Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
So. It happened. My Tibook bit the dust.

We use the machine is our band, and I was opening up the lid to set it up with the MIDI keyboard and it cracked.

The thing is, with the drummer and keyboard player banging away, I didn't really hear the crack... and I kept opening it. The hinges both snapped, and we had to support the monitor against a mic stand. Ouch.

Anyway, I have a three year CompUSA warranty and should be able to get a replacement. That said.... I dunno if I should grab a 12" (what i've been lusting after) or a 1ghz 15.... or like, a few ibooks.... or should I suffer w/o laptop for a few weeks and see what's new coming out.

Now remember, I won't have to pay at all...so it doesn't hurt if I end up a generation behind.

Attachments

• deadti2.jpg
    deadti2.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 310

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ah, nuts, sorry to see that. Although the macro on that pic its hard to know exactly what happened.

Its only one week away till you find out about the new machines. Get this one fixed, sell it off and then pay for a new one if you have the resources.....

D

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ah, nuts, sorry to see that. Although the macro on that pic its hard to know exactly what happened.

Its only one week away till you find out about the new machines. Get this one fixed, sell it off and then pay for a new one if you have the resources.....

D

Basically both hinges snapped. One went and the other went when I opened it.

So the screen is kinda floppy and limp.

I have a replacement warranty from CompUSA...but I don't wanna sit on this...hate the idea of just having it sitting there broken.

So i think i'm gonna xfer my files today and just go out there. Get the replacement (whatever that may be) and if they release something new, just keep the replacement boxed and ebay it. Or just be happy with it. ;) Granted, I don't use the heck out of a laptop-- My Dual GHZ tower is my main performer. So a slight increase would be acceptable for me.

Blech though. Nasty shizzle

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Those awful hinges are the main reason Apple needs to bring out the Aluminum 15". Repair costs are well over $1000.:( The hinge design on the AlBooks is greatly improved.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by evoluzione

hmm, i need a screen like that actually, wanna put it in my car (if i get it) and watch movies....

actually that's not a bad thing - even if you just keep the TiPB and 'mod' it a bit so that the screen stays separate.

Although it might take a bit of work to get it right, you need power and the signal.....

let us know what you end up doing.

D

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by cubist
Those awful hinges are the main reason Apple needs to bring out the Aluminum 15". Repair costs are well over $1000.:( The hinge design on the AlBooks is greatly improved.

The interesting thing is, the guy who designed the mechanism for the hinge is a friend of a friend who went to CMU in Pittsburgh.

Well, if nothing else, I'll get it fixed free of charge. *sigh*

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
While I have sympathy for your loss, I can only imagine that u have a degree of happiness with this...given our discussions on our Ti's. ;)

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Actually, I happen to be in the market for a Tibook w/ a broken hinge. I want to use it with another monitor. Would you sell it?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Gutted...:(

I'd wait out the new announcements, my 17 is in for repair, and dropping to the 15 again feels really cramped, I'd reckon going to the 12 might feel the same way.

Some good deals to be had on 1Ghz Ti's at the moment though.:D

I think the new PB's are going to be pricey and not avaliable straight away, you could end up with a 3 month wait again.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by pncc
Actually, I happen to be in the market for a Tibook w/ a broken hinge. I want to use it with another monitor. Would you sell it?

If i didn't have warranty, i'd sell it straightaway. But i have the really expensive "replacement" warrant from CompUSA so i think i might see what they have to say first. :D

As for waiting... if i could, i would. But while i don't use my lappie alot, I DO have a need for it. So i probably will be happy with whatever I can get for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.