Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello,

i have a macbook pro, i carry it around in my shoulder bag often.
my gf has a macbook, she leaves it at the house.

i admire the petite size of her ac adapter. it is 60 watt, mine is 75 watts and feels almost 35% larger....

is there any reason not to use the smaller, 60 watt macbook adapter on my macbook pro?

it charges the battery just fine!

thanks,
r.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It should just charge your battery much more slowly. There might be an issue where the battery might not charge at all if you're hitting the laptop at 100% power usage but it's safe otherwise.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hello,

i have a macbook pro, i carry it around in my shoulder bag often.
my gf has a macbook, she leaves it at the house.

i admire the petite size of her ac adapter. it is 60 watt, mine is 75 watts and feels almost 35% larger....

is there any reason not to use the smaller, 60 watt macbook adapter on my macbook pro?

it charges the battery just fine!

thanks,
r.

It will get destroyed after a while. It will always be running above its design limits. You don't know what it will do at the time it breaks; it might destroy you MacBook Pro, and that will be your own fault. The adapter will definitely break after some time.

sdeschenes

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
85 w & 60 w are interchangeable

In May 2006, Macworld said you could interchange the 60 watt and 85 watt adapters between the MacBook and MacBook Pro. They said:

Apple says you can use the more powerful, 85-watt power supply with a MacBook without any problems, and that in 80 percent to 90 percent of situations, you can use the MacBook’s power supply with the more-demanding MacBook Pro as well. If you’re really taxing the MacBook Pro’s processor with some heavy-duty work, the MacBook’s adapter will still be able to power the MacBook Pro—but it may not have any power left over to charge its battery.​
http://www.macworld.com/article/50949/2006/05/macbookfaq.html

They further confirmed this in their article called Life on the Road on May 13, 2007.
http://www.macworld.com/article/56762/2007/03/mobile_road.html

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Most the time when I use my MacBook charger with the MacBook Pro, it just hold's the charge, but not charges.

To the OP...the new MacBook Pro chargers are the smaller MacBook like

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Most the time when I use my MacBook charger with the MacBook Pro, it just hold's the charge, but not charges.

To the OP...the new MacBook Pro chargers are the smaller MacBook like

I use my MBA adapter (45W) with my MBP. It supplies enough power to run the machine and charge the battery while doing general office work.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
No they're not. They are still a little bigger.

define "little" I haven't stood them up...but they seem to be the same size

redesign on the left, original on the right

apple-mbp-adapters.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.