Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has released a beta of Google Desktop for the Mac. Google's Mac Blog provides some details about the release from Mike Pinkerton.

Google Desktop is a software download that brings Google's search engine to your Mac.

You have lots of information on your computer, and you see a lot more on the web. With Google Desktop, you can quickly and easily find all this stuff right when you need it, including your files, emails, and web pages you've seen.

Pinkerton explains that they took time with the project to deeply integrate it into Mac OS X and to maintain a high standard of usability. Their other goals were to make the desktop search fast and easy to use.

Arstechnica posts a first look at the software and describes it as "somewhat slim" compared to the Windows version. However, they expect continuous updates:

The Google team says that it plans to eventually bring all Google Desktop features to the Mac, which they estimate to happen sometime within the next six months. "Now that we have a strong Mac team on Google Desktops, we have the scale to do updates on a much more regular basis," said Pichai. "From now on, there will not be such large gaps between revisions."

Ars describes Google Desktop as "significantly faster" than Apple's own Spotlight and also can integrate GMail and Google Search history content in your searches.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
From the web page:
Requires Mac OS 10.4+

Doh. You'd think this would be a killer application for Panther Macs (like the one I'm typing on right now), without Spotlight. Other than Google Desktop supposedly being faster than Spotlight, what does it offer?

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
actually I just wanted to be the first to post... I don't care about Google desktop

Content before placement....

Doh. You'd think this would be a killer application for Panther Macs (like the one I'm typing on right now), without Spotlight. Other than Google Desktop supposedly being faster than Spotlight, what does it offer?

I agree - I'd consider installing it on my older 10.3 machine without Spotlight - if it works... lemme know if anyone tries it on Panther...

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
(Not fast enough to be worth that usage on my old G4.)

Agreed. Spotlight on a G4 is quite a dog.

I couldn't imagine a worse timing for this product. This would be killer on 10.3 and older, but requires 10.4. It may be faster than spotlight, but spotlight is getting a huge overhaul with leopard and will likely outshine anything google can come up with by then.

However, as stated before, any attention from google is welcome.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Although I applaud google's commitment to the mac community (sure it takes a few months, but they always get it out eventually), I've gotta say I'm not comfortable unlocking the door to my hard drive for em.

Nothings free in this world, and the adsense info is soon to follow.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I don't care about Google Desktop for Mac.
I tried it once on my Windoze PC and quickly got rid of it; just didn't appeal, it's junkware, IMO.
As far as an application and search app, Spotlight works fine for my needs.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Or Spotlight, with Command-Return. I use that all the time--now that I have a recent/fast Mac. (Not fast enough to be worth that usage on my old G4.)

Command-Return only opens a finder window where said program or file is. QuickSilver and apparently Google have the ability to launch.

ex: I have QuickSilver installed, I press Command-Enter to invoke it type say Quicktime and press return.

Basically, it subtracts one step. And it's not worth arguing over :p

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
The integration of Gmail would be nice, but how could it be faster than Spotlight? Spotlight is always instant for me, perhaps a second wait every now and then...

Oh well, back to American Gladiators on ESPN Classic. :D

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston
Command-Return only opens a finder window where said program or file is. QuickSilver and apparently Google have the ability to launch.

ex: I have QuickSilver installed, I press Command-Enter to invoke it type say Quicktime and press return.

Basically, it subtracts one step. And it's not worth arguing over :p

Actually, it is Command-Click that opens a Finder window.

The original poster was correct - Command-Enter will launch programs, or open files for that matter.

So, Quicksilver does not subtract a step - they are the same.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
A google desktop search worries me in some way. I think it's because we need a file management system more than a search system... and I'm hoping Apple is doing that with Leopard. I also like the fact that Leopard's spotlight will search the other machines you're networked to, not just your own machine (... or will it only search Leopard servers??).

Apple's search is becoming entwined with smart folders, and those smart folders are used in multiple areas including music playlists, photo albums, even things like podcast "channels" (I have a "tech podcast" smart folder).

While iTunes & the finder have distinctly different styles for finding your data, I suspect this will undergo a revolution of sorts, and searching will be a part of that. Google can't offer that.

ps. Agreed that google desktop for 10.3 would be great for many people
pps. just came out of a migraine, hope the above makes sense.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Umm wow. Its faster then Spotlight.
icon_confused.gif

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
pps. just came out of a migraine, hope the above makes sense.
If you are drinking diet pop stop. Aspartame causes headaches and brain damage--it's an excitotoxin.

As for the Google Desktop--well this will probably work really well in combination with Spotlight. If you can't do something with one--try it with the other. Plus both pieces of software will influence each other and searching will advance faster. :)

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Junk

Not to diss Google, but that is one of the things I hate about PCs is all the extra CRAP add on software. Ok it may be good, but its just all this little extra junk added on. I want my system clean and clear, thats one of the many things I love about Macs, we have all these cool things built in in a beautiful elegant functional way, so no need for all the extra crap.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I don't see the point of this. Leopard's spotlight is totally rewritten, right? Even so, spotlight as it is is instant. I mean MAYBE sometimes there's a 1 second delay. I'm happy thanks.

How about working on Picasa for Mac instead? You know, something that could actually be useful?

rafrif

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2007
Google Desktop for Windows dangerous?

Google Desktop for Windows modifies the TCP/IP stack! I wonder what they do in OSX?

gwilli

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2006
London Town
also can integrate GMail and Google Search history content in your searches.

I might be wrong but.... if you check your gmail through Mail, doesn't spotlight search through your gmail any way?

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I might be wrong but.... if you check your gmail through Mail, doesn't spotlight search through your gmail any way?

I don't have gmail so I don't know, but if it does, then I guess the advantage in this is for people who don't pick up their gmail through Mail.app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.