Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonutarr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
OZ
just interested in what people would like to see improved, added or removed in the new iWeb release

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
1 - File optimization for redundant graphics (currently the nav graphics are duplicated for each page)

2 - The ability to setup your own ftp connection as opposed to publish to folder than upload

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
1 - File optimization for redundant graphics (currently the nav graphics are duplicated for each page)

2 - The ability to setup your own ftp connection as opposed to publish to folder than upload
Plus...

3) Favicon support

4) The ability to give pages a different <title> than what appears in the navigation menu.

5) The ability to set 'tab stops' in text boxes (or other ways of aligning text which are currently lacking).

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003

I very much Doubt they would do that, why would they make it easy for you to upload to any site if they really want you to buy .Mac!

Ajax and a lot of it would be quite cool

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
I very much Doubt they would do that, why would they make it easy for you to upload to any site if they really want you to buy .Mac!

Ajax and a lot of it would be quite cool

True true but I can dream.

Another wish would be support for some limited CSS in order to lighten the code.

Apple Architect

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
United Kingdom
A dream list

How about the following.

1. Ability to watermark images
2. Ability to downsize images - select the resolution of the image
3. Support for comments and trackbacks when not using .Mac
4. Native support for HTML code
5. Ability to change template designs (both ones already used and the ability to create your own)
6. Better code optimization. The code at present is a mess.
7. Support for providing image tag details.

www.xposedimage.com

just interested in what people would like to see improved, added or removed in the new iWeb release

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
1. Access to edit the HTML code (inserting external banners etc.)
2. Ability to more easily link to external files (So I can link to my external video server)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
right now you have to publish all of your sites or none. i want to work on a site without having to publish it and at the same time being able to modify existing pages and publish only those.

more image compression options to save disk space and upload time

more templates

include iweb enhancer like function

simpler website names that do not reveal your apple account name

make it generally faster and the code cleaner

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
right now you have to publish all of your sites or none. i want to work on a site without having to publish it and at the same time being able to modify existing pages and publish only those.

You can(or at least if you're using .mac). Just highlight the specific page and go to publish to .mac.

If you want to publish all, click on publish all to .mac.

Oh, and I'd take more templates for sure!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Less Hatred (in iWeb) towards third party FTP upload, there is no way I'm buying .Mac, it's rubbish.

Export just the changed files to a folder, I don't want to export my holiday snaps page EVERY SINGLE TIME which takes ages even on a MB Core Duo.

Customisable templates.

Html Support, might be nice too.

Image resize would also be good, there are too many 300kb images on my website, otherwise the html isn't bad, it's not as good as writing it by hand, but it doesn't matter, the html files are a LOT smaller than the images.

Also stop using images for links at the top, AFAIK you can achieve the effect with html, and it loads the navigation links first not last.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Beyond what others have posted it would be nice to have some better layout tools along the lines of what Rapidweaver offers. Mouse-overs, html, etc.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
There are some great ideas mentioned so far... all things I'd really like.

For me:

1. FTP Support
2. HTML editing (ok, perhaps this isn't user friendly... but have HTML 'boxes' in which you enter custom HTML).
3. Image resize
4. Image alt tags
5. Only republish changed files
6. The ability to group images/shapes.
7. SPLIT Sites! So annoying that you export every site when you click Publish to folder...

Per chance to dream:

1. A bit of Flash content
2. Ajax
3. Live update... as in, when I write a new blog, it auto updates rather than going through the whole process of exporting and uploading.
4. The ability to upload the blog online/via email/via anything other than export/upload everytime
5. Whole platform opened up to make it easier for 3rd party plug ins.

Things I don't think will happen:

1. Full HTML editing... not User friendly/not iWeb's market
2. Ability to change templates

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Per chance to dream:

1. A bit of Flash content

please no Flash!

fortunately being able to make flash websites would certainly involve licence fees that apple would have to pay. so flash in iweb is unlikely.

Rant (if you like flash stop reading here): flash is a useless, slow, buggy, memory wasting monster that only provides for some effects without any use. i haven't even installed flash on my firefox and most sites work without flash just fine. you just don't see some useless graphics.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Two things really:

1) Much better image optimisation. Plus the ability to select the compression options of each individual image. At the moment if I create anything in iWeb, I have to re-compress all the images in Photoshop.

2) More themes

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Live update... as in, when I write a new blog, it auto updates rather than going through the whole process of exporting and uploading.
4. The ability to upload the blog online/via email/via anything other than export/upload everytime

I'd love to see this as well. It would be great to be able to blog from my iPhone.

Angsty

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I'd like the ability to manage different, independent sites and upload them as totally separate entities - to different servers as required.

I would also like the ability to switch to a HTML view of the page and CLEAN up some of that fat and bloated code (sheesh - I used to mock Frontpage for the bloated code it generated!)

I would also like to use relative references for my page layout so that it reasizes to the user's window. (I don't like the LH and RH side blank space on my pages!!)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
fortunately being able to make flash websites would certainly involve licence fees that apple would have to pay. so flash in iweb is unlikely.

You can already export Flash from Keynote and drag it into iWeb pages. It works fine, unless you happen to be one of those Flash-haters. :p

A template editor, desperately needed. Even template capture (similar to Pages) would be welcome.

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
I want to be able to edit my code.

I want it to produce cleaner code, come on, I know apple can do that...

I want it to be Dynamic, at an online interface, add a database to dotmac, would it really be that hard, and I'm sure it would save bandwidth.

I want FTP

I want a CSS layout and Design, come on apple, standards.

I want apple to build a pro application for Web Designers, a suite even. I mean come on, this is a real need, bring the power that was brought to the film industry by final cut to the web world, coding environments, multi browser engine previewing, code snippets, File Organization and optimization, Content Management System (helloooooo they have WebObjects, think of what kind of point and click online apps they could let us build.

just my $0.02

Apple Architect

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
United Kingdom
So let me sum up here.....

There, we have it. The list of items that should be included in iWeb 07/Leopard

Code items

1. Edit my code.
2. Produce cleaner code/Code optimisation
3. More Dynamic
4. Database backend
6. CSS layout and Design, standards.
7. Favicon support
8. Comments
9. Page counters outside of .Mac

Input Output

1. Better file naming
2. FTP
3. ability to manage different, independent sites and upload them as totally separate entities
4. HMTL View of the page
5. Only republish changed files
6. Live update (from mobile devices)

Layout

1. Use of HTML for navigation rather than images
2. Relative page dimensions
3. More templates/Themes
4. group images/shapes
5. Better tools for layout (alignment etc)

1. Better image optimisation (compression/types)
2. Image resize
3. Image alt tags
4. Ability to watermark images

Third Party Items

1. Some Flash ability
2. Whole platform opened up to make it easier for 3rd party plug ins

I actually don't think this is very much but having used the application now for however long it has been out I guess that these changes would be very useful. The final thing that I would add. Make it quicker. The app at present is too slow, although i guess the outputing of just the changes would be a good step forward in speeding the app up.

Finally, Provide a pro application for Web Designers, a suite even, in the same way as aperture and iPhoto compliment each other for different target markets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.