Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I got an official second chance offer on ebay for a CD MBP for about $1,390 shipped, specs are as follows: 15" MBP 2.0GHZ CD / 512MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM / RadeonX1600 128MB

I can't remember the price for the refurb version of that laptop, so I'm not sure if it's worth that price.

Thanks.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I would say that's a pretty good deal for $1400. If the graphics card and screen aren't important, though, I would just get a MacBook instead, though.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I would say that's a pretty good deal for $1400. If the graphics card and screen aren't important, though, I would just get a MacBook instead, though.

I just digggg the casing/keyboard of the entire PB/MBP line up. But it's a core duo so I'm not sure if it's worth $1,400.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I won't pay so much for it. I believe the more recent C2D refurbs (2.16ghz) can be had for $1599.

It is 200 bucks more, but let's see what you get for the money:
  1. .16ghz more
  2. 512mb more of ram
  3. greater peace of mind (it is afterall, ebay)
  4. bigger hard drive
  5. the refurb is as good as *new*, the eBay machine is preowned
  6. the refurb has full warranty
  7. last but not least you get the revised heat vent design

I also don't trust 2nd chance offers on principle. Very often they are hijacked accounts and the scammer is just trying to ring up as many people as possible before someone in ebay gets wind of it.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Well, since the Core Duo isn't 64 bit, you probably won't be able to run Final Cut Studio 6, or other pro apps down the line. I guess it's about a draw because I don't think it's that much slower than a Core 2 Duo. Plus, the graphics card is significantly better.

Buy.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
The stock CD MacBook Pro refurb costs $1300, I saw that they had some on Tuesday, so next Tuesday they will probably have them again. I would buy the refurb over the preowned ebay MacBook Pro that costs about $100 more.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I'd really stick with the C2D. Merom was a significant advance from Yonah, not to mention the other improvements on the models (double layer, better heat dissipation, larger hard drive, etc.).

netguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2007
Another vote for C2D off the refurb site.

You know what you are getting. I was in the same boat as you, and am super happy I stuck with the Core2Duo. I should have got the 2.33, but stuck with the 2.16 C2D. It always goes to show, get the most you can..

pufftissue

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
I have had bad luck with refurbs.

one had the backlit keyboard fail to work as well as a distorted speaker.

the other was completely and grossly used. yeah, it worked, but it was used even by the most lax of standards. the screen had dirt stuck underneath it, the magsafe contact was completely corroded, and you could tell that coffee had been spilled on it (really). (apple took it back , no restocking fee).

So I've been trying to get this remedied.

That said, I did get the 09c56 screen on my refurb macbooks which to me are more desirable than the 09c60 screens that are on the core 2 duo ones.

FWIW, I have had 2 refurb ipods and I could not tell the difference b/w brand spanking new and refurbs. They were that new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.