PDA

View Full Version : LG debuts "ebook" concept laptop with OLED screen, liquid fuel

4np
Apr 12, 2007, 09:28 AM
It's a bit 'old' news as it is from december 2006; but I don't think I have seen it here yet; it looks very cool though. OLED screens in the MacBook Pro's then? ;)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/12/lg_e_book2.jpg
As much as we like to write about the play-by-play of gadgetry innovation, it's a sad truth that some devices, like laptops, really haven't changed much since their debut in the 1980s. LCDs, a mainstay of all laptops since that period, are one of the most delicate and expensive pieces of hardware in the whole design. But what if you could replace LCDs with OLEDs (organic light-emitting diodes), which apparently don't need a bezel, and consume less electricity? LG has just built such a concept machine, calling it the "ebook" (apparently no one told them about other eBooks?), which is powered by an awesome bubbly blue methyl alcohol fuel instead of a regular (read: boring) lithium-ion battery. The ebook has just won a "best of the best" Red Dot Award, a German prize for industrial design, and we're already drooling over its astonishing look and potentially awesome capabilities -- we want one, like, yesterday. Ok, LG, if you can't debut this product within a year, at least see if you can strike a deal to get some product placement in the next James Bond film, so we can see it in action, dig?
http://photo.hankooki.com/newsphoto/2006/11/23/kt2200611232004060lg.jpg

source: http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/02/lg-debuts-ebook-concept-laptop-with-oled-screen-liquid-fuel/

Scarlet Fever
Apr 12, 2007, 09:36 AM
wonder how long the battery life is?

if thats what people can do with an LED display, i can't wait to see the next MacBook/Pros!

Abstract
Apr 12, 2007, 09:39 AM
Beautiful laptop. Wow.

I LOVE the bezel-less screen. :eek:

@Scarlet_Fever: That's an OLED display, not an LCD with an LED backlight, which is what some people expect to be in the MBP (although who knows, really).

enda1
Apr 12, 2007, 09:42 AM
Ridiculus looking hinge though me thinks. What a load of excess space.

miniConvert
Apr 12, 2007, 09:45 AM
Fricking cool.

I think the next generation of laptop technologies are going to be really exciting - laptops aren't just about having a small PC anymore, they're a beast all of their own.

SSD's, LED backlighting, fuel cells and Intel's ongoing focus on the laptop space should make for some happy faces over the next few years :)

Scarlet Fever
Apr 12, 2007, 09:45 AM
@Scarlet_Fever: That's an OLED display, not an LCD with an LED backlight, which is what some people expect to be in the MBP (although who knows, really).

ah yes.. of course... my comprehension skills take a fall at 1:00 am :rolleyes:

Max Payne
Apr 12, 2007, 09:48 AM
Is this a concept?

There is no way (or so I believe) a dvd drive, processor and fan can fit in the thin laptop. Even the MacBook Pro heats. Except if the pictures are misleading and the ebook is fatter than it seems.

Scarlet Fever
Apr 12, 2007, 09:50 AM
Is this a concept?

There is no way (or so I believe) a dvd drive, processor and fan can fit in the thin laptop. Even the MacBook Pro heats. Except if the pictures are misleading and the ebook is fatter than it seems.

i would say it doesnt have an optical drive, and it has a ULV (ultra low voltage) chip in it to keep heat down.

that said... where the hell are any ports?

calculus
Apr 12, 2007, 09:54 AM

It looks to me like that's a handle for carrying it.

dsnort
Apr 12, 2007, 09:56 AM

If you look closely, the hinge houses the fuel cell.

I wonder what kind of mileage it gets?

enda1
Apr 12, 2007, 09:58 AM
It looks to me like that's a handle for carrying it.

They might aswell strap a pair of wheels onto it too and a leash and you could drag it around. Plus its a silly shappe so wont fit in a normal type sleeve.

Just like most concept cars id say. Not even going to be close to looking like what a production version would.

a456
Apr 12, 2007, 10:07 AM
I'll take one of these with multi-touch, Leopard and all the trimmings. How much do I need to extend the mortgage by?

Don't panic
Apr 12, 2007, 10:46 AM
I'll take one of these with multi-touch, Leopard and all the trimmings. How much do I need to extend the mortgage by?

well, considering that the 'keyboard' is an OLED monitor too, these has 'multitouch' written all-over it.
you could up-load a book, read it upright, and turn the 'pages'.

m-dogg
Apr 12, 2007, 11:37 AM
Plus its a silly shappe so wont fit in a normal type sleeve.

You have an interesting approach to choosing a laptop. I've never thought to pick a sleeve and then find a laptop thatfits it best. Silly me - I've always focused on the laptop itself! :rolleyes:

I think this looks awesome though - I'd love to see something like this down the road!

iSee
Apr 12, 2007, 12:20 PM

YES! My thought exactly :D
I really like the concept of this "notebook."

SpaceMagic
Apr 12, 2007, 12:57 PM
I want. Now.

dopey220
Apr 12, 2007, 01:29 PM
Oh man. That's so cool.

juanster
Apr 12, 2007, 01:33 PM
it looks craaaaaazyyy cool... i wnat it..

bartelby
Apr 12, 2007, 01:38 PM
That's pretty nice, LG seem to have got their design act together.

johnee
Apr 12, 2007, 01:43 PM
finally, an innovative laptop design. Hopefully it won't be 5+ years to see something like this be affordable.

&RU
Apr 12, 2007, 06:24 PM
This thing will never make it to market, because there is nowhere to stick those big ugly "Centrino" and "Windows" badges.

But if it was a mac...

Dagless
Apr 12, 2007, 07:12 PM
Finally a laptop that can visually compete with the 12" PowerBook. That machine really looks stunning.

I had a dream about a futuristic looking laptop. It's quite similar to that and in theory can work with today's tech... now to go about setting up my own company :p

sikkinixx
Apr 12, 2007, 07:24 PM
*ahem*

Gimmie.

Killyp
Apr 12, 2007, 07:32 PM
Me no like. look back on it in 5 years time and i'll look dreadful.

Abstract
Apr 12, 2007, 08:01 PM
You have an interesting approach to choosing a laptop. I've never thought to pick a sleeve and then find a laptop thatfits it best. Silly me - I've always focused on the laptop itself! :rolleyes:

I think this looks awesome though - I'd love to see something like this down the road!

I bought a laptop sleeve in 1968 that sort of has that shape. Now.......my time has come.

mattscott306
Apr 12, 2007, 08:16 PM
Thats a great looking little notebook. I wonder if it will ever really be picked up by a major distributor.

GoCubsGo
Apr 12, 2007, 08:33 PM
Wow that is just lovely! I really want one myself!

AoWolf
Apr 12, 2007, 10:13 PM
I really really like the concept but it must cost a ton! Like others have said OLED and alternate power sources are going to revolutionize the laptop world.

Abstract
Apr 13, 2007, 09:56 AM
Revolutionize?

We're still stuck with the basic screen and keyboard folding laptop configuration. I think the only way to revolutionize the laptop is when foldable or rollable screens make it to laptops. Sure, we'll still be using the keyboard (which I don't mind), but it'll be different enough to change the laptop we all know and love entirely.

notjustjay
Apr 13, 2007, 10:41 AM
You have an interesting approach to choosing a laptop. I've never thought to pick a sleeve and then find a laptop thatfits it best. Silly me - I've always focused on the laptop itself!

Funnily enough, this is what happened to me, but not intentionally. A few years ago I bought a compact Dell laptop, and shortly afterward a neoprene case that I thought would fit. Sadly, I grossly misjudged -- the laptop was too big to fit in by about an inch on all sides.

It was with great joy a few years later when I found out it was a PERFECT fit for my 12" PowerBook...

But yes, I want one of those LG machines too. Wow.

b0tt094
Apr 13, 2007, 01:58 PM
it sounds like it runs off of rubbing alcohol.... I can already guess the next one

The laptop that can drink BEER... Now that would be cool to see :p

But all things aside Cool design, nice book

dmw007
Apr 13, 2007, 04:08 PM
That is one awesome laptop! :eek:

killr_b
Apr 13, 2007, 04:19 PM
Sweet, but how much is it? Or, how much will it be?

It is a shockingly cool design. I wonder what the apple version will look like? :eek:

Antares
Apr 13, 2007, 05:18 PM
It's a concept. Did the article about it even mention anything about it being functional? If not, it may even be just a plastic mock-up. That being said, I love the design. It looks totally cool. If :apple: made it, I would buy it in an instant.....

Rodimus Prime
Apr 14, 2007, 01:18 AM
wonder how long the battery life is?

if thats what people can do with an LED display, i can't wait to see the next MacBook/Pros!

well it is a combustion base power source. I remember reading about the liquid fuel technology about 4 years ago when it was still in played with. The biggest problem with electronic toys now is things are getting faster and faster but battery power and storage has not changed that much and has been a linear progression compared to the exponential progression of everything else computer related. Now they where saying if they could get a combustion powersource for the laptop at 10% efficiency it would be betting out battery power source in both size and weight. it would take up less space for fuel and ti would weight less and to top it off it would last longer and supply more power. And that was at 10% now if they could get that to 20% it would be doing great. I do not see them ever really crossing 20% though I guessing the theoretical max would be around 30%. Our cars run at less than 50% of the power from the fuel even makes it out of the engine and that not counting the losses everywhere else. The max a car engine could do is about 60% efficiency

iBookG4user
Apr 14, 2007, 01:29 AM
That looks like a really nice laptop, I don't like the handle in the hinge though, I for one use a laptop bag so I don't have to carry my laptop around. I do like the design of it though, the only other thing I don't like about the design is that there is too much black when it's opened up. I also think that the keyboard would take a lot of getting used to, it'd probably decrease my typing speed by a lot in the beginning. But it should have a long battery life with the OLED screen and the new battery which would be nice. Overall I think the laptop is pretty nice and has a lot of cool features, I won't be getting it though.