PDA

View Full Version : New found Wii Love?

SSpiro
Apr 8, 2007, 06:43 PM
Curious.. when Wii came out, they were EVERYWHERE.. every store had stock, etc..

Now that I want to buy one for my son, they are sold out everywhere with long waiting lists..

Whats the deal? What am I missing? New version?

sikkinixx
Apr 8, 2007, 06:51 PM
ummm everywhere else, there have been no Wii's since launch :)

SSpiro
Apr 8, 2007, 06:55 PM
ummm everywhere else, there have been no Wii's since launch :)

Then I guess I should have grabbed some when they were here.. lol.

Phobophobia
Apr 8, 2007, 06:59 PM
I really hope the shortage doesn't last much longer, this may just end up being the longest one in history for game consoles :/

Dagless
Apr 8, 2007, 07:00 PM
There have been Wii's they just sell out fast :o

Pre-orders don't always work out either. We had one down from September, system launched in December and we had no idea where on the queue we were. So we luckily snatched one from my local Argos (they get 8-15 units every Thursday night) after putting an order on Wednesday.
I've noticed they start selling out as soon as a new game hits. I managed to get one in January, a friend of mine got his not long after. Then out came a few games and they were sold out again :( my girlfriend accumulated 3 of them... then out popped a few more games.

Good luck in hunting for one. There's a lot of demand for that little white box :)

I really hope the shortage doesn't last much longer, this may just end up being the longest one in history for game consoles :/

I believe the 360 was sold out here for 3 months, the PSP for 1 month. Wii is up to 5, certainly a modern day record.

JackAxe
Apr 8, 2007, 07:00 PM
When the Wii first came out, Nintendo shipped the bulk to the US, since it's the single most important market when it comes to gaming, but the Wii would sell out with in a few hours of it being stocked.

There's been a huge demand for the Wii and Nintendo is currently filling the demand of other regions, so they haven't been able to ship as many to the US.

Anyway, check stores like Target or Best Buy on a Sunday morning. They generally get the biggest shipment of Wiis.

<]=)

SSpiro
Apr 8, 2007, 08:18 PM
When the Wii first came out, Nintendo shipped the bulk to the US, since it's the single most important market when it comes to gaming, but the Wii would sell out with in a few hours of it being stocked.

There's been a huge demand for the Wii and Nintendo is currently filling the demand of other regions, so they haven't been able to ship as many to the US.

Anyway, check stores like Target or Best Buy on a Sunday morning. They generally get the biggest shipment of Wiis.

<]=)

That's where I've always seen them (Target), as I do my grocery shopping at super target.. I'll keep an eye out. I was blown away when I saw them on ebay for $400+ and talks about waiting lists, etc..

Phobophobia
Apr 8, 2007, 09:30 PM
Nintendo shipped the bulk to the US, since it's the single most important market when it comes to gaming
Interestingly, the DS has sold the most by far in Japan.

belovedmonster
Apr 9, 2007, 03:59 AM
What I find interesting is that all the analysts are now coming out to say they are surprised about how well the Wii is doing given that they all predicted it do OK, when in my mind it was blatantly obvious for 6 months leading up to the launch that the Wii was going to be the next big thing. Goes to show that they just work off data and economic trends rather than actually looking at the products appeal.

I just knew that given the success of the DS that people were going to lap this thing up given the price and the unique controller, and it seems I have been right because the thing is sold out everywhere, and not because every kid wants one, but because every kids Mom wants one!

twistedlegato
Apr 9, 2007, 06:53 AM
Wii has sold over 6 million!

And the DS lite over 23 million!!

belovedmonster
Apr 9, 2007, 07:12 AM
The crazy thing is, that unlike the 360 and PS3, Nintendo is making a profit on every Wii they sell. They must be making soooo much money.

I only hope they are investing this into a Xbox live killer. Somehow I doubt it though, and we will be stuck with 80 digit friend codes and lacklustre online support.

Dagless
Apr 9, 2007, 07:38 AM
Viva la Revolution :)

The more I think about it, the more it seems the DS was actually the "revolution" Nintendo was promising. It's pretty much the gaming platform right now, dominates sales charts on each continent etc... It was Nintendo's first steps towards bringing in the non-gamer, the Wii is more like the exclamation point to the DS's first sentence. The Wii really is just a console DS in so many ways. To sell almost 7 million units in the 5 months it has been out is incredible, especially given the lack of games, online play, HD etc. Looks like a console DS to me! It's like the NES or PS1 all over again.

ChrisK018
Apr 9, 2007, 10:58 AM
^ I just hope some more AAA games come out for it. I am nearing the end of Zelda...

atszyman
Apr 9, 2007, 11:12 AM
...The Wii really is just a portable DS in so many ways...

I know the Wii is small but more portable than the DS?

I'll xth the Target recommendation from this thread. Mine came from Target, with the help of some co-workers, and the only stories I've ever heard of people seeing them on the shelves were at Target.

They are definitely doing something right, heck my mother-in-law knows what a Wii is (even how to spell it) and that's really out of the ordinary for her.

SSpiro
Apr 10, 2007, 06:44 PM
That's where I've always seen them as well..

JackAxe
Apr 10, 2007, 09:40 PM
^ I just hope some more AAA games come out for it. I am nearing the end of Zelda...

If anything, EA,Take Two Interactive, and Activision are in a frenzy to make Wii games. The console's success really caught them off guard.

AAA = Super Paper Mario!!! :D

<]=)

2nyRiggz
Apr 11, 2007, 04:07 AM
^Yeah...real exciting ports.....milk that wii guys!;)

The wii always had love...its small, kinda cheap, wii sports, multiplayer games, swinging of the arms...great combo.

I'm seeing a few wii consoles pop up in my local GS/BB in NYC so all in the Manhattan area head out to 129th next to the Apollo...you might find one

Bless

ReanimationLP
Apr 11, 2007, 04:19 AM
I work at a Best Buy. I swear to the guy upstairs, if another person calls me asking if we have Wii's in stock, I'm gonna snap.

I work in the computer department. We're the first option on the phone menu. :mad:

Dagless
Apr 11, 2007, 06:46 AM
It's a shame EA and co are rushing out ports before their actual games come to the market. But ah well, Blackhand is supposed to be great and I actually want to play that snowboarding game (name escapes me).

The scramble started around January for dev kits. It's going to be a while but there is going to be a surge of games coming. For better (variety) or worse (most will probably be crap).

Agilus
Apr 11, 2007, 06:57 AM
I actually want to play that snowboarding game (name escapes me).

You're probably talking about SSX Blur.

The scramble started around January for dev kits. It's going to be a while but there is going to be a surge of games coming. For better (variety) or worse (most will probably be crap).

I'm actually looking forward to all these crap games. I figure crap games are what gave the PS1 its dominance in the market over the N64. Your average consumer says, "Platform A has more games than platform B, so it must be better," despite the quality of the games. At least that's what I remember people saying back in the N64 days.

And with the bad games, and more market share, the good games will find their way to the platform. Plus, maybe we'll see some interesting stuff from smaller developers.

whooleytoo
Apr 11, 2007, 07:27 AM
Likewise, I'm nearing the end of Zelda and looking for something else to try. I've had a look at the Wii selections and haven't found much to tempt me.

I was really hoping the Wii would induce some original games, but by and large it seems to be attracting ports from other consoles with scaled down graphics and the control system tacked on.

bowens
Apr 11, 2007, 07:37 AM
Last night I was in Walmart picking up Super Paper Mario and the guy working there says, "So you got one of those Wii things, huh?." I replied, "Yeah, do you have one yet." He says, "No, we can't keep them in stock. We still have people lining up at midnight to get them. Every shipment is sold within 4 hours."

This is in a very small town. A little ol' redneck town in Florida. This thing is incredible.