PDA

View Full Version : What kind of virus software do macs use?

Arkman_1411
Jun 16, 2003, 10:46 AM
Hi, I am just curious what kind of software the macs use to defend against viruses.

davrouk
Jun 16, 2003, 11:00 AM
MacOS X :D

Seriously, virex from McAfee is the only one i've heard of. but I haven't seen the need to use it. viruses on macs just aren't that common (except from office macro viruses - but I dont use office!)

Freg3000
Jun 16, 2003, 11:24 AM
The answer is none. :)

macguymike
Jun 16, 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Freg3000
The answer is none. :)

Bingo.

I've had macs since the LC (1987?) and have yet to get a virus on any of them.

That said, if you're a hyper paranoid sort, you can get the same virus utilities for Mac that you can get with Windows (Norton, Virex, etc.) but, really its a 99% chance that it would be a waste of your money.

Go buy something more useful. :D

MacBoyX
Jun 16, 2003, 11:34 AM
Ok ok enuff with the Jokes lol...

There are a few...Virex is one (comes with .Mac accts) and Norton Antivirus is the other.

While MacOS has been generally resilliant to viruses, the UNIX underpinnings make it a slight bit more susceptible.

More of a worry among Mac users is spreading a PC virus that had no affect on our machines to Windows/PC users.

I am sure there are more but they are the biggies!

MacBoyX

vwcruisn
Jun 16, 2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by MacBoyX
More of a worry among Mac users is spreading a PC virus that had no affect on our machines to Windows/PC users.

heh... i dont really worry about that too much :D

macguymike
Jun 16, 2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by vwcruisn
heh... i dont really worry about that too much :D

Heh. If a PC user doesn't have proper virus protection, I figure that's their own fault. :p :cool:

Huked on Fonick
Jun 17, 2003, 12:15 AM
none, who needs one

Flynnstone
Jun 17, 2003, 12:28 AM
I heard there is a total of 7 viruses or attacks to MacOS.

iJon
Jun 17, 2003, 12:30 AM
if you have to have it get .mac. best out there. comes with virus software and much much more.

iJon

unreg
Jun 17, 2003, 12:43 AM
1 virus attack since 1984. I use Virex because I have a mac.com account.

Marble
Jun 17, 2003, 01:23 AM
The only protection you really need on your computer are backups. Backups are a really good protective measure under any circumstance and reduce the chance of losing your peace of mind to viruses to a trivial level. I've never seen a virus that affects my or any other Macintosh.

Flickta
Jun 17, 2003, 02:51 AM
I had a tiresome week once. MBDEF-A or something infected my machine. I had no idea about Mac virii and thus had to reinstall the system several times... it refused to boot. Then, a Virex check fixed everything. Long live Virex!

niar
Jun 17, 2003, 07:41 AM
there is viruses out there for macs also..

At our service bureau there is enormous traffic of files, so we got infected couple of years ago with worms.. they came with MO disks. WormScanner helped.
I recall we had also second virus case with SevenDust involved.

That makes 2 cases in 10 years...

I don't remember if we were using system 7 or 8 back then.. anyway with OS9 there wasn't no more viruses.