PDA

View Full Version : Kojima says MGS4 to be PS3 exclusive

darkwing
Apr 6, 2007, 11:09 AM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/go307/feature-talkin-metal-gear-with-hideo-kojima-248695.php

He also likens the PS3 to a high quality movie theater experience, the 360 to a DVD, and the Wii to a tv channel. :D

LethalWolfe
Apr 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/go307/feature-talkin-metal-gear-with-hideo-kojima-248695.php

He also likens the PS3 to a high quality movie theater experience, the 360 to a DVD, and the Wii to a tv channel. :D

So the PS3 is falling from dominance and scrambling to remain relevant in the coming years, the 360 is the biggest thing to hit home entertainment ever, and the Wii is at the center of a drastically changing media distribution landscape where old, tried and true ideas are being shed for new and innovative ones.

Interesting comparison indeed. ;)

Lethal

darkwing
Apr 6, 2007, 11:25 AM
So the PS3 is falling from dominance and scrambling to remain relevant in the coming years, the 360 is the biggest thing to hit home entertainment ever, and the Wii is at the center of a drastically changing media distribution landscape where old, tried and true ideas are being shed for new and innovative ones.

Interesting comparison indeed. ;)

Lethal

Touché. :D

ijimk
Apr 6, 2007, 11:36 AM
I think a huge blow to Sony is Grand Theft Auto 4 being available for the 360 as well. I was never a huge fan but for those of you who have a 360 PLEASE try Crackdown. I thought it was just another GTA rip off but it has such a unique personality and is TONS of FUN. Just my 2 cents

sikkinixx
Apr 6, 2007, 12:06 PM
I think a huge blow to Sony is Grand Theft Auto 4 being available for the 360 as well. I was never a huge fan but for those of you who have a 360 PLEASE try Crackdown. I thought it was just another GTA rip off but it has such a unique personality and is TONS of FUN. Just my 2 cents

seriously? I thought crackdown was one of the most over hyped, lame games I have ever had the displeasure of playing.....:o

zap2
Apr 6, 2007, 12:08 PM

Metal Gear has never really made me want to go get a copy of it(new had a PS2, but one did come out for NGC)

As for the Wii being TV, whatever, I don't like the movies :p

2nyRiggz
Apr 6, 2007, 12:17 PM
Yup the wii reminds of the TV guide channel....nothing good on just previews;)

I'm a big fan of MG..always a good(crazy arse) story...What i've seen so far it looks like Kojima is trying something new and its not all about the new age graphics and I applaud him and his team for that.

Bless

adrian-cg
Apr 9, 2007, 04:39 AM
MGS is the best thing that has happened to the gaming industry. >_>

I fell in love with the series after playing Snake Eater. The ending was just too good and emotional.

zero2dash
Apr 9, 2007, 09:41 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_4#GameCube_exclusivity_controversy
Despite this, Capcom, especially Shinji Mikami, touted the three new games as GameCube exclusives. In an interview with a Japanese magazine, Mikami even claimed that he would "cut [his own] head off" if Resident Evil 4 came to the PlayStation 2.

I believe Mikami still has his head attached, despite RE4 being released on the Ps2.

Console exclusivity is not an option anymore. :)

Dagless
Apr 9, 2007, 09:49 AM
Kojima says MGS a PS3 exclusive. People buy a PS3 for it.
Months after PS3 game launch he announces a 360 version with extra content. MGS fans run out and buy that too.

As Z2D said - happened with RE4. But for A 3rd party dev to not bring a popular series to a system that has sold 10 million units is just a tad crazy.

applekid
Apr 9, 2007, 10:12 AM
I bet there will be a re-release of MGS4 like MGS2: Substance if sales on the PS3 don't work out well.

Nym
Apr 9, 2007, 11:50 AM
I bet there will be a re-release of MGS4 like MGS2: Substance if sales on the PS3 don't work out well.

I hope this is true! That way even the 360 and possibly Wii owners can play (IMO) one of the best game sagas I've ever seen :)

However, I didn't like Kojima's sentece about dvd, tv channel and whatever, although I respect his work and have always been a fan of the MGS series, these kind of "attacks" don't do any good.

zero2dash
Apr 9, 2007, 11:54 AM

However, I didn't like Kojima's sentece about dvd, tv channel and whatever, although I respect his work and have always been a fan of the MGS series, these kind of "attacks" don't do any good.

"The PS3 is like the theatre, it's a little bit high-priced but it has to be high quality as well. The 360 is a DVD, it still needs to be high quality but you need more variations, while the Wii is almost like a TV channel, because every game you have it with your family".

darkwing's stirring the "console warZ" pot; I don't find any negatives with what Kojima said. I wouldn't classify them as "attacks" as much as darkwing wants you to believe they are. :rolleyes:

Nym
Apr 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
Humm, it may not be an attack but it could sound that way in a certain context, eheh :)

Still, I believe that these kind of sentences are the ones that some say "Meh, nothing wrong with it." and some say "WTF? Let's kill Kojima!" :D

There is no console wars beside the ones that we (console users) create right? ;)

ReanimationLP
Apr 9, 2007, 06:08 PM
*Puts anti-flame wear on*

I personally think Metal Gear games are kinda boring.

I've never bought one at launch. I only buy them when they're less than 10 dollars. Why? Why would I pay 60 bucks for a game that I'll beat in a few hours, and then never play again?

applekid
Apr 9, 2007, 06:22 PM

I've never bought one at launch. I only buy them when they're less than 10 dollars. Why? Why would I pay 60 bucks for a game that I'll beat in a few hours, and then never play again?

Maybe the second one and possibly the first one (even the GameCube remake), but MGS3... That was the first MGS I played on my own. And Subsistence has a lot of replay value with all the extra modes, games, and online play (which is now dead).

I enjoy the games more for their stories and MGS3:Subsistence definitely benefitted from the new camera angle and sheer replayability.

Dagless
Apr 9, 2007, 06:42 PM

*snuggles up in anti-flame wear*

I can appreciate the quality put into the series, but I'm not too keen on them. I think they're much more fun to play than say, Splinter Cell. I did enjoy Twin Snakes on the cube, not enough for a replay through though. I think it was MGS2, I sort of lost the faith in Kojima. I didn't like the setting in MGS3 so I didn't play through. I'm interested in 4, but Halo 3 kinda interested, they have to show me something to get my interest. And cut scenes won't do that.

ericsthename
Apr 9, 2007, 08:08 PM
Couldn't care less....

Gears of war, Halo 3, Unreal Tournament 2007 are and will be all better than MGS.

PS. in response to the earlier crackdown comments, I found crackdown to be a totally different experience from GTA and a lot of fun too. I think some people have problems with the graphical style, but I loved the gameplay....

ZorPrime
Apr 10, 2007, 12:41 AM
Kojima says MGS a PS3 exclusive. People buy a PS3 for it.
Months after PS3 game launch he announces a 360 version with extra content. MGS fans run out and buy that too.

As Z2D said - happened with RE4. But for A 3rd party dev to not bring a popular series to a system that has sold 10 million units is just a tad crazy.

You have a really keen point. If history is any guide, I think it may be a good bet MGS may find its way onto the 360 and the Wii. MGS2 Substance was on the Xbox, great game but didn't do to well on the Xbox though. Twin Snakes was good, for story continuity purposes. If MGS does make it out to the other platforms, I hope it's not a simple port but an optimized to take advantage of the respective platform's strengths. :cool:

ZorPrime
Apr 10, 2007, 12:46 AM

I don't think GTA IV being available to the 360 is a huge blow to Sony. All three previous GTAs have been available for the Xbox, so its never having been an "exclusive" in the first place isn't that big of a deal. Just my humble opinion. :o

Nym
Apr 10, 2007, 05:39 AM
I love the MGS series.

One of my main reasons is that Kojima and his team always try to get the best graphics that a certain console can show (when I saw MGS 1 in the PSOne I was like "holy crap, these are the best graphics ever!") :p

Second, the games are filled with plot twists, extremely well thought characters, excellent voice acting, great attention to small details, real-world weapons, consistent AI and very detailed scenarios.

Third, it feels like you're the actor in a movie, the action is right in your face and the choices you make affect the outcome of the mission.

I can't remember more than 2/3 action games out there that combine all these features. Any suggestions? :)

BTW - Clearing MGS (1, 2 or 3) in Easy or Normal may be a piece of cake to more experienced gamers but I tell you, in (European) Extreme even I have a hard time doing the simplest of tasks. And it's always fun to play again with Stealth Camo!

Dagless
Apr 10, 2007, 06:00 AM
Second, the games are filled with plot twists, extremely well thought characters, excellent voice acting, great attention to small details, real-world weapons, consistent AI and very detailed scenarios.

Third, it feels like you're the actor in a movie, the action is right in your face and the choices you make affect the outcome of the mission.

I can't remember more than 2/3 action games out there that combine all these features. Any suggestions? :)

Half Life series, Max Payne, Prey/Quake 4/Doom 3 are all very cinematic, Metal Slug, Panzer Dragoon Orta... And they're just the games on my shelf above my iMac :cool:

I can see what you mean about it being a very film-like game. But if it were a film it would certainly be B-movie material.

Nym
Apr 10, 2007, 07:08 AM
Half Life series, Max Payne, Prey/Quake 4/Doom 3 are all very cinematic, Metal Slug, Panzer Dragoon Orta... And they're just the games on my shelf above my iMac :cool:

I can see what you mean about it being a very film-like game. But if it were a film it would certainly be B-movie material.

B-Movie Material? You hurt me :( lol!

Anyway, yep, Half Life was on my list too! Max Payne is nice but no thinking, just BOOM your way through the levels, Doom 3 I haven't finished yet and Prey I don't know what it is, i'll check it out :)

Metal Slug? the last time I played it it was a 2D platform game, maybe something has changed?

Anyway, I'm waiting to see what MGS 4 will be all about, because right now I'm happy with my cheap-ass PS2 and I still haven't decided which next gen console I'll be buying :o

2nyRiggz
Apr 10, 2007, 07:57 AM

Just like any other video game adaptation....nothing new and nothing has changed.

Bless

Dagless
Apr 10, 2007, 09:06 AM
Metal Slug = ultimate B-Movie game. Beautiful graphics, over-powered weapons, stereotypical heroes, cliched military theming, aliens, zombies, yetis, naff voices. Yes it's 2D, and so what?

Nym
Apr 11, 2007, 04:42 AM
Metal Slug = ultimate B-Movie game. Beautiful graphics, over-powered weapons, stereotypical heroes, cliched military theming, aliens, zombies, yetis, naff voices. Yes it's 2D, and so what?

Are you comparing it to MGS? :O

Dagless
Apr 11, 2007, 06:47 AM
Are you comparing it to MGS? :O

I think you just missed my comparison. Nevermind.