PDA

View Full Version : Wii Connect...

bluewire
Apr 10, 2007, 09:24 AM
Does anyone here think that Nintendo will patch the terrible Wii/DS wifi connect friend code online system and make it way more intuitive like how the xBxLive system works?

Nintendo is usually great about this sort of thing but their online system is just wretched. In fact, its an absolute buzz killer.

Is there any chance a simple firmware update can correct this one day?

Please fix this Nintendo!!!

Sky Blue
Apr 10, 2007, 10:24 AM
Does anyone here think that Nintendo will patch the terrible Wii/DS wifi connect friend code online system and make it way more intuitive like how the xBxLive system works?

No.

pcypert
Apr 10, 2007, 11:17 AM
I predict about four more posts before some moron comes in and says that he doesn't need online stuff because the fun is playing party games together in house....

I think if they're as wise and forward looking as everyone here holds them up to be they will. If they're short sighted, stupid, or completely blind to advances that are making the other system what it is then no....I'm hoping they do change things up and this is the reason for the delay. Otherwise things are going to be pretty lame on that end....shame too as some of the games are ripe for online playing.

Dagless
Apr 10, 2007, 12:09 PM
All my mates live locally. Which somehow makes me a moron.

evilgEEk
Apr 10, 2007, 12:11 PM
...shame too as some of the games are ripe for online playing.

I agree.

Unfortunately I don't see Nintendo correcting this until perhaps the next generation. I don't know what moron came up with the idea of randomly generated 16 character "friend codes", but s/he should be fired.

At least it's not as bad as the DS where every stinkin game has a code.

Oh well, I still enjoy my Wii. Plus online play doesn't really effect me as I'm not a big online gamer anyway, but it still would be nice if they could make something decent. :rolleyes:

All my mates live locally. Which somehow makes me a moron.

The problem with having friends over to play is there's always that awkward moment when they realize you like to play video games in the nude...

Antares
Apr 10, 2007, 12:17 PM
Bah. The fun of multiplayer is playing together in one room in front of one tv. Who needs online stuff, anyway? :p (see, you prediction is wrong, pcypert...only 3 posts)

Heh, heh. Except I'm not in college or high school anymore....where I once had friends who lived close by who could come over at any time and play. Nope. I don't have that luxery anymore. I play when I can and that may not be when friends are available. I'd like to be able to play with/against someone else, even if it's someone I don't know. That being said, playing with people in front of 1 tv is more fun then playing alone with everyone in front of their own tv's.

Anyway, I doubt that Nintendo would get rid of Friend Codes. There wouldn't be any easy way to do so now, at this point. However, having Friend Codes doesn't preclude the ability to play random people online. Isn't Super Mario Strikers supposed to have that ability?

Dagless
Apr 10, 2007, 12:26 PM
The problem with having friends over to play is there's always that awkward moment when they realize you like to play video games in the nude...

You don't play naked with your friends :p

thewhitehart
Apr 10, 2007, 12:37 PM
It is a bit sad. I suppose Nintendo uses the whole mutual registering scheme to protect its kiddie demographic from receiving random friendship requests from pedophiles. Sixteen digit codes is absurd, though. You should be able to link a Wii code to an email address, or something.

I added tons of people from the list on that other thread here, and I have like no mutual Wii friends anyway. And of the ones who did mutually register me, I had like one Mii show up in Mii plaza. What's that about?

My code is 7732 3170 4587 4467 if anyone wants to add me.

pcypert
Apr 10, 2007, 12:53 PM
It's only moronic when someone completely ignores the fact that having the ability to play online easily when one feels the mood (maybe friends are out of town but you'd like a quick match or you'd like to test your skills against the best, sure it's easy beating you mom and girlfriend but maybe you'd like to try some new folks :) ) just because one doesn't immediately see the need...

or as is often the case things get dogged that weren't included with the Wii initially because people spent so much time defending against Sony fanboys :) So since it didn't have a DVD player initially everyone's on about how cheap they are to get anyways and what's one more component in the chain and one more idle power sucker (yes they do still suck power even when off). Or since online isn't out for half a year noone really needs it because we can play in house...friends are apparently over at all hours of the day and night so no problems there ;)

Paul

bluewire
Apr 10, 2007, 12:55 PM
But doesn't Pokemon have its own # code and that is one of the problems? I saw that on wikipedia that the forthcoming US pokemon (out in japan already for wii) has its own seperate friend code system - in other words, back to nDS type online registration.

I'm about to get a Wii but I can't imagine how annoying it will be in Animal Crossing or Metroid to have to deal with the the annoying draconian wifi connect system.

From wikipedia:

Online functionality
Battle Revolution is the first Wii and Pokémon home console title to go online. It uses its own 12-digit friend code, separate from the Wii's code. This has received widespread controversy, because the use of a Wii Number was believed to eliminate the need to have a friend code for each online game, as with DS Wi-Fi games.

Dagless
Apr 10, 2007, 01:03 PM
I don't see the need immediately? Alright I suppose the 9 years I've spent playing PC games online and the 1-2 years playing my DS online, and being bored to tears by lack of friends just being there (or strangers in uni-powered LAN competition) gives me no opinion on the matter. So I'm a moron because I don't like what you like. cool as!

It is beautifully ironic seeing people who once seemed level headed behave like this.

JackAxe
Apr 10, 2007, 01:06 PM
I have to input a number when I call a friend's phone, so doing a similiar action with my DS, or "shortly" the Wii doesn't bother me one bit.

I had a great experience with Mario Kart DS and a few other DS games, so I'm more than optimistic of what Nintendo is bringing to the Wii. I'm pretty sure the Wii will only need one number this time around, which would be my only request. But since it will be FREE, I really won't be bothered if I have to register each new game. I'm already used to it.

Public games on any network generally suck, do to the fact that so called hardcore gamers, AKA 12 year old boys, are just a bit too prevalent for my liking. They are generally fowl-mouthed poor sports. I've always played private games with with my friends. Rarely do we ever go public these days when we get the itch to game. Generally when we do find time to game, It's time we all agree is better spent with friends.

<]=)

Dagless
Apr 10, 2007, 01:18 PM
Generally when we do find time to game, It's time we all agree is better spent with friends.

<]=)

Hear hear!

2nyRiggz
Apr 10, 2007, 01:35 PM
Friend codes is one of the most dumbest things. How hard is it just to have a name and call it a day...noooo you need different digits for every stupid game on the DS and maybe the wii.

I have to input a number when I call a friend's phone, so doing a similiar action with my DS, or "shortly" the Wii doesn't bother me one bit.

Right then... for every game...:confused:

I wish they would just rip off XBL and get it over with...damn I wish they would start wii online:rolleyes:

Bless

sikkinixx
Apr 10, 2007, 02:52 PM
The whole friend code this is a joke. Just get user names already for god's sake. Nintendo is all about user friendly gaming isn't it? Well reciting pi for every game isn't user friendly in my books...

Antares
Apr 10, 2007, 03:04 PM
You don't play naked with your friends :p

Are you telling me you guys never played strip Mario Kart at uni? (I'm referring to back in the Mario Kart 64 days) Here are the rules: 4th place loses a garment, 3rd place does nothing, 2nd place gets a garment back, 1st place has the choice of either getting a garment back or telling the 4th place person what to loose. I'm pretty sure it could be adapted to any type of party game, I guess.....

Agilus
Apr 10, 2007, 03:12 PM
Are you telling me you guys never played strip Mario Kart at uni? (I'm referring to back in the Mario Kart 64 days) Here are the rules: 4th place loses a garment, 3rd place does nothing, 2nd place gets a garment back, 1st place has the choice of either getting a garment back or telling the 4th place person what to loose. I'm pretty sure it could be adapted to any type of party game, I guess.....

Ha ha, sounds like a fun variation. Never played it, but I once played Mario Kart 64 as a drinking game back in college. Unfortunately, one of the contestants "had to drive home" and wouldn't drink, so you can guess how that game went. :P It was fun anyway. :)

Dagless
Apr 10, 2007, 04:12 PM

Hah, after re-reading what I wrote I should have added a "?" at the end.

College was full of Smash Bros Melee, Uni is full of Mario Kart DD and Street Fighter Alpha 3 (DC). God I hope we never progress past the sixth generation consoles for multiplayer games.

twistedlegato
Apr 10, 2007, 08:17 PM
Mario Strikers Charged has been announced online!

And no frined codes either! Unless you want to play with a specific person or some one out of your country.

pcypert
Apr 10, 2007, 09:04 PM
Jimmi, did I ever say you? No. Pretty defensive. I was merely clarifying my definition of moronic from my post above. I was saying that anyone who did that was a moron....if you haven't done that you're not the moron I was referencing. I wasn't talking about anyone in particular, just saying there would probably be folks who would say its not needed as a feature because they can only see as far as their living room.

Funny you should assume everything is about you though ;)

Paul

Dagless
Apr 10, 2007, 09:20 PM
With you, it normally is :D

JackAxe
Apr 10, 2007, 09:33 PM
Talk about picking something that's rather superficial to gripe about.

Just because Nintendo is watching out for young ones and would rather not offer a FREE service that's overun by the typical-immature-hardcore gamer, or even worse, pedophiles, doesn't mean they're being dumb. It's called being cautious. And once again, the service is FREE.

The Wii has one system code, I'm pretty sure that's all you'll need for future Wii games, but that's just me speculating. If this is not the case, the FREEness will more than make up for a rather miniscule inconvenience. Does 10-key input instill fear in you peeps? Really, it only takes a couple of minutes to get a game setup with the friend code. I guess if I bought dozens a games a week and owned 16 consoles, I would be pretty annoyed if I had to spend and extra minute setting up a game so that I can play my friends online.

Anyways my "pampered" friends, A user name requires a credit card on other sytems. So unless your current online service is FREE, or will be offering a FREE service shortly, your gripes are just a form of forum entertainment.

Freak, some people are never satisfied.

Look at me, I can use this icon. ---------------> :p

<]=)

2nyRiggz
Apr 10, 2007, 11:09 PM
^PSN is free with usernames and icons live has silver with usernames and icons..waiting on a smart remark from a ninty camp member.

People always ranting on about easy to use and the works now they want to talk about blah blah blah...WHATEVER...make as much excuses as you want but in the end...the wii code is still dumb.

Bless

applekid
Apr 11, 2007, 12:57 AM
I wish they would just rip off XBL and get it over with...damn I wish they would start wii online:rolleyes:

Seriously.

Either that, or keep one universal code. No reason to input codes for each game.

Although I can wait for online play because none of my friends have a Wii, I am very much looking forward to X-Box Live when I get my 360. I know at least 4 people right now I could be gaming with.

JackAxe
Apr 11, 2007, 02:11 AM
^PSN is free with usernames and icons live has silver with usernames and icons..waiting on a smart remark from a ninty camp member.

People always ranting on about easy to use and the works now they want to talk about blah blah blah...WHATEVER...make as much excuses as you want but in the end...the wii code is still dumb.

Bless

^ ^ ^
And you're certainly welcome to express your "opinion."

Calling Nintendo's execution dumb, just because it causes you a minor inconvenience at the expense of keeping a safer network for kids, is rather shallow, if not shortsighted on your part. That's my opinion.

Think of a better solution that doesn't require a kid registering his/her name and guarantees that the other person logging on to play is a friend. This is especially important if the game includes a chat feature. Something they can do without their parent's consent and propose it to Nintendo. Obviously you know better than them, so they would probably appreciate your input.

Sony's network is free. NooOooooooooooo... It can't be....

Just curious, after you typed your first blurb, how long did you wait for a response before finishing your post? :)

<]=)

2nyRiggz
Apr 11, 2007, 04:00 AM
^I just typed a long arse post but the electricity cut out and I can't be bothered to type it again and mainly because I can't remember it.....it was interesting though:)

Bless

Dagless
Apr 11, 2007, 06:43 AM
Sony's network is free. NooOooooooooooo... It can't be....

Sony's setup may be free, but charging for clothes for a virtual character to wear in game= massive instant fail.

Honestly if they're going to charge you for that, what else will they charge for?

pcypert
Apr 11, 2007, 11:11 AM
To think that by keeping kids from playing games online with pedo's keeps them safe is like carrying an umbrella in a tornado. I work for a NGO that helps with issues revolving around child trafficking and exploitation and let me just say that online codes and play buddies are the least of people's concerns. And I'd love to see some stats that shows little kiddies falling victim on the 360. :rolleyes:

The code thing is stupid....end of the line. Even Jimmi has marveled at the Xbox Live setup, but I can't mention how wonderfully implemented it was because it costs like 7 bucks a month...gasp. So expensive.

In the end we still don't know though because nothing's out stateside. If they do rip off XBL I wonder if Wii folks will finally admit it's a solid system or will find a way to still grumble...

Paul

sikkinixx
Apr 11, 2007, 11:17 AM
*freaking out*

<]=)

dude, why be such a tool? honestly.

JackAxe
Apr 11, 2007, 08:37 PM
An elitist drone, whom also frequents a gaming forum to speak their gaming mind, just called me a tool. Oh joy! Talk about calling the kettle black... :)

Go figure, I'll pay for cable, cell phones and so on, but when it comes to any gaming service, even WoW, I refuse to pay a subscription price. Gasp this!!! $7 is half a pound of Kenya coffee and I go through 2 pounds a month. Coffee is way more important to me than a pay-to-play service. The last thing I will ever do, is give a company that's already quite proficient at mediocricy, an excuse not to innovate.

I'm sure Nintendo would love to hear how to do things better, so why don't you browser tabs come up with a better "free" solution? Or would that require too much effort and time, time that you could be using to call the DS's online service stupidtastic?

<]=)