Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
I was wondering, do any of you turn off or unplug your apple tv overnight?
Is it safe to just leave it running all the time ?? 24/7/365 ?

Thanks

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I use my aTV in my bedroom, and in standby I can here the HDD clicking periodically as it seems to sync whilst even in standby. It also remains quite warm even in standby, so I've gotten into the habbit of unplugging it at night. I would have like a proper off switch though...

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I turned my :apple: TV off for the first time, yesterday, 'cause my utility bills have skyrocketed and I guess it all adds up. BTW.....you can turn it off by holding down the center button.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I put mine in Standby but I don't unplug it. I would if I wasn't going to use it for a period of time, but it's being used everyday at the minute.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
BTW.....you can turn it off by holding down the center button.

I don't think this actually turns it off. I have made it a habit to use the 'hold down center button' method, until the screen goes blank and the white light on the front of the :apple:TV goes dark, but later when my iTunes wants to sync with the :apple:TV it does so with no problem. Wouldn't be able to if the :apple:TV were actually off. I think the only thing it actually stops doing is sending a signal to the TV.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I turned my :apple: TV off for the first time, yesterday, 'cause my utility bills have skyrocketed and I guess it all adds up. BTW.....you can turn it off by holding down the center button.

I don't think this actually turns it off. I have made it a habit to use the 'hold down center button' method, until the screen goes blank and the white light on the front of the :apple:TV goes dark, but later when my iTunes wants to sync with the :apple:TV it does so with no problem. Wouldn't be able to if the :apple:TV were actually off. I think the only thing it actually stops doing is sending a signal to the TV.

Exactly - :apple:TV doesn't have a proper "off" - only a standby which maintains an active wireless connection at the very least. I'm still switching off at the socket at night.

superga

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Shame on Apple

It's a disgusting waste of energy that thousands (and if Apple get their way, millions) of these boxes are constantly powered up and chewing through power. Do these companies live in utter isolation from the world outside??

Suspect it's part of Apple's big plan for the boxes - powered up all the time, calling home to Daddy Steve, and in time they'll be downloading 'feature' ads and programs that Apple get money to shove down your throat...

Just my 2pence worth.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
so if its on standby mode, its still able to get content from iTunes?

Yes:

flemingljr

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2007
It's a disgusting waste of energy that thousands (and if Apple get their way, millions) of these boxes are constantly powered up and chewing through power. Do these companies live in utter isolation from the world outside??

Suspect it's part of Apple's big plan for the boxes - powered up all the time, calling home to Daddy Steve, and in time they'll be downloading 'feature' ads and programs that Apple get money to shove down your throat...

Just my 2pence worth.

It's 20-22 watts when turned on, 17 watts in standby mode. Not much of a "sleep" mode, but not a huge power draw either. Windows PC's draw 100-130 watts when turned on, my A/C unit draws 3000+ watts when running, and my pool pump just under 2000 for comparison.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I was wondering, do any of you turn off or unplug your apple tv overnight?
Is it safe to just leave it running all the time ?? 24/7/365 ?

Thanks
it does not have a turn off option at all. unless you just unplug it.

gtoney

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2009
I turn my off when not in use

I turn my ATV off unless I'm using it to watch (obviously) or downloading something or syncing with iTunes. I use a Belkin power strip with a remote on/off switch. It works very nicely.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009

Just my 2pence worth.

How's that tin foil hat working out for you?:D

celica73

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
How's that tin foil hat working out for you?:D

17W 24 hours per day 356 days per year equates to about $13/year on my electric bill. That's $13 out of an annual $624, or 2.1%.

I actually do believe that is significant.

Based on the heat output, I suspect my two cable boxes (which also never sleep) are consuming just as much, so now for some always on AV devices I am at $40/year. Add in a few other AV parasites and I can account for 10% of my annual electric bill. It doesn't take a lot to make these things significant.

If every US household is wasting the same 434 kWh/year that I am, we now have 434 kWh/household*105,500,000 households (2000 census) = 45,675,000,000 kWh.

A barrel of oil is 1,700 kWh, so take 45,675,000,000 and divide by 1700 and we get 26,867,647 barrels of oil per year because of a few electrical devices that don't sleep well.

Insignificant taken as a single unit, but a whole lot of energy as a whole.

Scott

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Has anyone measured their AppleTV using Kill-a-watt or something similar? I would guess that the AppleTV draws 20 W. So in this scenario, it would consume 175.2 kWH. At 0.10/kWH (which is higher than the rate I pay), you are look at $17.20 a year, or $1.43/month.

It would be good to have some real data on energy consumption, though...

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
so if its on standby mode, its still able to get content from iTunes?

Technically yes, but lately for me, I have problems accessing the iTunes Store (just sits there and the icon "spins" forever) along with problems syncing with my Mac

If I unplug the :apple:TV and plug it back in (essentially a reboot), these problems go away - at least for awhile.

I've tried keeping the unit on all the time, and also tried keeping it in standby mode - no difference. I prefer standby, though.

So, I've resolved to just reboot at least once a week and hope that Apple fixes this with the next system release.

hotrod54chevy

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
ok,guys,seriously? you think it's THAT big of a power draw? i have an iMac, a Dell,a DVR,Nintendo Wii,Apple TV and a lamp in my living room with 1 bulb and a lamp in my computer room with 3 bulbs. I leave these running 24/7/365 and my current electric bill is $70/month...i honestly cant think of the :apple:tv drawing that much juice...but if tv stuff (a LUXURY) is that bad,i'd just unplug it until i needed it.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
i honestly cant think of the :apple:tv drawing that much juice...but if tv stuff (a LUXURY) is that bad,i'd just unplug it until i needed it.

Our TV rack full of stuff (ATV, Xbox, satellite box, receiver, dvd player, TV) draws about 90W when everything is in standby. Since I found that out I turn it off at the plug when we're not watching - it's like leaving a light burning all the time for no reason! The ATV draws about 30W in standby or when active (there's no measurable difference between the two).

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
The Nintendo Wii has its wireless connection on all the time as well.

At least you have an option to turn it off for the Wii.

ok,guys,seriously? you think it's THAT big of a power draw? i have an iMac, a Dell,a DVR,Nintendo Wii,Apple TV and a lamp in my living room with 1 bulb and a lamp in my computer room with 3 bulbs. I leave these running 24/7/365 and my current electric bill is $70/month...i honestly cant think of the :apple:tv drawing that much juice...but if tv stuff (a LUXURY) is that bad,i'd just unplug it until i needed it.

It all depends on the cost of electricity. Here in coal country, it's 8 cents/kwh, but in the SF Bay area I understand it can get up to 40.

Based on actual measurements I've found, the :apple:tv uses 15W when idle and 24W when under load. According to the prior poster, it could be even higher. Idling at 15W or 30W is unacceptable, and is why the :apple:tv isn't Energy Star certified. The next round of Energy Star specs will be even more stringent, so let's hope Apple figures out how to change the syncing behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.