PDA

View Full Version : AppleCare Repair Status

SoonToGetAMac
Jun 16, 2003, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct category, but: I dropped my broken iBook off at an Apple Store on Friday, and I have been tracking its status ever since. At first, the AppleCare website said "Waiting for Box," and it now says "Dispatch Sent." What are the spets that the computer goes through, and when do you think I'll have it back?

Mblazened
Jun 16, 2003, 10:54 PM
next comes "unit received." then "unit repaired and shipped from service center"

out of curiosity, what was wrong with it?

Eniregnat
Jun 16, 2003, 11:36 PM
You will likely be supprised at how fast the problem is solved.

My best return time:
Day one
call- morning
Airborn dropps off box at 2.
Airborn picks up box at 3
Arives in Texas

Day 2
Repaired in Texas

Day 3
Unit returns before 10 AM

I even got a new LCD with no dead pixles and that wasn't a specific problems that I needed fixed.

SoonToGetAMac
Jun 16, 2003, 11:44 PM
I sent in the laptop this time because it wouldn't boot away from the wall power. Also, there was a popping noise from under the 'g' and 'h' keys, and the computer would randomly emit a tone for like 3-5 seconds, and the latch doesn't usually catch. Also, a few weeks after I got the computer in Feb. 2003, I just got a black screen when booting, although I could hear the hard drive spin up. All of these problems have made my next computer purchased likely to be a Windows machine. I love the Apple when it works, but all of these problems are very bad. I am also concerned that they won't fix anything snice there is no way to cause these problems to happen except for the not booting one, since they just happen randomly.

EDIT: I dropped the iBook off Friday morning in Palo Alto, and they told me they don't enter in the request for service that I fill out until right before closing time that night.:mad:

Eniregnat
Jun 16, 2003, 11:52 PM
I am hard on my laptops.
I have burned through over 10 laptops.
The only portable machines that have survived my abuse are my iBook (3 years and counting), a Z80 based QuickPadPro, 1 SwissTech 286, and my Apple eMate. Note that 3 of the machines have no moving parts and all are not WinTel machienes. The latter three I use when I travle.

It reads to me as though you got a lemon. It happens. I won’t try to sway you one way or the other, but you might try using your Apple for a while before you swear off all of Apple’s products.

I hope it goes well.

SoonToGetAMac
Jun 16, 2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Eniregnat

It reads to me as though you got a lemon. It happens. I won’t try to sway you one way or the other, but you might try using your Apple for a while before you swear off all of Apple’s products.

I hope it goes well.

Yeah, I am considering the lemon idea. Hopefully the computer gets fixed. Luckily, here in CA, the warranty laws are really good. I get however many days the computer was possessed by Apple added onto the end of the warranty, and some other cool stuff. It's on the back of all the AppleCare service agreements, if you want to take a look.

alset
Jun 17, 2003, 12:26 AM
On the page that tracks your iBook you can click the status to see all the steps in a list.

Dan

SoonToGetAMac
Jun 17, 2003, 09:29 AM
Umm...it's now the beginning of the third buisness day, and it still says "Dispatch Sent." Apparantly, this means the computer has been shipping for up to 4 "real" days. Doesn't Apple overnight repairs? Could the iBOok have gotten lost in the mail? Sorry about all these questions, but I actually need the iBook next week, so I hope it comes back in time.

MacBoyX
Jun 17, 2003, 11:28 AM
Soon,

Call Apple. Tell them what's going on. I had an iBook that sat at CompUSA for over a week. I called Apple and it was handled by them the same day.

Also you don't need to involve the Apple Store, you can have it ticketed at the Apple store and then have Apple ship the box to you and pick it up too. This cuts out the fact that someone might not have sent it back yet.

Also don't give up on Apple just yet. I can tell you some MAJOR horror stories about my HP Pavillion laptops...yes laptops even tho I only paid for one, and my BAAAAAD luck with IBM Thinkpads.

At least Apple has always fixed and replaced my equipment and done so in a very timely manner.

I always ask this question...should I be mad something went wrong or happy it gets fixed good as new?

Also, if you are unhappy with how long it took or service you received, don't hesitate to contact Apple Customer Service, they are very interested in correcting the situation and making notes of it. I even got a free laptop bag out of a TYPO that was made in my Serial number.

Apple isn't very interested in customer service

And remember out of 39,000 Consumer Reports users polled Apple had the fewest defects of PC Makers and the number one Tech Support. Don't let a bad iBook get you down, get it repaired and keep the faith.

MacboyX

SoonToGetAMac
Jun 19, 2003, 08:57 AM
It's one day short of a full week, and the AppleCare site still says "Unit Recieved" as the most recent status. Is someting up with the way Apple is treating me, since most people seem to have good experiances with AppleCare?

gopher
Jun 19, 2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by SoonToGetAMac
It's one day short of a full week, and the AppleCare site still says "Unit Recieved" as the most recent status. Is someting up with the way Apple is treating me, since most people seem to have good experiances with AppleCare?

It varies. I've seen anywhere between 36 hours and one week turnaround. Still much better than the competition. And frequently they repair what doesn't need repairing too other than for aesthetic reasons. I had a keyboard replaced as the key's type was actually fading. Yet I didn't ask for it to be replaced. That was really nice of them.

Kwyjibo
Jun 19, 2003, 09:31 AM
Ok i've sent my ibook in liek 4 times

longest approx 2 weeks because of holidays (xmas and newyears) ...the key to getting apple to hurry up is frequent phone calls.

fastest

airborne picked up at 9pm tuesday
apple repairs on wednesday
home at 10:30 am thursday, i was happy :)