Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
I'm use to the tin can effect of everything else i've owned. I took my computer to my friends bar (I can mootch off the near by coffee shops wifi here) the other night. A friend stopped bartended to play guitar for a few mins. Figured i'd test out the built in mic. I expected it to sound crappy but it came out quite nice.

Here's what I recorded.

http://media.putfile.com/Live-at-the-Met

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Next time you are doing an audio chat and they've got a lot of noise going on (blenders for example) - try "Use ambient noise reduction". It's very impressive. (wouldn't be good for music, however)

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
It sounds almost studio quality. The bartender sounds pretty good. What program did you use to record?

I actually used iMovie, ripped the audio from the video, then converted it to .mp3 in iTunes :)

But I just downloaded an app that will save me the trouble of all that again lol..

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I actually used iMovie, ripped the audio from the video, then converted it to .mp3 in iTunes :)

But I just downloaded an app that will save me the trouble of all that again lol..

If you use something like Audacity or Sound Studio, there are probably also appropriate noise filters that do work with music, compressors, etc, that can quickly get you to a nice output.

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
That sounded pretty damn good. Good Guitar player too!

I listened to the whole thing.

I didn't that a laptop could record good sound like that.

Yeah I didn't either. Not with the internal mic anyway.. That's why I was so supprised.

I def want to get a good app for recording. I play guitar myself and it would be fun to mess around with.

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
Garageband really isn't all that bad at all. You can also try Audacity (a very basic but functional multi-track that's a little more spartan than Garageband) and Ardour (a free hardcore digital audio workstation).

Ahh.. Yeah.. well.. I don't know anything about garage band and this was spur of the moment... Maybe i'll just learn it since it's already on my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.