Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Hey folks!
I got a brandnew 15GB iPod a couple of weeks ago, and just as of today, I realised that it makes a weird clicking sound when moving it. I don't know if this has been like that before or if it's something new... it seems to be in the upper part of the iPod, just like there'd be a lose part somewhere inside. I'm experiencing this problem when "shaking" the iPod like this.
So, to all the other iPod users out there: Has anyone had the same problem? Is it a reason to return the iPod? I'm afraid there's something broken, though the iPod seems to function normally.
Any help is appreciated :)

TheT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Re: Re: Weird iPod sound (Hardware)

Originally posted by jimthorn
lol. Love the video. I haven't heard of this problem before. I thought there weren't any moving parts in current iPods..?

Here's a picture of a new iPod taken apart, courtesy of http://www.ipoding.com:

I talked with my local Apple dealer today, and he'll take a closer look at the iPod tomorrow or so... he said it could be the Harddrive, but I'm almost 100% sure that I never heard that sound before... any other 15gig users out there? It would help me a lot if you could just try it und post your results here... (yeah, I know, the video is great, but that way, at least everybody knows what I mean) :D

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
got a 30 gigger here, it does it for me too, it sounds like one of those panels on the inside is loose. it sounds way different from what i would expect a hard drive disk to sound like if it were loose. those things are much too heavy to be rattling like that i think.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
I've had this same problem with my original 5GB, touch 10GB and 3G 15GB. I wouldn't worry about it. I remeber reading somewhere on Apple's site that it does make a small sound saying that it is normal. It also says that although the iPod is made for vigorous activity it isn't meant to be shaken like that. Not that it said it would do damage I think they just amade that bit up to stop people complaining about it.

Hope that helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.