PDA

View Full Version : The Game Gear thread

iBookG4user
Apr 13, 2007, 12:49 AM
I rediscovered my Game Gear and it still works great after many years :). And Sonic Chaos is still as addictive as ever. I thought that this would make a great thread because there must be other Game Gear users on a forum as big as this one. Here's a couple pics of my Game Gear, two comparing it to it's younger sibling the PSP and yes I'm playing the Game Gear more right now :p.

sonarghost
Apr 13, 2007, 05:34 AM
WOW, thanks for the pics! It sure brings back alot of memories...The games looked so great and, IMO, blew the gameboy out of the water. Makes me wish I kept mine (and the Nomad-Sega Genesis Portable handheld)

beige matchbox
Apr 13, 2007, 07:01 AM
Still got mine :cool:

Need to replace the power socket though, wore mine out always playing off the mains. Damn battery life :eek:

bowens
Apr 13, 2007, 07:09 AM
I always wanted a game gear but never got one. I have thought about buying one off of eBay but I have a DSLite now so I would really never use that. I'd still rather have a Game Gear than a PSP, though.

Markleshark
Apr 13, 2007, 07:12 AM
Strange timing, found mine the other day.

I thought the PSP was big... Nice. :D

Apr 13, 2007, 08:17 AM
I used to have one, but the backlight stopped working. I thought it was a lot better than the Game Boy, but it was the power consumption that was its downfall. Is there a Game Gear emulator for the Mac?

I did love the TV adaptor.

Sky Blue
Apr 13, 2007, 08:34 AM
I loved my Game gear, sold it on Ebay a couple years back for a bundle. The Master System player was awesome.

zero2dash
Apr 13, 2007, 09:19 AM
The games looked so great and, IMO, blew the gameboy out of the water.

Fast moving games made the screen blur and it sucked up batteries like nobody's business.

Better than the Game Boy? Sacriledge! :p
In the time you could run on 1 set of AA batteries in the Game Boy, you'd go through at least 3 swaps of fresh AAs in the Game Gear.

But Shinobi on the GG was awesome. ;)

joepunk
Apr 13, 2007, 09:28 AM
Still have mine :D

iBookG4user
Apr 13, 2007, 10:04 AM
I found my other 4 games for my Game Gear this morning :). I found Formula One, Taz-Mania, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and Aladdin.

SpankyPenzaanz
Apr 13, 2007, 10:20 AM
I bought mine just for joemontana football back then

on a side note possibly the greatest football franchise

Markleshark
Apr 13, 2007, 10:23 AM
WOW, thanks for the pics! It sure brings back alot of memories...The games looked so great and, IMO, blew the gameboy out of the water. Makes me wish I kept mine (and the Nomad-Sega Genesis Portable handheld)

Psssshhhh, Don't want to be saying anything about the Game Boy in a Game Gear thread, we'll be in the 'Console War' thread before we know it.

mrgreen4242
Apr 13, 2007, 12:05 PM
GG was a really great system, but as everyone mentions it's battery life was awful. There was this game, which I am going to have to find and emulate now that I'm thinking about, that sucked up about 2 straight weeks of my early teens. An RPG with Oasis in the title... Defenders of the Oasis? Sounds right. Anyways, if you have a GG and like RPGs try to dig that one up.

Sdashiki
Apr 13, 2007, 01:04 PM
the only thing good about it was color.

you still cant really see much in glare, and the batteries run out in about 3 seconds.

Cameront9
Apr 13, 2007, 01:18 PM
When I was a kid I stupidly sold my GameBoy in order to secure funds to purchase a game gear. What a mistake. Missed a lot of Great Gameboy games for that.

Anyway, I had: Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Star Wars: RotJ, and Mega Man.

Mega Man probably saw the most play, though I enjoyed the sonic games as well. Star Wars was fun, too.

But that was it, and by the time I got the system, the Game Gear was going the way of the Dodo.

After that, I realized I would NEVER sell hardware or software again. Because you will always regret it.

I still have the GG and pull it out every now and then. However, I've been so spoiled by the DS lite screen that playing games on the terrible, blurry, washed out screen is a pain and not worth it...

rockthecasbah
Apr 13, 2007, 01:40 PM
I remember seeing the Game Gear for the first time in a K-Mart. I was really young and didn't know much about games, my family's first game system was being bought that day (Sega Genesis), i had wandered over to the glass case and saw one in with a demo game on it... it was amazing. I'd never seen graphics like that on a portable... then i saw the pricetag and my brother told me it sucked with the battery so i forgot about it :p

sikkinixx
Apr 13, 2007, 01:41 PM
My broke years ago :(

I always wanted the Sega Nomad though, remember that? You could play genesis carts on the go? Damn I wish I had one of them...

Dagless
Apr 13, 2007, 02:50 PM
I might be buying one of these soon :) friend of mine has had one locked away for a decade. Got a bucket load of games too, almost literally! Mortal Kombat, all the Sonics, Afterburner, blah blah...

Give me one over a PSP any day.

Chances are I'll be saying "give me a PSP any day" in a decade too :D

steelfist
Apr 15, 2007, 02:00 AM
it was great! i had one too. it was my first portable gaming device that i had, and it was even in color and has backlight! man it was quite good, even though the battery life was terrible even with so many AA batteries inside of it. Sonic was my favorite game for it.

sure brings back great memories when i was still in elementary school :)