PDA

View Full Version : The 360 Needs a Better D-pad...

SamIchi
Apr 7, 2007, 11:02 AM
I just bought Lumines and I've played that a lot on PSP. The 360 d-pad is big and clunky and doesn't always register properly. If I find a 3rd party for really cheap, I guess I might consider. That is all :rolleyes:

Suture
Apr 7, 2007, 11:05 AM
I totally agree. It's even worse if you try to play a fighting game using it.

SamIchi
Apr 7, 2007, 11:08 AM
I totally agree. It's even worse if you try to play a fighting game using it.

Yea I was thinkin about that. Fighting games are going to suffer too.

sikkinixx
Apr 7, 2007, 11:24 AM
yup, I noticed it back when I played Oblivion for it and had to select spells, etc. from the quick menu and it was always a pain in the ass to get the middle ones... Maybe the Elite Halo 3 Super Premium Deluxe revision in the fall with have a better d-pad on it :D

Dagless
Apr 7, 2007, 11:44 AM
I've always said - the 360 controller is bar none the best traditional 3D controller. Going off comfort, button placement, rumble strength, headset ability...
The Classic Controller is the best 2D controller.

IMO at least :)

sikkinixx
Apr 7, 2007, 11:47 AM
The Classic Controller is the best 2D controller.

IMO at least :)

nah uh, SNES controller rocks my world. A little bit too small but I always loved it, especially compared to the crappiness that was the 3-button Genesis controller :p

Dagless
Apr 7, 2007, 12:14 PM
Sacrilege! Yet true at the same time.

huck500
Apr 7, 2007, 12:21 PM
It astounds me that MS allowed the controller to ship the way it is....

You could try this if you're somewhat handy:

360 D-pad fix (http://www.ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/360dpadfix/360dpadfix.htm)

I'm planning to fix mine this way, I'll post again when it's done.

giganten
Apr 7, 2007, 12:50 PM
yup, I noticed it back when I played Oblivion for it and had to select spells, etc. from the quick menu and it was always a pain in the ass to get the middle ones...

Yeah..

7on
Apr 8, 2007, 01:21 AM
nah uh, SNES controller rocks my world. A little bit too small but I always loved it, especially compared to the crappiness that was the 3-button Genesis controller :p

In 1982, Nintendo's Gunpei Yokoi updated this idea, shrinking it and altering the points into the familiar modern "cross" design for their Donkey Kong handheld game. The design proved to be popular for subsequent Game & Watch titles, although the previously introduced non-connected D-pad style was still utilized on various later Game & Watch titles, including the Super Mario Brothers handheld game. This particular design was patented.

And thus why Nintendo's D-pads are usually worshiped as gods and the d-pads of others fail.

djstarrock
Apr 9, 2007, 11:04 AM
Nintendo's D-pads are handcrafted by gods there perfect :)

:apple:

SpankyPenzaanz
Apr 9, 2007, 11:05 AM
people still use d-pads?!?!?!!?

SamIchi
Apr 9, 2007, 02:46 PM
people still use d-pads?!?!?!!?

If you play videogames you do. :rolleyes: