Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
So I was on Digg and I found a link to a preview at converse for fall 2007 product RED products.

One of them appears to be a product RED macbook and a note to those who say it is a colorware red computer, not only is the red a different color than what colorware offers, but also the keyboard and the side panels are not two tone white.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
this is like divine evidence. good find.

/end sarcasm

It would be cool to get a wide range of colors, not only red, but w/e sells. Just put Santa Rosa and Leopard out first.

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
Clearly a fake. The Photos are not taken in an elevator. Show me the elevator pics and then I will believe it. In all seriousness do you really think apple would be as tacky to only make the out side red. Look at the black macbook as an example. Apple would make the whole computer red. Track pad, keyboard, everything.

TheManOfSilver

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
Canada
It could still be a special promo item (like a stage prop) used only for the general product promotion as opposed to a true upcoming product. Still, it does look legit.

I just don't know how much of a draw a product(RED) Macbook would be.

JNB

macrumors 604
Yeah, I can see a WHOLE bunch of those being sold...

Actually, if it weren't so freaking expensive, I'd get a plain Macbook and have it done in a glossy black through Colorware. I like the Blackbooks, but the satin/eggshell finish is just a touch, I don't know, dull?

Doesn't matter, I'm getting one, anyway!

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
how does one know Converse didn't just paint two macbooks red to go with the other red props in the pic?

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
I do not really know if it is an Apple product, but it does not look like colorware to me, it could be just a bad angle of the picture, but it may just be a shell of some sort.

The link you posted from colorware clearly shows that (as I suggested before) colorware colors the entire case including the area around the keyboard in the color in question, this MB is red on the outside with a solid white keyboard and keyboard face, they are obviously not from the same colorware which means the product red one is not a product produced by colorware.

The link you posted from colorware clearly shows that (as I suggested before) colorware colors the entire case including the area around the keyboard in the color in question, this MB is red on the outside with a solid white keyboard and keyboard face, they are obviously not from the same colorware which means the product red one is not a product produced by colorware.

yeah, you might be right. I'm not sure if colorware allows you to customize the case or not. then again, it doesn't have to be colorware, it could be another custom shop's config.

But cool that you saw it! guess well see in the next couple of months.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Ha, sorry if there is any misunderstanding, I did not see these in person. This is just a link someone sent me to these pictures, I cannot take credit for being there or taking the photos.

I know lots of people who love the product Red ipods and don't even support product red but bought the ipod just because of the color (I would like to know how mucch product red money actually goes to Africa).

The only thing that is odd is that the keyboard is not painted, but perhaps that is the final design and Apple thought it would make typing hard or something.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
As someone pointed out, there is not enough red. I think if they did it, it would be like the Black MacBook, totally Red.

I think its a good reason to call these out as faked.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I think that, as with any Apple product, treat everything with skepticism until the actual product hits stores. But it would be rash to immediately call these photos fake.

There's could be any number of reasons why the inside would be white while the outside was painted red. I really don't see Apple's stopping production in at least one assembly line to mix up a special batch of red polycarbonate and manufacture exactly two (2) red MacBooks. Perhaps if/when the product launch happens and a production run of several thousand (or maybe tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands?) happens, we'll see the real thing, and maybe then the entire casing, keyboard and all, will be red.

Then again... I personally like the white interior, and wouldn't see myself enjoying typing on a bright red keyboard very much. Maybe a red interior just doesn't work well when one actually happens to want to use such a computer for an extended period of time. Of course, this is coming from someone who thinks the silver finish on the keyboard of the MBP is tacky as all hell, but I got one anyway because that's the only color they come in.

Also note that not ALL (red) products are totally red: the Red RAZR, for instance, still retained its metallic silver keypad on the interior.

At the end of the day, I have my reservations and skepticism regarding the (red) campaign as a whole in terms of the philosophy behind it and whether it's really effective, but that's a whole other discussion for another forum. :)

I wouldn't call these fake at all. I mean we have seen this in iPods. So what would be so huge if they did it with the MacBook?

It wouldn't be "huge", but it would be cool and I think they would sell a significant number of them. Imagine sitting at a coffee shop, ans someone sits next to you with a bright red computer. It would definitely stand out and draw attention to the apple logo. Everyone would check it out just because it looks different.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't think they're Colorware, nor made by Apple. THey're spraypainted or something. A real Apple product would have red inside I feel sure. But good find anyway :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
There really isn't anything there that would strongly suggest those are anything other than paint jobs. With the Colorware corporate branding service, customers are not limited to the stock colors and masking schemes available for consumer ordering, and of course Colorware isn't the only paint shop around that can handle a notebook.

Smurfed

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
Those are real and very much Legit.

Freshnessmag only deals with Legit stuff. If there are any sneakerheads they can back up that claim :D

Thi

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
It really doesn't take much to tape a laptop and paint it especially if you don't have to worry about the screen and keys if you look closely you can tell that it's been painted and why is this such big news?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Not saying it's real, but it's not colorware. You can see that on the inside the area around the keyboard is white, and Colorware paints that part, so it would be red.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I thought of the speck case, but the one close-up clearly shows it lacking the groove/details the the speck case has.

I call spraypaint :)

An official red MacBook is plausible, but I think the palmrest would be red, and that Apple wouldn't let them out in this way.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I thought of the speck case, but the one close-up clearly shows it lacking the groove/details the the speck case has.

I call spraypaint :)

An official red MacBook is plausible, but I think the palmrest would be red, and that Apple wouldn't let them out in this way.

You're right.Also remember Apple and Nike have a close relationship.Unless Converse is made by Nike..

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I wouldn't call these fake at all. I mean we have seen this in iPods. So what would be so huge if they did it with the MacBook?

Depends what you mean by "fake". It's looks like a legit Converse(RED) showcase, and is likely a 100% legit photo. The photos are at a 100% legit shoe-groupie website. Now, is the MacBook in the photo red? Yes. Is it an official Product (RED) item? Maybe not.

Their aim wasn't even to show the Apple laptop, so it's not like they're going through this much trouble to trick Mac users. They're not Mac-geeks -- they're shoe junkies. If this photo was found on a simple blog to show us top-secret photos of the upcoming Apple MacBook(RED), then I'd be more skeptical. I'm less skeptical of a Converse product showcase with a MacBook in the background.

I hope it is an official Product(RED) item, and that this was a slip-up by the photographer, who wasn't supposed to premiere the MacBook at this time himself.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
They're obviously shells. If they were going to do this I'm sure they'd have dropped it the same time as the nano.

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on, though, is that all those shoes are as ugly as the devil's face. Give me my pinstripe Cons over those festering lumps of mugly any day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.