Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
should apple make an ultra low cost computer for students around 499-599 dollars?

currently, the best price is at 700+ for students for an imac

(ps - thanks, mischief, for the idea for this thread ;-)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Right now Apple has deals on older iMacs and PowerMacs for education:

Indigo iMac-
$699.00
500MHz
PowerPC G3
256K L2 cache @500 MHz
128MB SDRAM
20GB Ultra ATA drive
CD-ROM Drive
RAGE 128 Ultra w/ 16MB
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
56K internal modem
15-inch display
(13.8-inch VIS)
Harman Kardon Speakers
2 USB & 2 FireWire ports
AirPort Ready

PowerMac-
$1,199.00
733MHz
PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache
256MB SDRAM
memory
40GB Ultra ATA drive
CD-RW drive
ATI Radeon 7500
56K internal modem

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
PowerMac-
$1,199.00
733MHz
PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache
256MB SDRAM
memory
40GB Ultra ATA drive
CD-RW drive
ATI Radeon 7500
56K internal modem

where did you find that powermac for 1,199?
I'v only seen them 1,299

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by dualburn001

where did you find that powermac for 1,199?
I'v only seen them 1,299

I found it through the educational site for my school (San Diego State University). They also have this one:

$1,439.00
800MHz
PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache
256MB SDRAM memory
40GB Ultra ATA drive
CD-RW drive
ATI Radeon 7500
56K internal modem

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
hey iv wanted to know how they check if you go to the college you say you do at the educational store site because i just finished college and i need a new comp, but i need something cheap.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by dualburn001
hey iv wanted to know how they check if you go to the college you say you do at the educational store site because i just finished college and i need a new comp, but i need something cheap.

Yeah, they have a little license agreement that you have to agree to. Does the bookstore at your old university have a tech store you can order from?

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
yea but what stops some 40 year old guy who never even went to college to agree to the agreement

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
yea but what stops some 40 year old guy who never even went to college to agree to the agreement

Attorneys like me. ;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: low cost macs for students

Originally posted by jefhatfield
should apple make an ultra low cost computer for students around 499-599 dollars?

currently, the best price is at 700+ for students for an imac

(ps - thanks, mischief, for the idea for this thread ;-)

ABSOLUTELY! I'm with u on this one jef!!! :p

I don't even need it....but if there were one I'd get it anyway...

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I agree there should be a few really cheap Macs for students.

But, Apple does do a really good job of cutting prices on their standard machines if you're a student.

Thank you, Apple! :D

Screamingbeaver

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2001
St. Paul, MN
I've saved a bunch of cash...

I've got a funny little story..... I was gonna purchase my first G4 from apple, I called them up and asked a bunch of questions, It was right when the AGP G4s came out. He asked me if I was a student. I said, "no". He asked if I have any family members going to school. I again said, "no". He then asked, "are you sure you don't have any friends that are students?" And I did have a friend that was a student. I've purchased both my G4 tower and my Pismo Powerbook from Apple using education discounts and I saved several hundred dollars. I did have to fax them my friend's tuition statement, the first time. When I bought my Pismo, he just asked if I've used their edu discount before.

It seemed really easy for me to purchase these, or they really wanted to move thier product.

'Beaver

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
the problem i see with apples discount is its pretty worthless for a real student. its great for the teacher or university but for actual students it sucks. apple offers good savings on the pro models but $20-$50 discounts on the consumer models is a joke. give the kids a nice 100 savings and maybe students will consider buying apple. i think its funny that powermacs now are cheaper for a student than an imac. i almost bought an imac then realized i could get a powermac for cheaper(and thats with the 17" monitor!). pretty silly if you ask me. most pc companies offer a standard % off all models, usually 20%. i had some friends who were pretty impressed by my mac and osx, but when they saw how crappy the education discounts were they bought dell. the big deal is on pro models or if you are buying directly through the university. ive always looked at pro models before so i was shocked to see the crumby consumer deals. arent the consumer models the ones that students should be buying?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
the problem i see with apples discount is its pretty worthless for a real student. its great for the teacher or university but for actual students it sucks. apple offers good savings on the pro models but $20-$50 discounts on the consumer models is a joke. give the kids a nice 100 savings and maybe students will consider buying apple. i think its funny that powermacs now are cheaper for a student than an imac. i almost bought an imac then realized i could get a powermac for cheaper(and thats with the 17" monitor!). pretty silly if you ask me. most pc companies offer a standard % off all models, usually 20%. i had some friends who were pretty impressed by my mac and osx, but when they saw how crappy the education discounts were they bought dell. the big deal is on pro models or if you are buying directly through the university. ive always looked at pro models before so i was shocked to see the crumby consumer deals. arent the consumer models the ones that students should be buying?

I agree, it looks like the pricing scheme is a bad fit for the buyers.

But I don't see how the PowerMac is cheaper. When I go to the HigherEd store for my institution the lowest 2002 iMac and Lowest PowerMac are both $1,199. iBooks are $1,099 and TiBooks are $2,069. What prices are you finding?

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by mcrain

Attorneys like me. ;)

in the UK theres three methods of buying as a student - shop for yourself as a student, shop for you school or college, and shop for your school etc as an authorised purchaser.

i you just buy for yourself as a student, a basic imac is £ 899 w.o. tax (as opposed to the retail £978- a big saving not to be sneezed at!). and the ibook £821 however I think the burden of proof for this 'student' status is pretty weak, and you can have it shipped to your home.

If you use the buy for your college or uni option, the price remains teh same for the basic imac (899), but theres a further 30 quid or so of a basic ibook - a pretty good deal in my book (£791)! However, to use this option you need to submit a purchase order from your institution, and have delivery to that address ( you also cant resell the device for a period of time). This requires a compliant accounts department, or a research budget from which to shuffle funds around ;) I believe these prices may vary from institution to institution depending upon what local deals have been done, but either way, these are pretty significant savings (better than 10% usually), just dont buy extra ram from apple! :)

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001

Indigo iMac-
$699.00
500MHz
PowerPC G3
256K L2 cache @500 MHz
128MB SDRAM
20GB Ultra ATA drive
CD-ROM Drive
RAGE 128 Ultra w/ 16MB
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
56K internal modem
15-inch display
(13.8-inch VIS)
Harman Kardon Speakers
2 USB & 2 FireWire ports
AirPort Ready

PowerMac-
$1,199.00
733MHz
PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache
256MB SDRAM
memory
40GB Ultra ATA drive
CD-RW drive
ATI Radeon 7500
56K internal modem

No, No,NOOO

That is not cheap enough, yes they present value for money but that is not the criteria we are ****ing looking at.

We are looking at Price, not value for money, but price.

And a price a student can afford is $500, most of you dont realise that because most of you are true mac users who have not experienced the need for a $500 mac, but trust me there are alot of us out there.
Mac users are better of than PC users, so i dont expect u to ****ing understand.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Re: 619 iMac

Originally posted by Mac_User
Uhhh...Apple special savings store has iMacs starting at 620 dollars, and I think that is pretty damn cheap!

NO NO NO NO NO, ****ING HELL NO.

620 dollars is not cheap, it is not cheap for me, it is not cheap for a student. $500 is the price a student of my financial status is looking at.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: 619 iMac

Originally posted by spikey

NO NO NO NO NO, ****ING HELL NO.

620 dollars is not cheap, it is not cheap for me, it is not cheap for a student. $500 is the price a student of my financial status is looking at.

$500 is an arbitrary number. Why not $400, $300 or $200? For many students $200 is just as unaffordable as $200. Apple has set a competitive price compared to other manufacturers and the value of the machines.

Sure we'd all love to see cheaper machines. We'd all love to see PPC chips kicking the hell out of x86 chips too, but that's just not the case.

All caps and **** don't make you right.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Re: Re: Re: 619 iMac

$500 is an arbitrary number. Why not $400, $300 or $200? For many students $200 is just as unaffordable as $200. Apple has set a competitive price compared to other manufacturers and the value of the machines.

Sure we'd all love to see cheaper machines. We'd all love to see PPC chips kicking the hell out of x86 chips too, but that's just not the case.

All caps and **** don't make you right.

Ofcourse apple would miss a marlet looking for the $200 PC, but there isnt a possible market there for apple anyway, the market isnt big, the market isnt interested in having their own PC and instead uses one at work or college.
Trust me becaus ei know these people i work with them.

You missed my point completely which to tell the truith isnt surprising ****head. this isnt about competitive pricing or even about value, this is about a cheap machine for a cheap price. There isnt an expectation to bring a current mac into that price range and there isnt an expectation to make the value of consumer macs better like your poxy head is conjuring up:

"Apple has set a competitive price compared to other manufacturers and the value of the machines."

Look at my post, read the ****ing thing, and take in what i say instead of tryining to concentrate on disproving it with the drops of cum you call "points":

I dont give a **** about Caps ****head, look at my post and see how tha makes me right and you quite obviously wrong.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
for students who want a PC at $400 they can save up for a $500.
For students who need a PC at <$400, there isnt a market for a PC that cheap without damaging the reputation of a company, it just is not possible and so there isnt a market.For students with that budget there are PCs in schools.

All the **** that spurts out your mouth doesnt make you right.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by spikey
for students who want a PC at $400 they can save up for a $500.
For students who need a PC at <$400, there isnt a market for a PC that cheap without damaging the reputation of a company, it just is not possible and so there isnt a market.For students with that budget there are PCs in schools.

All the **** that spurts out your mouth doesnt make you right.

And the students (you) who want a PC at $500 can save up to $620...just like they could from $400 to $500. Once again, if you read my post instead of pressing shift+8 all the time, I said it's an arbitrary number that you think is right. eMachines are cheap machines at cheap prices. Value is what Apple is all about. Buy a used one for crying out loud if you have to.

As for the rest, well, I think you should let your mouth do the talking and not your ass.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001

And the students (you) who want a PC at $500 can save up to $620...just like they could from $400 to $500. Once again, if you read my post instead of pressing shift+8 all the time, I said it's an arbitrary number that you think is right. eMachines are cheap machines at cheap prices. Value is what Apple is all about. Buy a used one for crying out loud if you have to.

As for the rest, well, I think you should let your mouth do the talking and not your ass.

The only reason why $400 students should save is becasue there is no viable alternative for them.The $500 students should have an alternative in a mac that is cheap. I really shoudlnt expect you to work this out on your own should i.

this arbitary number is a number based upon:

Me going to a college prodominantly made up of students like me.
Me working as this student
Me working with all my friends who are this student
Me visiting numerous other countries like Malaysia, portugal, australia, with students like me.
Me realising that this (based upon experience) number is most likely the average number for a student in the market i am talking about.

Now tell me ****head, how do you come up with your "numbers"?

eMachines break so this is not a possible option, and this misses the point which is about apple sp[reading its user base over a more varied type of people. Buying a used one is also not possible...thats right tosser... because it makes no inherent gain for apple, this is about apple targeting a market. Did you not even read what the subject is on about?

Apple is about value for money???
Ok then u little ****head explain to me why a PC of comparable price to the imac with a 1.2Ghz athlon kicks the **** into it.

Apple is about a quality product which u have to pay extra for. that is what people on these boards have been saying for a very long time but u havent noticed because you are naive.

As for the rest..... oh wait there is no rest to disprove, now look who talks out their ass. I have no pity for those hard of thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.