Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azscp

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
Okay guys and gals, I'm going to kindly ask for assistance tonight.

First, I'll point out that I am a ********! That being said, the rest will make much more sense.

Sony just rolled out its latest line on Handycam's but it doesn't appear that they are Mac friendly. I noticed this after purchasing one and I think my statute of limitations (14 day return policy) has expired by a week or so.

The problem I have is getting the images/video off the HDD of the Handycam and onto my computer. I can get the video's off but they won't play in iMovie or Quicktime (both are lacking the audio).

I can however use a conversion program to convert to mpeg-4? and then play them in quicktime but this seems like a hassle and it means that for EVERY video, I'll have to convert them one-by-one.

Any help would be great. And what HDD video cameras are Mac friendly?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
On Sony's website for that model [ http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...rders&ProductSKU=DCRSR200&TabName=specs&var2= ], under the Specifications tab, if you scroll down to the Software section there's a Javascript link titled: "Click here for information on digital video software designed to work with Macs."

Seems you'll need to purchase additional software for editing the footage on a Mac - Sony is notorious for selling products that need proprietary software to work properly.

That said, this is a consumer hard drive camcorder recording in a highly compressed MPEG format ... and MPEG formats weren't really design for editing. Of course, with the avalanche of consumer products that now record in those formats, software vendors have developed products to do just that.

One thing you may want to try is MPEG Streamclip. It might be able to demux and convert the footage into a more edit-friendly format.

-DH

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Hi,

Help has arrived . All u have to do is buy a BELKIN Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac mini Model F5U507 form "New Egg" it seem like u r able to convert usb to firewire viva firewire.

Web page is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314028

No, it doesn't convert. It merely houses a USB hub and a Firewire hub in a single unit - no conversion takes place. If you input a USB and a Firewire device to the unit and expect to get either signal (or both) to you computer, you have to connect both a USB and a Firewire cable to your computer. If you only connect via USB, the Firewire input signal won't go to the computer.

-DH

haizi23

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2007
california
open source conversion software

Hi,

I own the same camera (a recent present from the in-laws), and in my limited experience, the ffmpegX conversion software, available at http://www.ffmpegx.com, has worked well to convert those mpeg-4's to a more usable file format (i've gone to DV). I haven't done a ton of comparison to see how the conversion quality is, so I'd advise you to experiment a bit and see what works best, but you can at least get your video in a usable state that way.

Cheers,
Will

camperview

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2007
DCR-SR200 import to new IMAC

The new IMOVIE, version 7.1 will import movie clips directly from a Sony DCR-SR200 through the USB cable without any special devices or software. You have the choice of editing the clips in IMOVIE or save them as is. The clips are saved as .m4v, which then be imported to IMOVIE HD and edited even further.

kfb

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
The new IMOVIE, version 7.1 will import movie clips directly from a Sony DCR-SR200 through the USB cable without any special devices or software. You have the choice of editing the clips in IMOVIE or save them as is. The clips are saved as .m4v, which then be imported to IMOVIE HD and edited even further.

I have iMovie 7.1 and it doesn't work with my DCR-SR200 through USB. The files have MPG extension, not the m4v extension suggested above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.