PDA

View Full Version : ibook + external monitor

maradong
Jun 17, 2003, 10:15 AM
Hiya all,
just would like to know if it is possible to attach a secondary monitor to the ibook 12 or 14 inch, things like a cinema display, the 20 '' one, not the 23 it s far to largs as well for my desk as for my wallet ;-).

in everyday use, is the ibook fast enough ? i know this has been discussed so often on those ibook or powerbook threads. but just once, in general.- like photoshoping. mostly sufing, listinging to itunes permanently, looking vidoes, and so on.

what is the capacitiy of the battery in sleep mode ?

if i connect to a linux server using x11, and i put the ibook to sleep. what will happen with the connections i have still got with the server, namely with the windows that are still open.

Well that s everything i can imagine at the moment. ,-)

what about the ripping speed for the aac files ? 128 kbit ?

lolbro
Jun 17, 2003, 10:52 AM
i believe that the ibook monitor output is the VGA (same as my PB 12)... to hook up with a Apple's Cinema Display, you neeed a VGA to ADC converter....(those are pretty expensive around $250, I saw it at an ad at MacWorld magazine).

By the way, iBook only support Mirror Display... not Extended Display!

Ervino
Jun 17, 2003, 11:12 AM
Maybe mine is a really dumb question, but there is a darn way to *close* the lid of an iBook linked to an external monitor *without* putting the iBook in sleep mode, but deactivating the internal display backlighting, so tu use only the external monitor???

Frankly I have been unable to find a way to do such thing, either under MacOs 9.2.2 or MacOs X 10.2... :(

Any help will be VERY appreciated!!! :D

MacBoyX
Jun 17, 2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by maradong
Hiya all,
just would like to know if it is possible to attach a secondary monitor to the ibook 12 or 14 inch, things like a cinema display, the 20 '' one, not the 23 it s far to largs as well for my desk as for my wallet ;-).

You'd need a VGA to ADC adapter pretty expensive and you have only Mirroring unless you use that HACK that was listed in one of the other threads yesterday

in everyday use, is the ibook fast enough ? i know this has been discussed so often on those ibook or powerbook threads. but just once, in general.- like photoshoping. mostly sufing, listinging to itunes permanently, looking vidoes, and so on.

To me yes it has been just great. I use mine DAILY for Surfing, editing pics, emailing, always with my iTunes running. I'd recommend MAXING out the RAM. It's worth it.

Mine has lasted over 6 days in sleep mode

if i connect to a linux server using x11, and i put the ibook to sleep. what will happen with the connections i have still got with the server, namely with the windows that are still open.

I know nothing about this! :)

128 AAC sounds as good as miny 168MP3's.

MacBoyX

RBMaraman
Jun 17, 2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Ervino
Maybe mine is a really dumb question, but there is a darn way to *close* the lid of an iBook linked to an external monitor *without* putting the iBook in sleep mode, but deactivating the internal display backlighting, so tu use only the external monitor???

Frankly I have been unable to find a way to do such thing, either under MacOs 9.2.2 or MacOs X 10.2... :(

Any help will be VERY appreciated!!! :D

I have the answer you've been looking for.

To use the iBook (closed) with an external monitor, you must have the monitor and an external keyboard connected to the machine.

Problem solved!

GulGnu
Jun 17, 2003, 12:07 PM
Hiya all,

Well that s everything i can imagine at the moment. ,-)

Hi! Just got myself a spanking new 12" iBook, switching over from XP. (my first mac even! =) ) A couple of points / observations:

1. I am very pleased with my purchase.

2. Max out the RAM. With maxed out ram, I haven't got any speed issues at all with everyday use, except for, of course, Virtual PC. =P

3. Don't get the RAM from Apple. If you configure the iBook with extra RAM at the Apple store, they will rob you blind. Get RAM from another dealer instead. (I reccommend the 512 MB 100 MHz SODIMM to max it out)

4. Get yourself a proper mouse, with a scrollwheel and two buttons. Apple has great right-click functionality in OS X (One click Google searches on highlighted text? I was pretty impressed when I noticed =P) Why they insist on shipping computers with one-button mice is beyond me - most people out there have used a computer by now, and is fully capable of handling two buttons =)

Regards / GulGnu

-Stabil som fan!

Ervino
Jun 17, 2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by RBMaraman
I have the answer you've been looking for.

To use the iBook (closed) with an external monitor, you must have the monitor and an external keyboard connected to the machine.

Problem solved!

I beg your pardon?

*Obviously* I have the monitor and external keyboard connected to the iBook. But if I close the lid of the iBook, it goes in sleep mode...

Daveman Deluxe
Jun 17, 2003, 12:12 PM

I've had my iBook for about a year now and I've been happier with it than any other computer to date. It has enough power to do the MP3/AAC thing and I use Photoshop on a regular basis--I've used machines that were faster for it, but it's acceptable unless you use complex filters.

It's actually an excellent general-use machine. I use it for iMovie on occasion too and it works acceptably well (but definitely use a Power Mac if you have the option).

If you're doing nothing else at the time, a CD will usually rip at around 6.0x.

RBMaraman
Jun 17, 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Ervino
I beg your pardon?

*Obviously* I have the monitor and external keyboard connected to the iBook. But if I close the lid of the iBook, it goes in sleep mode...

Hmmm...Well, that's interesting.

Whenever I have an external monitor and keyboard connected, and I close my iBook's (500mhz snow iBook) lid, my machine stays awake.

Have you searched the knowledge database on Apple's website? Maybe try repairing permissions? Like I said, having an external monitor and keyboard connected works for me.

I wish I could have been more helpful.

Huked on Fonick
Jun 17, 2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by RBMaraman
Hmmm...Well, that's interesting.

Whenever I have an external monitor and keyboard connected, and I close my iBook's (500mhz snow iBook) lid, my machine stays awake.

Have you searched the knowledge database on Apple's website? Maybe try repairing permissions? Like I said, having an external monitor and keyboard connected works for me.

I wish I could have been more helpful.

you can do it on the old 500mhz snow ibooks but anything after that you cant to do it on, however iam not sure but u may be able to hook up an old apple keyboard (with a powerbuttion) and turn it on via the power buttion...... and run it on an extrernal display, i know i can do it with my 600mhz ibook. but i have never tried doing it with my 800........(dont have a keyboard like that)

benixau
Jun 18, 2003, 03:35 AM
to wake a mac up that is in sleep mode - plug-in or pull out a USB device. any device will do.

you could pul out and then put back in the keyboard, or the mouse that is attached to the keyboard.

as long as the device is attaced to a device that is in the end attached somehow (no matter how many hubs) back to the macs hard USB ports (built-in ones, since ibooks dont have pcmcia no worries here) then it will wake to reconfigure the usb set-up.

how do i know? 20 mins after i go to sleep my mac wakes up because my printer goes into sleep mode - or my mum (im 17) comes in an pulls out the BT adapter cause the flashing light keeps annoying her. i have never ever shutdown my mac. ever. i only restart for updates. so yeah - usb is the key :D

maradong
Jun 18, 2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by MacBoyX
You'd need a VGA to ADC adapter pretty expensive and you have only Mirroring unless you use that HACK that was listed in one of the other threads yesterday

got a link ? can t find it ,-)

MacBoyX
Jun 18, 2003, 09:53 AM
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

maradong
Jun 18, 2003, 10:25 AM
thx .