Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
CNN writes about Maine's iBook program and overall seems positive about it, but i found it funny that only about halfway through the article you get a note that these are Apple computers («2 Notebooks were sent back to Apple for repairs, because they broke»). Anyway, read about it here.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Where does it say these are apple's?

A four-year contract with Apple for the first phase in middle schools cost the state $37.2 million.

That sounds like buying to me...
edit: I read the line, but it seems that because they broke they wanted apple themselves to repair, I guess they have Apple Care Package... :p

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by MrMacman
I read the line, but it seems that because they broke they wanted apple themselves to repair, I guess they have Apple Care Package... :p

I think that if Apple got such a sweet deal with the whole state of Maine, the least Apple could do if provide free repairs and support.

irmongoose

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Originally posted by irmongoose
And you've been hibernating in a cave for the past 2 years? I suggest you take a look here.

irmongoose

That's what happens when you're prejudiced I guess ;) My wintel experience consists of word and excel and the blue screen of death.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
wow, only 2 computers were sent back, im shocked. i thought it would be way more than that. congrats to apple and maine.

iJon

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
It would have been nice to hear a little bit more about Apple's involvement in the deal...but I guess the story wasn't suppose to be an ad for Apple. Still, good publicity.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Originally posted by iJon
wow, only 2 computers were sent back, im shocked. i thought it would be way more than that. congrats to apple and maine.

iJon

If you read the article, two out of this guy's class of sixteen or something are sent back in for repairs. There are like 17,000 laptops or something... I'm sure others in other classes are also having issues. There's just no way they couldn't be with that many computers.

Alia

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by alia
If you read the article, two out of this guy's class of sixteen or something are sent back in for repairs. There are like 17,000 laptops or something... I'm sure others in other classes are also having issues. There's just no way they couldn't be with that many computers.

Alia
oh, i just zipped through it. hopefully apple fixes them cheap, i think they said they would fix them even if kids dropped them too.

iJon

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
I am from Maine, the deal is actually on hold I believe due to budget constraints, it wasn't canceled, but after the initial round of laptops it got put on hold, (again not quite sure if it has started up again).

So far as I know, everyone involved is pleased, the ibook is perfect for students, and I think the teachers got pbooks, have to check that.

It seems most K-8 grades use Apple and then 9-12 use PC's, thats the way it seems here.

A note, I believe Microsoft did the study that recommended the laptops for students, but Apple products were chosen ;]

A older article spelling out the contract;

http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,49046,00.html

Apple special pricing (?) Page for Maine parents;

http://www.apple.com/education/maineparent/

cyas!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by daRAT
A note, I believe Microsoft did the study that recommended the laptops for students, but Apple products were chosen
that is real funny. all i remember reading is that microsoft helped fund 1 milllion dollars to the program.

iJon

pellucidity

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2003
US
Good thinking for the future

I think that this program represents a natural model for education, and I hope that Apple can use this to regain crucial share in the education market- this is where minds and hearts are won

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.