PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Spring update leaked.

giganten
Apr 8, 2007, 08:53 AM
Some news about the spring dashboard has leaked out.

Once again Gamespot broke an embargo and by the time they noticed the leak, the Internet savvies saved the video and put it up on YouTube.

The movie, which you can see below, takes a detailed look at the new features that will debut with the next Xbox 360 dashboard update.

Beginning the morning of Monday, May 7, you'll be able to download the 2007 spring system update for the Xbox 360, which provides new features and enhancements for the dashboard, including a dedicated Xbox Live Marketplace blade, Windows Live Messenger interoperability, improved functionality for Achievements, downloads and movies.

Unfortunately, there won't be Clan Support in this update so we'll have to wait for the Fall system update.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13197/Xbox-360-Spring-Dashboard-Update-Features-Leaked/

Foxglove9
Apr 8, 2007, 09:02 AM
The only thing I'm slightly interested in is that Achievements pop-up change. And even that I can do without. Otherwise doesn't seem like anything to be excited about, unless I am missing something.

sikkinixx
Apr 8, 2007, 12:06 PM
A few cool things I suppose. The MSN thing is okay and the auto shutdown is a good thing. I would love to see a 'sleep' function like after 30/60/90 minutes the machine shuts down so when i fall asleep watching a movie, my 360 shuts down with my tv.

I never use the marketplace anymore since I refuse to buy Gold and then I don't get demos and such for a while after they are released so I hardly bother. It is a good idea to put it on it's own blade though, MS does a good job of integrating its cash-cow into system *thumbs up*

I would love to see some new functionality. Tweaking stuff like they do is all well and good but it's cool to see the system do new things (hopefully a bit cooler than folding@home or Everybody Votes....)

GFLPraxis
Apr 8, 2007, 12:25 PM
How are you going to type in MSN? Plug in a USB keyboard?

The only advantage I can see to that is audio chat.

2nyRiggz
Apr 8, 2007, 12:58 PM
This doen't do anything for me....I rather not have my MSN/360 together..I hope they give an option to turn auto sign in for MSN off.

Nothing too interesting.

Bless

Mackilroy
Apr 8, 2007, 01:07 PM
I saw this yesterday – it seems more like just smoothing everything out then a huge upgrade to me. Nice enough. :)

cycocelica
Apr 8, 2007, 03:23 PM
meh, it looks ok. Nothing spectacular.

giganten
Apr 8, 2007, 03:50 PM
How are you going to type in MSN? Plug in a USB keyboard?

The only advantage I can see to that is audio chat.

Maybe they will use this, :D http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=15665

jane doe
Apr 8, 2007, 04:14 PM
I like any update that adds features. I'm sold on the low power downloading.

psychofreak
Apr 8, 2007, 04:19 PM
I like any update that adds features. I'm sold on the low power downloading.

Yeah...the 360 is WA-he-AY too loud

Dagless
Apr 8, 2007, 04:19 PM
Low power downloading is certainly an attractive feature for me.

quikssurfer
Apr 8, 2007, 04:20 PM
ehh.. would've liked to see support for 1680x1050 VGA with this update.
maybe next time

wwooden
Apr 9, 2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.xbox.com:80/en-US/community/news/2007/0408-im.htm?WText.camp=TS1-InstantMessaging&WText.campSrc=Home

Looks like microsoft finally released info on the spring update.

Some of the features I am excited about:
- Displays which game is in the console in the dashboard
- Able to stream and play back h.264 and m-peg movies!!!
- New accessory that adds a QWERTY keyboard to and 360 controller.

Definitely is going to be a really good update...... as long as it doesn't brick anyones console.

bluewire
Apr 9, 2007, 09:59 AM
Some of the features I am excited about:

- Able to stream and play back h.264 and m-peg movies!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about divx and avi? :cool: I won't get greedy. Sick of converting my video files to .wmv (yuck!) to watch movies on my 360.

jane doe
Apr 9, 2007, 10:05 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about divx and avi? :cool: I won't get greedy. Sick of converting my video files to .wmv (yuck!) to watch movies on my 360.

I agree, There are a lot of files on my computer that I want to stream over but am too lazy to convert to wmv just to play them.

bluewire
Apr 9, 2007, 10:11 AM
I agree, There are a lot of files on my computer that I want to stream over but am too lazy to convert to wmv just to play them.

I run the conversions of my files when I am out of the house but its still annoying since it takes up HD space and I hate wmv. I dump them after I watch them and keep the divx/avi/mpegs.

SpankyPenzaanz
Apr 9, 2007, 11:01 AM
Hopefully the keyboard addon be a incentive for WOW or bioware's mystery mmo

sikkinixx
Apr 9, 2007, 11:28 AM
nothing all that exciting but oh well, a lot of good little tidbits.

That keyboard thing looks....um....yeah...odd. Looks like it would be kind of difficult to hold the controller with it on.

giganten
Apr 9, 2007, 12:51 PM

That keyboard thing looks....um....yeah...odd. Looks like it would be kind of difficult to hold the controller with it on.

Why should it be difficukt to hold the controller?
I donít hold my hands where the keyboard is placed when I play.

SpankyPenzaanz
Apr 9, 2007, 01:20 PM

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/04/09/543811.aspx

giganten
Apr 9, 2007, 01:36 PM
http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/04/09/543811.aspx

Nice!

Jovian9
Apr 9, 2007, 01:40 PM
Why should it be difficukt to hold the controller?
I donít hold my hands where the keyboard is placed when I play.

With the keyboard attachment on it's only about the size of the original Xbox controller :)

Overall I think it's a good update for the 360, though I wish they would have added clan support...mainly for GoW with my friends :)

Markleshark
Apr 9, 2007, 03:24 PM
Looks good. Lets hope its not toooooo many £££££££

debroglie
Apr 10, 2007, 01:31 PM
Looks good. Lets hope its not toooooo many £££££££

WooohoooO!! More video codecs! MPEG-4 up to 8Mbps, H.264 up to 15Mbps

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/09/xbox-360-now-with-h-264-mpeg-4-playsforsure/

greatdevourer
Apr 10, 2007, 03:00 PM
WooohoooO!! More video codecs! MPEG-4 up to 8Mbps, H.264 up to 15Mbps

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/09/xbox-360-now-with-h-264-mpeg-4-playsforsure/ But in what containers? Somehow I see myself converting all my AVI'd movies to MP4...

jane doe
Apr 11, 2007, 09:58 AM
I think this just goes to show that MS is getting serious about competing with the AppleTV.

It looks like they are getting ready for full scale movie downloads and community-type features.

Between this and the new box that has HDMI, there is something going on here.