... like Rainbow Six games of old, just supercharged :). What I got instead was a full on action game with a great cover system, awesome guns and weapons, detailed scenarios, good graphics and crap performance, not that there is anything wrong with that (except the crap performance bit) its just not what I expected.

sb58
Apr 6, 2007, 11:47 AM
I loved GoWII. it was just amazing. sure, i haven't finished it. (that damn firewall room!) but nonetheless, it's amazing. the first battle in the game against the Colossus was epic.