Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacMinute reports that WWDC's Keynote will be broadcast by Satellite. The keynote begins at 10am PST.

Coordinates:
Ku-band Analog
Telstar 5/Transponder: 25 K
Orbital Slot: 97 degrees west
Uplink Frequency: 14444 MHz
Downlink Frequency: 12144 MHz
Polarity: Vertical down
Audio subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8

C-band Analog
Galaxy 3C/Transponder 3C
Orbital Slot: 95 degrees west
Uplink Frequency: 5985 MHz
Downlink Frequency: 3760 MHz
Polarity: Horizontal down
Audio subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8

HashPipeK

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2002
Iowa
I will be tuning in the campus sat dishes to watch this puppy heh. Its nice having access to master control mwahaha

yossele

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2003
Bobov
Last time the satelite was on the web as well, i think nbc or something that came up the last minute, no worries there will probably be a webcast.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
This is the exact same thing that happened with the launch of the Music Store. There probably will be a crappy life stream from MSNBC or something, with an Apple stream afterwards. :(

At least we'll have something.

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
Don't worry

If there event is broadcast via satellite, there will usually be webcast too.

Philippe

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
No webcast but what about Europe

I read somewhere that they won't be a webcast.

However I am sure it can be seen in Europe.
The Germain techies will be seeing it by satellite.
We need the the European satellite details.

Phil

marazanvose

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2003
No DirecTV

Sorry, you can't see the keynote with DirecTV dishes, you have to have one of those big dishes.

nawk

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Re: WWDC's Keynote to be Broadcast via Satellite

OK,

Anyone going to be showing the broadcast in Vancouver, BC. I'll bring the coffee and some Timbits :)

Serioiusly .. perhaps if there is enough interest amoung Mac Heads we could split the costs of renting a small facility to watch.

Ten bucks a piece for Steve's show, a double-double and a Maple Dip.

Its not like you are going to be working .. your just going to be MADLY clicking refresh on your brower window all Monday morning. Just take the morning off :)

Email if you are interested!

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
UK U HELP?

I have SKY Digital through Digital Satellite here in the UK - can I pick this up any way?

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
I doubt it, is that like a TV service or what? If not you might.

I hope there's a webcast, but either way I won't be there to find out. So I am hoping there's a stream afterwards.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: UK U HELP?

Originally posted by gotohamish
I have SKY Digital through Digital Satellite here in the UK - can I pick this up any way?

Folks, "Digital" satellite subscribers (myself included) will NOT be receiving this (barring unannounced rebroadcasts). Digital satellite TV works on a single-satellite system (ie, your dish is always pointed to one satellite ... yes, there is more than one satellite up there but you can't just point your dish at any arbitrary satellite position and expect to get anything) and only with compressed digital streams.

This is being broadcast on the older analog satellite system. That's those big 6-foot-wide (2m for the rest of you) dishes you see in some peoples' back yards and on the top of buildings. This is 100% incompatible with all digital satellite equipment.

The following services are a quick sample of digital services that will not be seeing the keynote (unless MSNBC or CNN or someone decides to broadcast it):

DirecTV
Dish Networks
SKY Digital
Any Digital or Analog Cable
Over-The-Air Antenna

If you have any of these, this article does not apply to you. If you don't have a honkin' huge white round thing in your yard or caving in your roof, this does not apply to you.

End Public Service Announcement.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Hmmmm....

for those millions of Directv (what i have), Echostar subscribers, and even cable households, wouldnt it be great if the speech was covered in full, live on TechTV? MSNBC and CNN would breakaway to other news and make it shorter.

I seem to remember in years past some keynotes being covered live by TechTV, but none from the WWDC.

Anybody have any contacts there to ask about this?

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
come on, someone needs to webcast it fromt he satelite stream, or broadcast it on TV would be better, I could watch 36" keynote :) ahh that would be nice...

maybe we should all e-mail someone at MSNBC to get them to do it again... but this time in quicktime format :D

JohnHummel

macrumors member
May 22, 2003
I'm in San Diego

So just to clarify - they're still planning on showing the broadcast at the Apple Stores, correct? I have to know so I can see how badly my wife will kill me if I pick up a 970 Powerbook right then. (Hm - I guess as long as I can put the old one on eBay, maybe I won't get <i>to</i> dead....)

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Why not a webcast??

Why wouldn't Apple want to webcast this? :confused:
They've been hyping this show. They must know we want to
see Panther/New Hardware...

Am I missing the bigger picture?

liudger

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
On the last apple happening (itunes4) there was a good broadcast on internet. It took me 5 minutes to find it:) So don't worry. There will be a broadcast for this bigger hapening too. Just have a good look around and you wil surely find a stream. There is a german site http://www.mac-tv.de/ that will broadcast it. But it's asking a small fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.