Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
The last few days when using my CD MacBook, the trackpad has occasionally spazzed out. By this I mean when using it, it will suddenly not do anything and jump around the screen at the slightest touch.

I first thought it was only doing if the laptop when to sleep but its doing it more and more now.

Anyone had this?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I had that with my PowerBook recently.

It was super sensitive and I could move the pointer around with my finger about an inch above the trackpad.

I restarted and everything was fine again.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
FWIW, you can reset your trackpad by holding your palm over it (covering it) for about five seconds. I find if my fingers are sweaty, they can mess with the trackpad, especially as the machine warms up. However, resetting it usually helps. :)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I've had similar problems, especially in Windows (Boot Camp). However in my case, it's slightly different - it's just the centre of the trackpad that is jerky/unresponsive. If I slide my finger around near the edges of the trackpad it works fine, and seems to reset it somehow so it then works ok.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks for the response.

It will do it randomly and isn't me touching it accidentily. Sometimes it will move and other it just goes mental.

Normally does it after its been on for 10 mins or so, othertimes straight after a reboot, but normally a reboot is what fixes it.

Think I'll take it to get it looked at. Need the casing replacing anyway due to a very slight stain appearing now.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-AndyR

Could be a number of things:

Finger grease varnish (ew). Us Ammonia Windex.
Static discharge from your fingers. - mess with is real good. Reset using the palm method.
It could truly be foob'd.

bobkeenan

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2007
Same Problem

trackpad work great in OS X but on the XP side its good for a few minutes and then gets really sensitive and then its nearly uncontrollable. BUT on the edges it works ok?

I never see this on the OS X side and consistently see it on the XP side.

So I use a mini mouse when I go to XP. That works great

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Think I'm going to sent it for Applecare.

Was working fine last night when I stopped using it for a minute or so to read a long email, went to use it again and would barely move. Then would jump around like mad.

Power cycled the MacBook and same problem, left it off for 10 mins, same thing, booted to Windows and same issue, rebooted to Mac a couple more times and then it worked fine.

Oh well, back to Apple it goes... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.