Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imMAColata

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Im considering getting the small model for my sister, neglecting the dvd burner and adding a much bigger hd and 2 gigs of memory. But how big a drive can the Macbook take? And is there any hardware requirements that has to be met?

I saw that I can get a Seagate Momentus 5400.2 ST9120821AS 120 GB disk for about 30$ more than it costs to upgrade to a BTO 80 gig disk from applestore.

This way we will end up with two drives, and I'll buy a 2,5" usb house and she can have an external storage for backup as well for birthday :p

Ill stick to 5400 rpm due to power and heat considerations.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Im considering getting the small model for my sister, neglecting the dvd burner and adding a much bigger hd and 2 gigs of memory. But how big a drive can the Macbook take? And is there any hardware requirements that has to be met?

I saw that I can get a Seagate Momentus 5400.2 ST9120821AS 120 GB disk for about 30$ more than it costs to upgrade to a BTO 80 gig disk from applestore.

This way we will end up with two drives, and I'll buy a 2,5" usb house and she can have an external storage for backup as well for birthday :p

Ill stick to 5400 rpm due to power and heat considerations.

About 160G - 200G the way things are right now. As far as heat, I don't think it's a problem. I have a Hitachi 100G 7200 rpm drive in my 15" MBP and there are no problems with heat.

Some of the manufacturers have recently released larger capacity 2.5" drives, however, the newer (larger) drives are thicker than the drives currently being used, no doubt because an additional platter is probably being used for the increased storage space. As a result, these will not fit in any current production Apple notebooks. The thickness of existing drives is 9.5 mm, whereas the new high capacity drives are 12 mm thick.

MD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.