Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Is anyone using a fan less laptop cooler. I currently use my macbook on my lap in bed and it gets quite warm on the you know where. It is rather unpleasant for long term while its 56-57c degrees . Any suggestions ? I was about to purchase http://www.lapinator.com but hoping someone else has a better fan less solution.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Um. that might keep your "you know what" cooler, but it sure doesn't look like it would cool your notebook much. Looks more like an insulating pad.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Um. that might keep your "you know what" cooler, but it sure doesn't look like it would cool your notebook much. Looks more like an insulating pad.

Yea but the ones that do "cool" uses fans and will drain my batteries faster. I guess its a trade off for comfort or cooling. Are there cooling pads out there that really does its job? Also the coolers with fans i am afraid that an accident might happen using it on my lap.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Yea but the ones that do "cool" uses fans and will drain my batteries faster. I guess its a trade off for comfort or cooling. Are there cooling pads out there that really does its job? Also the coolers with fans i am afraid that an accident might happen using it on my lap.

Not all of them. Someone makes a metal something or other with built-in padding that's made for use on your lap. Still conductive cooling, but better through metal than through an insulating layer. http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

Then there's the icurve/elevator etc, though obviously those aren't made for lap use.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Not all of them. Someone makes a metal something or other with built-in padding that's made for use on your lap. Still conductive cooling, but better through metal than through an insulating layer. http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

Then there's the icurve/elevator etc, though obviously those aren't made for lap use.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went ahead and ordered http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/NBcooling/r15on01/r15on01.asp I will post a review once i receive it.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a

Because I use my 15" PowerBook and 15" MBP on my lap a lot, I looked around and did a lot of research on suitable methods of keeping things off my legs.

I looked at the "coolers" (flat panels with fans that run off USB power) as well as the lap "stands."

I ended up with one of RainDesign's iLap stands. After owning this for about 6 months, I can say without exception that I am very pleased with it. Not only does it do a good job of keeping my lap (and computer) cool, it does a great job of positioning things at what I consider the optimum viewing angle. The padded wrist rest works well at preventing fatigue, and the standoffs that the computer sits on allows for airflow underneath the machine, keeping it cool. Since the iLap sits up and away from your legs, even if the bottom was warm you wouldn't feel it.

While I was reluctant to part with almost $USD 50 for the iLap, after using it for a while I am satisfied that it was worth the money.

I was never keen about the panels with the fans that ran off USB power, as I figured they would be loud as well as scavenge my battery power should I not be working off the mains...

MD

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
It may not look as cool, but I use one of those Laptrays (they are a tray attached to a mini bean bag)

It has a flat surface to allow air to circulate underneath the laptop and just as importantly it keeps your "you know what" from smoldering or possibly bursting into flames :eek:

FJ:rolleyes:

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I use this to keep my MacBook Pro off my lap and I'm pretty satisfied with it. It didn't seem to make a significant difference in temperature though. One of the main reasons I bought it was because it allowed me to use my VX Revolution while I was on the road, so that's why I got that one.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
just go to ebay, get one of the coolers from there.

i got one with a usb hub, but i fried it when i tried connecting a/c power instead of usb power. whoops.

the fans are a little buzzy, but they do the job okay i guess. Antec also makes a good cooler, but it takes up a usb port. Or it could be connected through a/c power. No hub though.

for those aluminum "cooler" stands, unless your case is making metal to metal contact, conduction has no effect. Unless you took your rubber feet off, that's not going to happen. Its a gimmick. A stand with fans will be able to evacuate the warm air lingering around your laptop.

tngisaga

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006
San Jose, CA
Is the iLap portable? I would like it to take it with me on the road in my laptop bag. I currently use this
I'm not sure if the iLap will fit in the bag that you're using. It takes a lot of space when I put it in my laptop bag, but I don't usually take my iLap with me. Maybe if you take off the cushion and arrange it in your bag, it might fit with extra room to put other things in it.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I'm not sure if the iLap will fit in the bag that you're using. It takes a lot of space when I put it in my laptop bag, but I don't usually take my iLap with me. Maybe if you take off the cushion and arrange it in your bag, it might fit with extra room to put other things in it.

It looks very nice I will look into it more. I really want one that is also portable.
I am not sure how well the aluminum will work taking away the heat from the plastic speck case that I am also using. But I am still waiting on my iXoft, it sounds really promising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.