Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
They had Bill McEwen on TechTV last night (The Screen Savers). He was talking about Amiga and its near and long term goals. Apparently, Amiga has developed software that runs on any processor. They showed a game on two different handheld processors, and also a desktop machine. Apparently, it works on PPC and x86.

He also announced that Amiga is developing a PPC based computer called "the Amiga One" or something like that. The computer is supposed to run on Amiga's new OS, Amiga OS4. Apparently, that OS is supposed to work on both PPC based computers and x86 (maybe others too).

You can find information about this from Amiga's site and also on http://www.thescreensavers.com.

BY the way, the screen savers has information on mac's firewalls that you all might find useful.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
What is really surprising though is their targets are really ambitious. Maybe their confidence to succeed is a sign of things to come.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by rastalin94
Could this be an OS that takes the place of the recently deceased Be OS?

AmigaOS has been staying somewhat up to date all these years. A year or so ago I purchased AmigaDOS 3.9 for the Amiga 1200 that I towered, running a 68060 50MHz CPU. Quite snappy, aside from the slow desktop video hardware. (I hope to remedy that one day by purchasing a PCI busboard and adding a Voodoo3 to the unit.)

blakespot

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Being a long-time Amiga fan (I purchased the first Amiga 1000 sold in Virginia back in 1985), having gone through a number of Amigas, I must say that I can't get behind the AmigaOne plan. It's too nebulous for one. Is it an OS for the "Amiga One" hardware? Is it an "OS" that runs on top of Windows or Linux or MacOS? They've spread themselves too thin and I am not sure their solution has a problem to start with.

I am all for keeping on chugging with oldschool Amigas, but I just can't see where this new hardware and "OS" is going to give us anything.

blakespot

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Amiga

Originally posted by Macmaniac
Our TV studio uses an Amiga 1000(Or somehing like that) It is used for special effects(Video Toaster) and it actually runs quite well. Although not as good as our Trinity(Special effects) Nice to see them hanging on.

Probably an Amiga 2000.

blakespot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.