Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chasingshadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Can you put a 800Mhz g3 logic board in 700Mhz g3? I read somewhere that I will have grounding issues. Is that true? Has anyone done this?
My ibook has been sitting here unused for the last 4 months and I would like to see if I could get it working. (The video chip has died and I have tried to get it back)

Thanks
Scott

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Check this guide on how to remove the logic board. If the 800mhz logic board is the same, it should work. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. My best friend once exhchanged an iBook G3's logic board with a iBook G4's logic board and it worked.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Have you tried the fix described here? Basically it involves inserting something a few mm thick in between the plastic casing and the metal shielding the logic board, just under the video chip. Helps keep the video chip in place. I just tried it on my iBook last weekend and it's been working fine all week (after a year of being "dead"). I did have to do it twice, adding a thicker piece the second time since the first time it fritzed out after about 8 hours.

Unfortunately I don't know if there are any issues regarding the 800 MHz board in the 700 MHz case, though I kind of doubt there would be. If you go that route, definitely be sure to use the guides at http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ as recommended above.

chasingshadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Thanks! I already have my ibook apart I just need to find out if I could swap in a 800Mhz logic board with out any issues before I buy the logic board

Thanks
Scott

chasingshadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Have you tried the fix described here? Basically it involves inserting something a few mm thick in between the plastic casing and the metal shielding the logic board, just under the video chip. .

Yes I did but it still does not want to work. There was also another write up about using a candle and I tried that and it worked for about 2 days.

Thanks
scott

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.