PDA

View Full Version : Jumping through Hoops to get an iMac

dswoodley
Jun 15, 2003, 02:01 PM
Well, after pleading and jumping through hoops you wouldn't believe I finally convinced my office at a local university to buy me a 17inch iMac as my desktop machine. i can believe what I had to go through to get it. I had to provide a cost comparison showing a similarly equiped wintel cost a close amount. I had to draft a memo stating I understood IT wouldn't support it and I would be responsible for my own IT support. I had to provide *proof* that Apple wasn't going out of business soon and that Microsoft Office really existed for the Mac (and was interchangeable with the PC version). i endured numerous hecklings. When it showed up, what happened? "oooooo", "ahhhhh", "that's a mac?" I think i may have made a few converts....

I can't believe the crap I had to go through to get it only to have people admire the same machine. Any similar stories out there?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 15, 2003, 02:12 PM
so what did you use as proof that apple wasn't going out of business? heh

well, you stuck it to them... enjoy playing warcraft 3 on their, widescreen native! oh wait. work machine eh? ;)

Billicus
Jun 15, 2003, 06:27 PM
Good for you. At least it isn't like your going to have very many IT problems to deal with anyway. Macintosh computers tend to be fairly trouble free in my experience. Some poeple can be very ignorant.

dswoodley
Jun 15, 2003, 09:40 PM
I used Apple's last quarter earnings statement where they said they had over $4 billion in cash on hand. I know that's not proof of going out of business, but most companies with that much cash on hand tend to be good for at least a few years.

evil
Jun 15, 2003, 10:12 PM
damn. well congratulations on your success.
could you convince them to get me one too please?

jethroted
Jun 16, 2003, 02:03 PM
I love my flat imac. I wish that I could get them to give me one at work, but no matter what kind of hoops I jump through, it will never happen. :( Oh well, I have one at home, and that's good enough for me!

anneleonard
Jun 18, 2003, 05:25 AM
I can't stand my work windows 98 PC, its never worked properly since i bought my 17" iMac! :rolleyes: I'm leaving this job and hoping and praying that I will be able to work on a mac for my next job (applying for them at the moment). A lot of the ones I'm applying for involve a lot of travelling about to meetings, so I'm hoping that I'd be able to get a laptop. I'm also hoping that they would be open to me getting an apple notebook, i would just so love to get a powerbook :D