Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenmasters8319

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
hey guys sorry for the bombardment of all these topics...

but if i do a dual cpu upgrade will all applications use both processors or just one?

i noticed the dual cpu upgrade are alot more money but are they worth it?

is a 1.6ghz single cpu faster than a 1.3ghz dual cpu??

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
most, but not all, OS X apps from the past few years are optimized for dual cpus. And if the ones you use are, then the DP upgrades will benefit you alot, assuming have sufficient ram AND you're not expecting to put one in an old sawtooth/DA-era machine with super slow frontside bus and other bog-downs.......

if this is the case, then save your money & go with a faster single cpu and mAxDaRam & HD speeds for sure :D

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
The operating system handles dishing out tasks to the processors. So in some way: yes- everything works better with a dual processor. But not every program is multithreaded. So some cpu intensive tasks which are not multithreaded will just run up 1 cpu.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
I went from dual 450Mhz Gigabit base unit that i bought from one of my customers @ work ..

And I wanted to burn Dvds so i went got a dual 1Ghz Chip for about 230.00 including s/h from here and took me about 10 mins to upgrade from Dual 450 to dual 1 Ghz .. look@ my signature for videos on installs

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Back when I was running a dual 533 I found that OS X made good use of the dual CPUs, though having a second CPU is worthless for games other than Quake 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.