Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FaultyGluestick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
I've had my Macbook for 7 months now and just recently I've noticed a major drop in battery life. Coconut battery shows that the current capacity is only 2545 mAh, 48% of the original 5200 mAh. Just last week it was at 61%. I calibrate it and everything, but I don't know why this happens. I'm assuming that my battery needs to be replaced and I thought perhaps it would be covered under my complimentary 1 year warranty. However, I read the "exclusions and limitations" under the warranty and it says "This warranty does not apply:...(f) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship". What reason do I have to give them so that they would replace my battery? Do they replace them often?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
that kind of drop in battery life isn't normal, especially this fast. it sounds like a fault in workmanship, so give Apple a call, or take it in to an AppleCenter and tell them whats happened. i reckon you'll get another battery :)

FaultyGluestick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Mmm, I don't have apple care and there aren't any apple stores in Vancouver. If I go to an authorized reseller, will they replace it for me at no cost?

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Mmm, I don't have apple care and there aren't any apple stores in Vancouver. If I go to an authorized reseller, will they replace it for me at no cost?
i don't think they will, i think your best bet is to try calling apple, actually, why don't u try to see if they replace it for you on the spot, then if they don't give apple a call, i don't believe a 7 month battery should be dropping like that for any reason..:rolleyes:

FaultyGluestick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
i don't think they will, i think your best bet is to try calling apple, actually, why don't u try to see if they replace it for you on the spot, then if they don't give apple a call, i don't believe a 7 month battery should be dropping like that for any reason..:rolleyes:

I don't have apple care so one call would cost me $49 US. Can't I contact them by email?

EDIT:
JohnNotBeatle said:
BTW, you should get Applecare within the next five months. If you can claim student status (or faculty or staff) at a school, you can get it for $218 CDN. Or $183 USD. Not sure which Vancouver you're in...

I don't know who to listen to. Many people say get applecare, but an equal number say don't. Chances of getting it is slim though, my dad would never pay for it.

JNB

macrumors 604
Many people say get applecare, but an equal number say don't. Chances of getting it is slim though, my dad would never pay for it.

For a desktop machine, you may not need it, but laptops are a different story altogether. One repair (and if you use it and carry it around daily, that's likely) will easily exceed the cost of the AppleCare. It's insurance. It's protecting a valuable investment. It's saving money in the long run. Try those arguments.

And I'm sure Dad would be more open if he saw the value in it, so you have to provide him with a reason to see the value. Maybe there's something extra you can do for him, a barter, if you will. Convert his old home movies to DVD, a set of custom CD's of his favorite music, his own website that he can show off to his friends. You'll think of something.

FaultyGluestick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
And I'm sure Dad would be more open if he saw the value in it, so you have to provide him with a reason to see the value. Maybe there's something extra you can do for him, a barter, if you will. Convert his old home movies to DVD, a set of custom CD's of his favorite music, his own website that he can show off to his friends. You'll think of something.

Haha I already do half of those for him, and more. I'll start small and convince my mom first.

For the time being, what should I do?

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
I don't have apple care so one call would cost me $49 US. Can't I contact them by email?

Just call them anyway and be polite but firm about not paying $49. Say that you expect Apple to stand by their product, you're disappointed. Ask for a supervisor. I've had a lot of problems with the local apple re-seller and always call Applecare and mention that I get bad service at the re-seller. The only time I had a problem I just hung up, called again and the next customer support representative was very helpful.

Just don't pay $49 for a phone call.

JNB

macrumors 604
Haha I already do half of those for him, and more. I'll start small and convince my mom first.

For the time being, what should I do?

Start with the nearest Authorized Apple Serivce Center - they can do warantee work, including replacing a battery (if Apple ok's it). You might want to consider getting a second battery for it. I have ALWAYS had a spare., can't imagine not anymore. I know, more money.

Try conditioning the battery again, extend the life as much as possible. Keep it on AC as much as you can, carry the power brick with you when you have to go mobile.

FaultyGluestick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Start with the nearest Authorized Apple Serivce Center - they can do warantee work, including replacing a battery (if Apple ok's it). You might want to consider getting a second battery for it. I have ALWAYS had a spare., can't imagine not anymore. I know, more money.

Try conditioning the battery again, extend the life as much as possible. Keep it on AC as much as you can, carry the power brick with you when you have to go mobile.

Mmm ok thanks! I'll try the campus store. Hopefully they'll do it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.