PDA

View Full Version : PS3 -- The Cheapest Consumer Level SUPER Computer?

bobber205
Apr 13, 2007, 10:13 PM
Let's all face facts. I could easily, via ebay or here, get a ps3 for < 500. :D

I have been craving the processing power of a mac pro for months. But today I thought "Why not get a ps3, put linux on it and go that way". Of course it can't run OS X legally, but it's still an uber fast machine.

Is this reasonable? What do you guys think? Would it be a good video editing machine w/ a upgraded HD? I'm thinking so. ;)

Any comments? Am I stupid?

rockthecasbah
Apr 13, 2007, 10:31 PM
I thought the whole thing about the PS3 was that it was insanely powerful for video games but as for processing power in terms of straight computing output it falls short because of its cell architecture... :confused:

n-abounds
Apr 13, 2007, 10:34 PM
How much RAM does it have?

Chone
Apr 13, 2007, 10:36 PM

I have been craving the processing power of a mac pro for months. But today I thought "Why not get a ps3, put linux on it and go that way". Of course it can't run OS X legally, but it's still an uber fast machine.

Is this reasonable? What do you guys think? Would it be a good video editing machine w/ a upgraded HD? I'm thinking so. ;)

Your logic works but it has a few flaws, first video editing is a highly resource and ram intensive task, the PS3 is limited to 256MB which makes even regular tasks clumsy. Second not many apps are geared for use in the CELL architecture so in general it will feel slightly slow.

A Mac Pro loaded with RAM and a nice videocard will be a lot faster than a PS3, hell if you chuck a 8800GTX in it even games will look better on the Mac Pro...

n-abounds
Apr 13, 2007, 11:10 PM
^Load it up with RAM (if possible?) and it would be a lot better than similarly priced computers. I mean, the Mac Mini starts at $600...

pseudobrit
Apr 13, 2007, 11:27 PM

I can tell you first hand Linux is dog slow on the PS3.

Bill Gates
Apr 14, 2007, 12:01 AM
^Load it up with RAM (if possible?) and it would be a lot better than similarly priced computers. I mean, the Mac Mini starts at $600...
It's not upgradeable, at least not by conventional means.

zap2
Apr 14, 2007, 12:04 AM
lol....people really bought into the PS3 being a super computer..no it won`t be fast, not a useable desktop computer IMO

GFLPraxis
Apr 14, 2007, 12:53 AM

If you think the PS3 even approaches the power of a Mac Pro, you're insane.

The PS3 is capable of performing very well at extremely specific types of work. If you wrote a video editing application tailored SPECIFICALLY for the Cell processor, re-written from the ground up, you could theoretically achieve extremely good performance, though probably not eight-core Mac Pro level...

But Linux isn't written to use the Cell's SPE's, nor is any Linux video editing software written to. You'd have to develop a new OS and video editing software from the ground up to take advantage of it. Anything you run now will only use the Cell's main core, which is a slow stripped-down G5-based processor (like one of the three in the 360), on its own. With only 256 MB of RAM, as well (+ 256 MB of VRAM).

It'd be like using an AppleTV with a souped-up graphics card as a video editing machine. Before fanboys get all riled up, remember that I'm talking about a PS3 without any of the Cell processor's SPE core or advantages, using only a tiny piece of its power.

bobber205
Apr 14, 2007, 01:30 AM
Well there goes that idea. ;)

Guess it's time to start thinking about selling my macbook and upgrading to a iMac 20" once again huh?

iBookG4user
Apr 14, 2007, 01:37 AM

Guess it's time to start thinking about selling my macbook and upgrading to a iMac 20" once again huh?

You could put the $500 towards buying a PowerMac G5 off ebay, they are still quite powerful computers. I've seen single processor G5s go for around $500 before, so duals may be a bit more, but it would give you an upgradeable desktop computer.

EM87
Apr 14, 2007, 02:26 AM
The PS3 is not good for Linux, it is slow as a snail. Would this be because Sony do not let Linux use the RSX chip at all and everything has to be done by a stripped down G5 CPU with only 256MB RAM?

PS3 is a great gaming console, well if it had some games it would be, but it is far from a computer replacement.

GFLPraxis
Apr 14, 2007, 02:28 AM

I'm in the same boat, but I wonder if there will be any performance improvement?

iMacs use the same Merom-based processors...the Core 2's in the iMacs are the same as in the MacBooks. I'm not doing any heavy video editing (just some iMovie), so outside of gaming, will I see any significant difference between a MacBook with 2 GB of RAM hooked up to a 20" display, and an iMac?

Since my 2 GB upgrade my MacBook feels like a new machine. 'tis beautiful.

ReanimationLP
Apr 14, 2007, 03:01 AM
For computer uses, the 256MB of RAM and the odd Cell processor as well as the GPU being locked out of Linux makes it a very poor computer for the money.

You can get an Mac Mini for the same price that would be faster.

Game consoles should never try to be computers until they have similar hardware and upgradeable memory.

Nicolasdec
Apr 14, 2007, 08:34 AM
How much RAM does it have?

512MB, thats the problem. not enought to run a good pc.:) :) :)

greatdevourer
Apr 14, 2007, 08:50 AM
512MB, thats the problem. not enought to run a good pc.:) :) :) 256, actually - even worse (512 is actually 256 [CPU] + 256 [GPU])

sikkinixx
Apr 14, 2007, 09:08 AM

WEll FYI, I got $900 cdn for my macbook, same specs as yours just like 4 days ago that only had a week of applecare left and a missing remote so get while the going is good!

And just like others have said, Yellow Dog ain't all that fast. They are pushing Sony to open up the RSX to them though but I don't think Sony wants to for security/whatever reasons.

Dagless
Apr 14, 2007, 09:56 AM
I was planning on getting a PS3 for Linux, but the ram limitations and reports of it being slow sort of stubbed that idea out. I just built a linux computer from left over components around the house and realised I don't need linux for free instead.

EvryDayImShufln
Apr 14, 2007, 01:16 PM
What about the xbox 360, would that run linux better than the PS3? And would it run fast? lol

xparaparafreakx
Apr 14, 2007, 01:53 PM
The porgrams have to be able to use all the cell processors. I have Yellow Dog Linux and it runs VLC, Openoffice and Firefox no problem. There is a little lag opening it but once opened, its fine.