Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

addicted2mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
I am trying to fix a 1st Gen Nano that freezes when you plug the USB cable into the computer. Hard resets get the iPod to reset and enable it to be unplugged without the "Do Not Disconnect" screen being present, but if you leave it on the USB cable it just resets and freezes once again. Both iTunes and the DiskUtlity do not recognize the iPod being plugged into the computer. All I want to do it completely reset the Ipod. I am not too familiar with the workings of flash memory iPods.

What could be wrong with this thing? Is it a dead duck?

Please assist.

addicted2mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
Different Cable

Do you mean a different USB cable. If so, this is the second USB cable I have tried.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I meant a different USB cable. Can you try a different machine then? It probably still won't work, but it might be worth a shot. It's starting to look like a job for Apple though. :eek:

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I have a similar problem... when I plug in my 2nd Gen. Ipod mini.. the charing battery symbol comes on the screen and freezes... and when I unplug it the screen goes away. Also, it's not being recognized... help?

EDIT: Nevermind, I unplugged it and replugged it in about 4 more times and now it's working... weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.